dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hello my name is Tess—

tess2
@tess2
13 years ago
6 posts

Hello my name is Tess!

I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I'm 25 years old, and I'm a graphic design student. I love art and learning from everything and everyone. One day my girlfriend and I started talking how awesome dreadlocks were and how they were so beautiful and we wished we could have them.
Then I'm... well why not? Its just hair. And Ive done about almost every color and every cut (maybe :P)
And then it begun and I started my dreadding process- I'm only 8 weeks old i think. :D

Methods:
I first started backcombing the HELL out of them. Like. I read everywhere "don't back comb more than the first day or so." Well I was so obsessed with them looking perfect I did it almost every day for like a week if not more. I also palm rolled the crap out of them as well.
I was very harsh on my hair. :/
I originally had bleach blonde hair.. and decided I want to be as natural as possible so I stopped doing everything to my hair and dyed it my natural hair color:dark/ash blonde.
I probably would not recommend you dying your hair in the beggining process at all. My locks significantly shrunk. Due to compacting or what have you. They used to be fat, and I miss them! But all is not lost. I have learned to really love and appreciate my hair for what it is. :)

Which is why I now do nothing to it. I don't even palm roll it!~ I can't believe it actually.

Cleaning:
At the very start I was using Paul Mitchells Tea Tree Shampoo. Alright nay sayers bring it on. I know I know shampoo=baddd. But it smell so good. I was hooked. So I used that for like 2 weeks? Maybe it hindered my dreadding process, still not sure. Then I started just soaking my head in a giant pot of hott water and teatree oil. Orgasmic? HELLO! Amazing tingling feeling all over your head :) MMM
After a few weeks I conjoured up a recipe that really helps! And I can't wait to make up new ones.......
baking soda+tea tree oil+warm water+dr. bronners peppermint liquid soap=normal wash
raw apple cider vinegar+tea tree oil+warm water=itchy scalp/dandruff soak

So far Ive been loving my precious unique locks. And can't wait to continue on in my spiritual/emotional/mental/physical/etc dreadlock journey <3

Tess

updated by @tess2: 01/13/15 09:12:47PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

welcome glad u stopped all that nonsense but if u still got rubber bands in take those out imediately!

i was livin in tulsa not too long ago and may go back at some ioint even tho tusa kinda sux i got a schoolbus out there and my best freinds got a log cabin and gonna build an eco dome out there behind the cabin

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
tess2
@tess2
13 years ago
6 posts

yeah tulsa isn't my first choice of living at all. but its where im from, and once imfinished with school.imout! a school bus huh? that sounds awesome!! :)

the only reason i had the rubberbands in is because

1. these two by my neck are trying their hardest to join together lol. and
2. i get so ocd about lose hairs :/

BUT IM TRYING :D hehehe how do you like philly?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

philly is great but depends what area of philly haha ita a great city but certain areas are ..scary haha

i like it here gho but been here toooo long

--
tess2
@tess2
13 years ago
6 posts

wherewould you rather be? :) where is your favorite place?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

oregon colorodo new mexico

few others i guess

--
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

As much as you love the sensation, slow down on all the tea tree. Over time, you will find that your scalp and locs will become very dry and even brittle. Tea tree is great for oiliness and itchies, even pimples on your face...but it is extrememly powerful stuff. Especially since you were bleach blonde and went back to natural with a permanent dye. Even though you don't see the blonde anymore, the hair is still chemically depleted from the bleaching (which is acheived by removing hair molecules to lighten). The new color likely did not entirely fill the gaps in the hair shaft and you need to be a bit gentle with your hair until it is all natural from growth, not just recoloring. Glad to hear you are enjoying your new journey...

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form