Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreadlock Method

Lora E
@lora-e
13 years ago
10 posts

Hi there, I recently started making new dreads, it's been a couple weeks and I have 15 along the top rows. I had a full head of dreads about 4 years back using the neglect/rubbing my head with a rough wool hat method :P and thought that I would try backcombing this time. I was anxious to get started, and the only tool I had to use to start backcombing was a cat brush, I figured that it would work nice (and it has) since there are rows upon rows of bristles, the bristles are metal, tiny and very close together. I was just wondering if anyone else has used a cat brush rather than a flea comb? Was it a bad idea? It seems fine, but I'm a bit concerned that if I decided to brush the dreads out in a few years that I would see that the brush was actually breaking all of the hairs ( I backcombed a couple of dreads a second time and some of the hair that was part of the dread is loose and only half the length that it was before :s ) I want to finish doing the rest of my head but wanted to see if anyone else has used this and had it turn out badly, or if I'm just being paranoid and it's actually fine. Cheers, Lora.

updated by @lora-e: 01/13/15 09:09:16PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

id use twist n rip any combing againdt the grain permenantly harms the hair

backcomb is a poor methofd because of that

um but if u had natural dreads in the past why would u go any other way but natural?

but if u are set on majking instead of growing them then use twist n rip so u dont tear iup the hair

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lora E
@lora-e
13 years ago
10 posts

Hey thanks,

I keep trying twist and rip and it isn't creating any knots, I will watch the vids you have up and try again. The most recent dreads I have been doing I have been backcombing with the brush gently just the create a knot then doing the rip part which has actually been really effective and seems do be doing less damage then the first bunch (and holding together better too). I thought of doing it natural again but...I guess honestly, I'm too impatient and don't really want to start my first year of university with completely out ofwhackhair :P I also want it to be a little bit more organized this time, moremanageable...I don't know...I looked at a pic just now of my chaotic dreads when I did it naturally and it actually looked pretty cool, you could say each dread had it's own personality haha... I will consider it... Oh and thanks for the posts about not using dread wax, your a dread saver! :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

id go natural nbut tnr it does take lil extra to get thr 1at few knorts started then when u got a base of knots it speeds yup and getsd easier

but it does takre quite a few tnr's just to get the 1st knots to stay

--
Lora E
@lora-e
13 years ago
10 posts

Thanks, using twist and rip now, wish I had in the beginning but oh well...it is takinglong time, but 2 done, yay! Thanks for the advice.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

post pics when your done

--
Lora E
@lora-e
13 years ago
10 posts

will do :D