Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

The Difference Between New Dread Growth and Loose Hair ??

Brandy :]
@brandy
12 years ago
106 posts

I looked around the site and didnt really find any topics on this so here goes... in between some of my dreads i have pretty large chunks of loose hair, and not just baby short loose hair or frizzies..hair that sectioned like 1/2 by 1/2 inch and 1 by 1 inch...and its much longer than my dreads. Now i seperate my dreads..but ive never had to pull LOTS of hair outta one due to congoing or whatever..so i dont really know if this is loose hair or if its because my actual hair has actually gotten very long and i now have new dreads thaat are forming? if they are new dreads, i would like to but a bead on them so they arent being sucked into other dreads, or if it is just loose hair id like to wrap it around the closest dread and put a bead on it because its getting hard to keep the inbeetween hair from growing all my dreads together...

Ive explained this the best way i can.lol

so how do you tell the difference? or does anyone know by my description if it is loose hair or ne dreadies :)

thankyou for your help so far everyone. my journey has been wonderful and i am so excited to live the rest of my days furthering my spiritual/dreaddy journey.

dreads really have a way of showing you what love is.

updated by @brandy: 01/13/15 09:17:56PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

loose hair tends to mean hair as long as the rest that hasnt yet dreaded new growth is hair between dreads from seperarting thats up to 6 inches at which point it dreads

you dont need to know what it is or bead or wrap it just let it do what it does it will dread where it wants

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Brandy :]
@brandy
12 years ago
106 posts

alrighty, i guess i am worrying about it too much :) its not that the look of it is bothering me, i love my dreads, but its painful when they start to stick to other dreads.

Manj
@manj
12 years ago
18 posts

Does this mean that hair will still sprout from the spaces between theseparatedsections at the root, so that over time you have more dreads than you first started with?

soaring eagle said:

loose hair tends to mean hair as long as the rest that hasnt yet dreaded new growth is hair between dreads from seperarting thats up to 6 inches at which point it dreads

you dont need to know what it is or bead or wrap it just let it do what it does it will dread where it wants

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yes well maybe you wikl constantlyhave the number change if you allow them to congo and alow the loose hairs bey=tween dreads to foem new dreads

or ifyou maintain them tioo much they never change you force hairs into existing dreads so no new dreads form

the new growth loose hairs may join dreads..or become dreads so it varies on how much if at all becomes new dreads

i constantly find new dreads at 22 years but most then confgo and join other dreads

so the number changes weekly almost

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
eLPea
@elpea
12 years ago
17 posts

Only you know if it's a new dread forming, or just loose hair that has yet to be sucked up!

If you'd like it to be its own dread, put a bead on it or wrap it or TnR it or something.

If you'd like it to join another dread, take the loose hair you want to join and attach it to a dread with a bead, a wrap, just some palm rolling, or (GASP) a gentle crochet. I know, I know, you guys hate the crochet hook - but for stick-straight hair, it can be a nice quick way to encourage hair in a certain direction and when done in moderation doesn't result in horrible damage.

Manj
@manj
12 years ago
18 posts

That makes sense. I always wonder how some people have so many dreads..I assumed new hair would sprout out from the scalp where there is space and then as described, eitherCongo,join another dread or make it into a aseparatedread.

eLPea
@elpea
12 years ago
17 posts

It totally will if you give it time! But there are some options to speed up the process if the frizz is driving you crazy. Don't worry about it though, if you just let it be, it will definitely get caught up in another dread or form its own in a little while :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form