Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Just starting new natural dreads!!! I need tips/advise!!!

Tiauna
@tiauna
13 years ago
6 posts

So, This is the first time I have ever attempted to let my hair naturally dread. I am a caucasion female with about 15 inch hair from root to tip. I don't have any wool to sleep on and I don't have any hats to wear. Is this going to be a problem? Last night was the first night I decided to stop brushing my hair. I took a shower and only shampoo'd it (didnt condition) I got out the shower and let it air dry without brushing it. Fell asleep, woke up and my hair is already knotting up pretty nicely I would say. Some of the bottom layers of my hair on the back and sides are still soft and untangled, but I realize that will take time. The rest of my hair is knotty and pretty well separated into small dreads already. How do I go about making sure they stay separated? Rip them apart? and do I palm roll them every few days or something to make sure they stay separated? Any tips/ advise would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

updated by @tiauna: 01/13/15 09:07:53PM
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

here are some things that i learn over the last 10 months of neglect that helped me and might help you, too:)

*don't separate too often. i was doing it all the time which unfortunately set me way back in the beginning. congos won't happen over night (or at least ones you can't rip apart easily).

*tams or wool anything doesn't work for everyone. i wore a wool tam to bed for the first 5 - 6 months and it didn't do a damn thing in the end. when i stopped wearing it to bed i started having more knots. go figure.

*beads help get knots going. i have really soft hair so it took a long time to get my hair to the texture that wasnecessaryfor knotting. i bought some really small wood beads and added them to the ends of my sections. doing this helps sections stay together and also helps them to knot. once i see knots or loops forming on that section i take the bead out and let it progress from there.

*keep your hands out of your hair. no touching. zero zilch (except when you need to separate).

hth:)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ok mostr was coverd well already just wonderig what shampoo u do use

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Valentin the Jellyfish
@valentin-the-jellyfish
13 years ago
79 posts
what from a lot of people say after they have mature dreads, DO NOT FREAK OUT IF IT DOESNT LOOK LIKE THEY ARE FORMING CUZ THEY ARE HAHA
Tiauna
@tiauna
13 years ago
6 posts

see for now, im using just herbal essensesonly becausei havent had the chance to go get new shampoo... i havent been conditioning only using a small bit of the shampoo and then rinsing. It seems to be knotting alright. the texture of my hair has definately changed and its gettin ratty lol. does it really make that much of a difference on what shampoo i use? Is it better to just rinse my hair with water until I can GET a better shampoo?

soaring eagle said:

ok mostr was coverd well already just wonderig what shampoo u do use

Tiauna
@tiauna
13 years ago
6 posts

thanks you guys! you were all very helpful!! If you can think of anything else, let me know! :)

Tiauna
@tiauna
13 years ago
6 posts
oh and i was also wondering... is doing dreads naturally a good way to have them so if i ever decide to take them out i wont have to cut them? like, are there ways to get dreads out of my hair besides butchering my hair? Not sayin im going to have dreads for a few months then get rid of them(i know im going to get attatched)... i just mean years down the road if i want to change it up.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

its certainly bertter then crochet =or interlocking thouygfg natural dreads tend to last the longest so u probly will keep em many many years or a lifetime

i wouldnt use herbal essence (it might knot up but certainly isnt the best)

till u get a dread shampoo try the baking soda recipie (then u may swear off shampoo for life)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tiauna
@tiauna
13 years ago
6 posts
Thank you so much! I appreciate it :)

soaring eagle said:

its certainly bertter then crochet =or interlocking thouygfg natural dreads tend to last the longest so u probly will keep em many many years or a lifetime

i wouldnt use herbal essence (it might knot up but certainly isnt the best)

till u get a dread shampoo try the baking soda recipie (then u may swear off shampoo for life)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form