Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Allergic to most plants- dread help??

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
13 years ago
409 posts

Yes, this is real. I have a kidney condition which does not allow me to filter out the salicylates from plant extracts when I am exposed to them. The tubules in my kidneys are malformed. When I am exposed to salicylates I feel like I have the flu X's two hundred and am bed ridden with pain. I have meds to force my kidneys to do what they're supposed to do but the long term treatment is well... to NOT come into contact with that stuff! My meds can only override so much. And so I read labels like crazy.I have blocked my meds by coming into contact with a mislabeled product a few times and had to call the company up to correct them. So yeah, I'm pretty sensitive to natural products.

SE said

sea salt dries the hair so it knots faster

rosemaery is awesome for dandruff

pepermint helps the itchies

for softness jojoba or aloe but that will slow progress till mature

AWESOME! .... and I can't use any of it. No extracts. Can't even use mint toothpaste and you can imagine what a bitch that must be. I've learned that Baking Soda is good for more than just dreads, it's awesome on teeth. I've only been dealing with this kidney issue for a few years and my depression over losing the ability to use these ingredients was pretty fierce at first. But I got over it. You have to do what you have to do.
I use Baking Soda/ACV to wash and sea salt water sometimes to help my roots lock up(I am two weeks into this so am trying to start off right) but other than that I'm product free. What can I use for the itchies and to keep my scalp happy? I am not suffering horribly or anything right now but I do want to have a plan if/when I need it.
Can we use vegetable glycerin in our dreads? It rinses clean from what I've seen on my skin.
For those who have read my profile, yes, I do use shea butter on my skin(used to use it on my hair) and that is one of the very few plants I can have contact with. Shea, cocoa, wheat germ, oat, soy, rice bran, and corn are the only others I can have contact with without having a reaction. This limitation doesn't pertain to food, the stomach acid breaks it down fine before it reaches the kidneys; it's the skin acting like a sponge that's the problem. All the "GREEN!" products out here now are literally making me sick. So I have to read labels like a fiend.
Anyway, vegetable glycerin? Can I spray a diluted mix of this on my scalp to help the itchies?

updated by @angel-frye: 02/14/15 09:46:17AM
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

Wow! I don't even know what to tell you! I am so sorry that this is how it is for you...I can imagine. Only a month ago, I found out that I had a gluten problem. Eating even a mouth full can cause me to be ill for several days...and unfortunately, gluten is in EVERYTHING! I too must read labels and even then...you may find that the gluten was not listed and you get very sick. It is really difficult. People don't always understand and you feel hopeless at times. Sending you love and blessings...stay strong my friend...I wish you well <3

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
13 years ago
409 posts

Thank you, Panterra. Going through the toothpaste and mouthwash isle to purchase these items for my family makes me grieve a bit every time. And the lip balms! GAH!!! Burt's Beees is the shit, man! No more... Now I make my own lip balm with cocoa butter, shea butter, and rice bran oil. You just learn to adapt.

I fibbed. Actually some foods CAN cause a reaction with me but I just learn to stay away from them. Like salad dressing. Look at the ingredients. Sunflower oil, safflower oil, peanut oil, olive oil... yep. Those are salicylates! So I use watered down honey and or plain balsamic vinegar from the bottle.

Gluten intolerance, eek. Panterra, that's a serious issue. Take care that you find a good support group/site(s) to get involved in with recipes because from what I hear it can really take you on a roller coaster ride. It's good that you got diagnosed before your life was threatened. Or, I hope that was the case! Is there an emergency shot or medication you can take/keep with you if you do eat something with gluten?

I double up on my med dose if I accidentally come into contact with a salicylate but even then I feel like I got slammed against a wall for at least a day.

And now I'm worried about the lice issue. What if? I can't use tea tree oil. And you want to know what the irony is here? I make a tea tree oil ointment for my kids. *headdesk* I make stuff that I can't use. I have to use heavy duty rubber gloves when I make the stuff and be careful not to inhale the fumes when it's on the stove. But with all the scrapes and crap my kids get it's the most natural option to take care of them and I like that. I bottle it and they slather it on themselves whenever they get a boo boo. I actually used it on their hair once in kindergarten when they got lice because it's butter based.

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

Oh man. Life can be such a challenge. My story in a nutshell...Everyone in my entire family has a "bad stomach". So for many years I thought it was a given that I would too. I was told I had gastritis and I.B.S. a few years back, but was unaware (as most people are) that that is not a conclusion...it is a symptom. Why do you have gastritis or I.B.S? No one told me why. So for years I have suffered with asssorted complaints without realizing they were all connected!!! Who thinks that joint pain is connected to your stomach? Or that headaches and intestinal cramps are from the same source? One night, I Googled my symptoms...ALL of them...and what appeared was Celiac disease! I was shocked, until I read a book called "Wheat Belly". That was enough for me!! I found that the wheat of today has been super engineered, just like most foods and it is a dangerous thing for ANYONE...much less someone with a sensitivity. I went off gluten a month ago, and within 3 days I felt a world of difference! My belly stopped hurting and I could actually go to the restroom normally (instead of only once a week!). I went to have a colonoscopy/endoscopy to see if I was not just sensitive but Celiac and to see what intestinal damage I had thus far. Anyway, the doctor said my colon was fine but that I had severe gastritis and to eat more whole grain!!!! I found out through my own research that many people who are gluten intolerant don't register as so on blood testsor when internally examined...and because of this doctors ignore their insistance that wheat and gluten is their problem. So, I asked why I had gastritis (which is severe redness and inflammation internally)...the doctor couldn't answer me. So, I decided to take control of my own health. On Monday, I still have to see an Endocrinologist for my Thyroid because according to bloodwork, my thyroid is not functioning right...another result of gluten intolerance. Unfortunately, there is no med or help for me if I eat gluten...just a heating pad, tylenol and time. I have lost alot of enthusiasm for food. I read labels constantly but still worry. I bring my own snacks in my bag all the time. But it is hard to explain when friends and family who are uninformed keep saying.."Here, have some...it won't kill you to have just a small bit." Actually, one bite can make me severly ill for 3-4 days!!!! It is a real challenge....so, I feel for you. Alot of foods don't even say gluten on them....but contain gluten because of processing...like some vinegars, beer and some perservatives. You mentioned salad dressing...gluten lurks in most of those and marinades and sauces....I was also shocked to find out just this past week that as you also mentioned....lip balm, lotion, sunscreen, etc. can contain gluten too and be absorbed through my skin and make me sick!!! I feel like I am suddenly in another world where danger is around every corner. It really sucks...ALOT!

Angel Frye said:

Thank you, Panterra. Going through the toothpaste and mouthwash isle to purchase these items for my family makes me grieve a bit every time. And the lip balms! GAH!!! Burt's Beees is the shit, man! No more... Now I make my own lip balm with cocoa butter, shea butter, and rice bran oil. You just learn to adapt.

I fibbed. Actually some foods CAN cause a reaction with me but I just learn to stay away from them. Like salad dressing. Look at the ingredients. Sunflower oil, safflower oil, peanut oil, olive oil... yep. Those are salicylates! So I use watered down honey and or plain balsamic vinegar from the bottle.

Gluten intolerance, eek. Panterra, that's a serious issue. Take care that you find a good support group/site(s) to get involved in with recipes because from what I hear it can really take you on a roller coaster ride. It's good that you got diagnosed before your life was threatened. Or, I hope that was the case! Is there an emergency shot or medication you can take/keep with you if you do eat something with gluten?

I double up on my med dose if I accidentally come into contact with a salicylate but even then I feel like I got slammed against a wall for at least a day.

And now I'm worried about the lice issue. What if? I can't use tea tree oil. And you want to know what the irony is here? I make a tea tree oil ointment for my kids. *headdesk* I make stuff that I can't use. I have to use heavy duty rubber gloves when I make the stuff and be careful not to inhale the fumes when it's on the stove. But with all the scrapes and crap my kids get it's the most natural option to take care of them and I like that. I bottle it and they slather it on themselves whenever they get a boo boo. I actually used it on their hair once in kindergarten when they got lice because it's butter based.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

well

vinager wikll help

shae or cocoa will help

allthese things will slow profgress some but if u put the shae or coacoa on the scalp only its probly ok and

well

just wash more often everytime u starrt to itch wash

i guess thosesoaps on dreadlockshampoo.com are out of the question too?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
13 years ago
409 posts

Yes, SE, unfortunately those shampoos are chock full of salicylates. Can't use them. The only two ingredients which aren't SA's are the beer and the kaolin clay. That'd make for a good shaving bar soap, btw. Kaolin clay provides 'slip' for the razor to smoothly glide on the skin.

Panterra, Grrrrr to those uninformed 'friends' of yours who try to push gluten-laden foods at you. If they only knew..... It's like telling someone who's deathly allergic to bees, "Hey! The orange trees are blooming. Let's go for a run through the groves!"... right on the days when the bees are out doing their duty. That's not fun, that's murder. And I had no idea that gluten could be absorbed by the skin. Makes sense though now that I think about it. I actually block my meds walking on freshly cut grass, how 'bout THAT weirdness?!! And I can't cut onions or fresh herbs with my uncovered hands. Our skin does act like a sponge.

Further on the subject of allergies to salicylates I have now today discovered that I am in need of a good clarifying shampoo. This bites ass. I can't use the typical bar soaps for dreadheads because of the extracts and whatnot. But I can use all the chemical crap out here in bottles. BUT a lot of those same shampoos I can use aren't good for dreads; they contain too many moisturizers. Ideas anyone?

Currently I use 1 tsp of baking soda to 1 cup of water and then 2 tsp of white vinegar to 1 cup of water. I am noticing some slight stickiness on my hair when I'm squeezing the water out. What shampoo is good for clarifying and cleaning up dreads but does not contain aloe or any other plant extracts?

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

Angel, don't know if you know, that I am a hairstylist (of 31 years!). Let me do a bit of research on this...maybe I can figure something out. I have a network of fellow hairstylists who know a wealth of info. Just so I am clear....we are looking for plant extracts as a no-no right? If it is like gluten, it masquerades under other names....anything like that for salicylates? I will put my thinking cap on and get back with you on this okay? :) Much love girlfriend.

Angel Frye said:

Yes, SE, unfortunately those shampoos are chock full of salicylates. Can't use them. The only two ingredients which aren't SA's are the beer and the kaolin clay. That'd make for a good shaving bar soap, btw. Kaolin clay provides 'slip' for the razor to smoothly glide on the skin.

Panterra, Grrrrr to those uninformed 'friends' of yours who try to push gluten-laden foods at you. If they only knew..... It's like telling someone who's deathly allergic to bees, "Hey! The orange trees are blooming. Let's go for a run through the groves!"... right on the days when the bees are out doing their duty. That's not fun, that's murder. And I had no idea that gluten could be absorbed by the skin. Makes sense though now that I think about it. I actually block my meds walking on freshly cut grass, how 'bout THAT weirdness?!! And I can't cut onions or fresh herbs with my uncovered hands. Our skin does act like a sponge.

Further on the subject of allergies to salicylates I have now today discovered that I am in need of a good clarifying shampoo. This bites ass. I can't use the typical bar soaps for dreadheads because of the extracts and whatnot. But I can use all the chemical crap out here in bottles. BUT a lot of those same shampoos I can use aren't good for dreads; they contain too many moisturizers. Ideas anyone?

Currently I use 1 tsp of baking soda to 1 cup of water and then 2 tsp of white vinegar to 1 cup of water. I am noticing some slight stickiness on my hair when I'm squeezing the water out. What shampoo is good for clarifying and cleaning up dreads but does not contain aloe or any other plant extracts?

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
13 years ago
409 posts

Thank you!! I've been reading quite a lot here and see where you've been giving quite a bit of advice based on your years of experience. I kind of figured you might have an idea or two to throw out here. I am all ears.

Yes, most plant extracts are a no-no. And just like gluten, salicylates masquerade under a few pharmaceutical chemical names. Pretty much anything with 'sal' in it is a salicylate but there are a few tricky ones I have to be wary of and just plain research. If I'm not sure then I have to research the ingredient. Wikipedia is a godsend.

Example: Coppertone Continuous Spray Sunscreen ingredients

Active Ingredients:Homosalate (5%) (Sunscreen), Octinoxate (7.5%) (Sunscreen), Octisalate (5%) (Sunscreen), Oxybenzone (3%) (Sunscreen)

The homeoSALate and OctiSALate are all salicylates. The SAL in the chemical name gives it away.

Another example: L'Oreal Vive Pro Smooth Gloss Anti-Frizz Shampoo

Ingredients: Aqua/Water/Eau, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Coco Betaine, Laureth 5 Carboxylic Acid, Trimethylsilylamodimethicone, Cocamide MIPA, Sodium Chloride, Polyquaternium 10, PPG 5 Ceteth 20, Perfume (Fragrance), Sodium Methylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin, Sodium Hydroxide, PEG 60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Hexylcinnamal, Butylphenyl Methlyproprional, Linalool, Limonene, Methylcocoate, Benzyl Salicylate, Camellia Sativa (Green Tea) Seed Oil, Citronellol, Amyl Cinnamal, Alpha Isomethyl Ionone, Geraniol, Sodium Cocoate, BHT, FD&C Yellow 5 Aluminum Lake, Red 4 (CI 14700)

In this long list of chemicals the salicylates are: hydrogenated castor oil, benzyl SALicylate, green tea seed oil, citronellol, & amyl cinnamal(that's their fancy way of saying oil of cinnamon!).

The trickiest one I've had to research so far is something called "coconut esters." They're basically the broken down sugars from the palm or coconut oil. I CAN use that, strangely enough; but only because the main chain of salicylates is broken down and the weaker chain is what is left and used as the ingredient.So if it says, "derived from coconut" doesn't necessarily make it bad. It depends on what the chemical is that is derived from the coconut and whether or not I can use it.

It sounds complicated as hell at first glance but I've gotten really good at picking out salicylates at a glance. Now it's second nature to me. If you find something you think looks safe then toss it out here on the thread and we'll take a look at it. Like I said, I've gotten very practiced at breaking down an ingredient list to see if it's safe for me to touch or not.

Anything with 'vegetable glycerin' in it is safe, too. Those are broken down corn or soybean components which are fine.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
13 years ago
409 posts

Algae or the extract of it is a no-no as well. Just read it on a bottle of Suave I was thinking about trying to clarify my hair with. drat!

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
13 years ago
409 posts

Congenital blah blah blah? I've never heard of that, Jaysun. Sounds rare and exotic. Man I'd love me some good grammar tonight! My eyes are tired and I can't read gibberish.

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form