Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New dreadhead in need of incouragement..

shannon ferris
@shannon-ferris
13 years ago
2 posts
I started my dreads on nov. 30th, 2011. They look pretty bad. Loose hairs EVERYWHERE, roots matting together, and some are locking great while others stay loose. I just need someone to tell me itll getbetter w time..
updated by @shannon-ferris: 01/13/15 09:15:03PM
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts

Hello Shannon. I understand your concerns. Dreads happen over time. Twist and rip is a starting method. It takes at least a year for dreads to become mature. Your babies are less than a week old. So of course they are gonna be messy. For the next year or so.....your dreads are going to go thru a lot of changes. They will get even messier. Some may even come completely undone. They will start forming loops and kinks and lumps. Those strange and wonderful loops happen when the hair is actually knotting. The knots turn into dreads.

What your hair is doing right now is normal. But remember dreads do not "happen" over night. It is a long process. In order to have happy healthy beautiful dreads.....just leave your hair alone. I know it is hard to do but The only thing you need to do is to keep your hair clean (wash it at least once a week) and gently pull dreads away from each other occasionally. Dreads like to eat each other, especially in the first year.

Loose hair is a fact of life. It is just part of having glorious knots. Don't worry about loose hair. Most of it will eventually find it's way into a dread or will form baby dreads by itself. It takes a while so be patient and stop worrying. Cause there will always be loose hair.

Dreading is a long process. That is why it is called a journey. So good luck on your journey :)

Jdwood
@jdwood
13 years ago
275 posts

Yup...all normal. It took me a long time to even have knots so your progress after less then a week is GOOD! So hang in there after a while all of your worries will be a thing of the past.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

if theywerent that way then youd have something to worry about

tho the matting at the roots kmjeans it will dread fast it also means u got to seperate often to prevent congos

they have to be loose

they have to be messy

they must go wild and go crazy before settling down inmaturity

just enjoy the process

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
The Knatty Lioness
@the-knatty-lioness
12 years ago
4 posts

I'm curious i noticed the date of ur post and my hair is going thru the same things, they looked nice for a couple weeks i'm almost on my month anniversary and i woke this morning to a wild crazy mess on my head lol, i cried but jumped on here and read all the stories about others going thru the same thing, so i just calmed my mind let reality take hold this is all part of my journey and my locks are on their as well. so how do u like them now a year later?!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form