Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Greetings to all you fine dreadlocky people :)

The Apprentice Shaman
@the-apprentice-shaman
13 years ago
30 posts

Howdy folks :)

I'm a twenty year old hippy/rocker type person and have just begun studying IT in college. I've been gradually getting more and more fed up about dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a (lazy) long haired male and even briefly toyed with the idea of taking a bic to it! Screw that though, I felt like I was in disguise last time my hair was short. It's around shoulder length, kinda thin and naturally* very straight.

Anyways, I decided to take the plunge and began the dreadification process two days ago. I want to do things pretty naturally, but I'm not averse to giving them a helping hand and/or a bit of a head start! So far I a few at the front back combed and separated with elastic bands and have been rubbing a woolly hat over the rest of my hair every now and again to try and get the message across to my hair. There is also a small block of natural beeswax with my name on it somewhere in the postal service.

Now for the questions!

Should I be back combing the rest of my hair? Should I actually use the beeswax or not? Are the bands going to be doing more harm or good? Should I start working in beads and bits of string soon, or wait for a bit first? How do you get beads to stay in before the hair knots properly anyway?

No pics yet unfortunately, I need to grab a new charger lead for my camera first :/

*Naturally in this context means washing/conditioning around twice a week and combing around that often.

updated by @the-apprentice-shaman: 02/14/15 11:09:32AM
The Apprentice Shaman
@the-apprentice-shaman
13 years ago
30 posts

Okaaay, well a quick read around the forums has already convinced me to ditch the bands and I'm bloody glad I clocked on to this so early. What about the woolly hat rubbing and back combing, are they alright?

Steven Wind
@steven-wind
13 years ago
62 posts

Wax is a no, from what I've read around here. I used to put wax in my hair just because (years ago) and it was so sticky and greasy and gross, and it's not good for dreading your hair. It should be clean and wax-free.
Back combing is okay, to start it, but after you do it once, don't do it again. Let it dread naturally.
I usually put a tam on only when I need it - when I'm doing something that requires me not getting my hair in my face (i.e. taking down notes in class, doing something very hands on at work, etc.) but take it off whenever it's not necessary.
Some say the tam helps, others say no.

I don't think you have to rub your hat on your head? I don't really know what you mean by that.

But really all you have to do is nothing. Back comb to encourage the sections, then let it be.

I wash my hair twice a week with a baking soda wash (most people do 1 tablespoon baking soda to 1 cup water), with 10 drops of tea tree oil and 1 tablespoon of sea salt. I'm only a month and a day in, but my hair already has defined sections and has some areas where dreads are definitely starting to form.

Be patient! You have to earn your dreads :)

hippiegal
@hippiegal
13 years ago
182 posts

Try the Dreaducation link on this site, it's got heaps of info on exactly your questions.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

no wax no bands dont bother backcombing or rubbing you said yoir a lazy hiipy tiired of messing with youir hair so why mess with it more to make it look like u donrt do anything at all

just change how u wash

thats it

no rubbing no bands no wax no nothing

dreads will jusat happen

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
The Apprentice Shaman
@the-apprentice-shaman
13 years ago
30 posts

Thanks for the advice guys.

The bands are out and the comb has been put away :)

Would you recommend I (attempt to) pull apart the ones that have been back combed, or just leave them in and see what they do from here?

I'm going to try the bicarbonate of soda/acv wash when I get chance to grab ingredients next week. Water should be fine until then though, right?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

u can leave the backcombed and yea not idea but its fine

--
The Apprentice Shaman
@the-apprentice-shaman
13 years ago
30 posts

Okay, got another question for you guys. I'm lacking baking soda (for washing) at present and won't be able to get any until Tuesday. Would baking powderbe okay to use in the mean time, or should I stick to plain old water?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

nah not the same and waters not the best option either

u really have no other optiobs?

i think egvery kitchen in the world has baking soda in it unless u never cook at all

or only eat crap outta a microwave

a diluted dawn dish soaop isnt too bad an idea till u get somerthing better its not great but will work somewhat

a likl box of bs is like..real cheap

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

well ..its just a few days actualy so yea i gues waters ok to get u throughu till tuesday

should be easy to get the bs today tho

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form