Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

brand new, could use some tips if anyones willing to help thanks

Adam Messier
@adam-messier
12 years ago
10 posts

been using this site for about a week n a half now to get my basics on dreads, and its helped alot, but i backcombed my hair with my sister randomly one night and we were up till 4am and we didnt finish all of the knots so after a few days they came out so i got them twisted -__- not sure if i soulda done that. if anyone has advice on how to keep up with my soon to be dreads and how to lock them thatd be great! im curently using a gel product although i forgot the name

enjoy the pictures!

first one is when my sis did it and its backcombed dreads2.jpg

second is the transition from backcombed to twist twist.jpg

third is complete twist photo is kinda bad twist2.JPG

updated by @adam-messier: 02/09/18 03:03:20AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

the twists are a disaster a waxy gelly disaster

the backcomb tho not my fave methfod was perfectly fine and woulda dreaded if u left em alone ..if they loosened even fell out completely they would dread fine

i would comb em out (get a refund if u paid for the twists)

remove all wax and gel

i wouldnt backcomb again it alreeady damaged the hair so go natural or tnr

tnr will give u a good start

u gotta educate your mom that the right way is to alow it to form on its own organicly

the wrong way is to go to a salon get coated in wax and waste mopney and have it never dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

agreed. Id wash out and start over. I love the back combed look. It's not the best method, but they would have locked up perfectly, and the sections were really nice

Adam Messier
@adam-messier
12 years ago
10 posts

thanks everyone, im gunna wash them out an restart but i swim so i may wait till the end of the season to redo them or just tnr or backcomb again this week i just have moremaintenance on them because i wear a cap but they get a little wet in the backbut i agree i loved the way they looked with the backcombed method

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

be careful. All that chlorine in pools can wreak havoc on normal hair. Make sure you keep your scalp moisturized. And let it dry out completely before getting it wet again

Adam Messier
@adam-messier
12 years ago
10 posts

well i took them out today after practice, the wax came right off surprisingly in the shower so now im just gunna rewash it to get the last of it out. but im gunna be redreading it after my seasons over witch is mid march. im debating if i should start letting them grownatural during the rest of the season or not. id love for yourinputs weather i should do that or just start clean when my season ends

my hair is aliveee :) thought after the backcombing chlorine and twisting it would be gone for sure haha

updated by @adam-messier: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

You're lucky. I had a horrific experience with wax. I'm sure you can find it all over the site. I've told it to tons of people to make them feel better about their using wax.

I'd just let them start to grow natural. Keep them covered when you swim, though. That'll help avoid damaging them with all that chlorine.

If you go neglect, by march, you'll have some sweet locks. You won't have to do anything to them. If you start TnR at that point, you'll set yourself back a while in your process.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

agree on natural but few chlorine tips

before u swim saturate your dreads in fresh unchlorinated water if they are soaked very lil chlorine soaks in

washafter but not withbaking soda!

botv are alkaline u will really dry it out withanotVer alkaline

acv isnt bad tho wash woth dread soaop th acv

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Adam Messier
@adam-messier
12 years ago
10 posts

thanks for the ideas i think i may try the natural way. when i do that how offten should i be washing my hair? and also when itsnaturali assume i just start twisting my hair once march comes around?

updated by @adam-messier: 07/25/15 06:02:06AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Don't twist them at all. That causes weak spots at the root. You could end up pinching it so much that it breaks off. Even light twisting causes lots of damage.

Like I said, if you just stop combing and use residue free shampoo right now, by March you'll be 3 months into them. they'll really start to look like locks, and you won't have to do anything to them.

normally I'd say wash every 2-3 days at the beginning. But you need to make sure your hair is completely dry between washes. How often do you swim? I'd make it a point to wash them while you shower afterwards. Keep them dry on the days you don't wash them

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form