dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Natural Dreadlock Questions

Hannah Wright
@hannah-wright
13 years ago
22 posts

Hello All,

I recently combed out my "twist and rip" method dreads after having them for only a short 2 weeks; i decided to go with the all natural method. I haven't combed or conditioned my hair in about 2.5 weeks. It's clearly starting to knot up, but i still have a few questions. I have naturally straight hair, there's a few waves, but for the most part, just straight. And it seems like everytime i take a shower, i notice that hair has either come loose from certain sections i noticed the day before, or it's caught in another section. I'm just curious as to how long it will probably take for them to settle in a final location?Also, I'd like to know the proper maintenance for natural dreads. I already know obviously, no combing, running fingers through hair, conditioning etc. but is there any way to help them dread quicker? I've been trying sea salt water after every other time i wash my hair, but it doesnt seem to be doing anything. Also how would i go about maintaining loose hair once they do start to dread up? I have a crochet hook but from what i've read so far, it damages and breaks your hair, and i don't want any of that. So any help and advice would be greatly appreciate. Thank so much, bye!

updated by @hannah-wright: 01/13/15 09:07:56PM
hippiegal
@hippiegal
13 years ago
182 posts

Hi, Hannah. Congratulations on making it through 2 and a half weeks. If you can see knots already, that's good progress. I think the loose hair will find its own place in time. I have a lot of loose hair too, and just let it do its thing. We're so used to self-managing our hair (combing, cutting, conditioning etc) that it can be hard to change gear and let nature and time manage it for us. I use sea salt spray only a little because it leaves my hair feeling brittle and dry, but that's just me. Crotchet, never. I trust SE's advice on this. Keep at it, have patience, enjoy the ride!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

manage loose hair?

your letting loose hair become dreads

you manage loose hair by..letting it become dreads

nothing to it at all

irs berter to do salt..before u wasgh a couple hours u dont wanna leave it on days

it will make a difference but u maybe made it too weak

and

how are u washing (technique) abnd with what

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Hannah Wright
@hannah-wright
13 years ago
22 posts

You're right, I am so used to making sure every little hair is in place at all times, i really need to stop looking in the mirror and just let nature and time do the work for me. Thanks for the luck, and i wish you loads of luck too!

hippiegal said:

Hi, Hannah. Congratulations on making it through 2 and a half weeks. If you can see knots already, that's good progress. I think the loose hair will find its own place in time. I have a lot of loose hair too, and just let it do its thing. We're so used to self-managing our hair (combing, cutting, conditioning etc) that it can be hard to change gear and let nature and time manage it for us. I use sea salt spray only a little because it leaves my hair feeling brittle and dry, but that's just me. Crotchet, never. I trust SE's advice on this. Keep at it, have patience, enjoy the ride!

Hannah Wright
@hannah-wright
13 years ago
22 posts

Thanks for the advice, i didn't know i wasn't supposed to leave the salt spray on. And as for washing, although i'm not sure if i should or not, i used just a little bit of head and shoulders dandruff shampoo. I know it obviously won't help me as far as dreads, but my dandruff is really bad so i must use it, especially since the dreading process is itchy and i scratch my scalp sometimes (which causes more dandruff).
soaring eagle said:

manage loose hair?

nothing to it at all

irs berter to do salt..before u wasgh a couple hours u dont wanna leave it on days

and

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

no throw that away wash with this 1/3 cup baking soda 10 drops teatree 30 drops rosemary 30 peopermint (essential oils) in a gallon water pour on let soak 10 minutes (no scrubbing do not touch the hair at akl) add up to 1/3 cup se salyt if u want too

after 10 min rinxse

then

spoonfull of apple cider vinager in a galon pour on then rinse

no more dandruff no more itch no harmful shmpoo

but

leaving the sea salt on was massivly incrasing the dandruff

frying the scalp

Hannah Wright said:

Thanks for the advice, i didn't know i wasn't supposed to leave the salt spray on. And as for washing, although i'm not sure if i should or not, i used just a little bit of head and shoulders dandruff shampoo. I know it obviously won't help me as far as dreads, but my dandruff is really bad so i must use it, especially since the dreading process is itchy and i scratch my scalp sometimes (which causes more dandruff).
soaring eagle said:

manage loose hair?

nothing to it at all

and

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
13 years ago
164 posts

Thanks for posting this Hannah cuz I thought it was just me, lol. I seem to get a little dandruff and itchiness during the process, and I'm not sure how to cure it. I play with my scalp a lot and I should probably stop, huh? The bulb comes out with the hair and sorry if that sounds gross but it's weird and bothers me.

Mr. Soaring Eagle I will have to go buy some rosemary and lavender EOs.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form