Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Questions and Tip Requests

Curtis Tyler Cohen
@curtis-tyler-cohen
13 years ago
8 posts
So I have had my dreads for a little over two months. I still have dreads that fall almost completely apart. Wondering when they will stop falling apart, whether it's after a certain length or what.I'm going to describe some things that usually happen.First is that quite a few of them split in half in the middle, not on the ends or at the base, just in the middle, they will be fine and then all of the sudden the pop apart.Second is that I have "Blow outs". Not sure how else to describe it, but the dread toward the root will have groups of hair that compose the dreads not grow forward so it started to push out toward the root of the dread until it comes out completely and forms a mini-dread growing out of the base of the larger dread. Still not sure how to fix this, I dread-balled some of these and tucked them into the dread. Some are too big and I tried palm rolling them, this helped. Re-backcombing these and palm-rolling has been the best method to fix this.Third is the dreads that I have that have come undone and pretty much become small ponytails. When I try to re-backcombed them they are difficult for some reason, they just don't want to knot again, after much work and treatment I can get them back up to where they were.Interestingly enough the dreads that are the best are my sideburn dreads, I put beads on both of these after one week, and apparently these snug fitting beads have kept these dreads to be my healthiest little pride 'n' joys. I have had next to no problems with these. I'll try to get pictures on here.I was wondering what some good home made wax alternatives, concoctions, and what their best measurements (1 part baking soda to 2 parts etc.). Measurements because I think I used too much baking soda the other day.Also I respect the natural neglect dreads, and I like the idea but I really would like some solid main dreads and not some multi-branched dreads. I'm pretty sure I have twenty two right now and I'd like to keep it that way.And I would like some tips about what to use and not to use with hair types, my hair is dark, thin, naturally oily, and fine haired. My dreads are from 4-6 inches long. I don't think neglect would work with my hair (and I don't really like the results I've seen with it), I used to have my hair really long and even past shoulder length I never combed or brushed my hair in my entire life and have never had a knot. I'm pretty sure it is due to the oils in my hair, craaaaazy oily, it annoys me at times how oily I am. I originally backcombed my hair and held them together with bands, and for some troubled ones I made some hemp sleeves for them.
updated by @curtis-tyler-cohen: 02/14/15 04:54:31PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ok u got a few issues going on here

rebackcombing? dread balling? palm rolling?

why oh wghy?

rubber bands? wax alternatives?

ok if wax is a bullet in the brain would a knife in the chest be a better alternative?

u want nothing at all no alternatives

the "blowouts" are the 1st signs of dreading ..fix them? really? leave them alone

your pannickimg cause theyre dreading and u have to :fix it" which is preventing it

ok im going to give u full instructions here that will make natural drading work in your haor

step 1 wash with baking soda only 1-2 tablespoons per cup no acv add theyme tea or thyme oil to this

wait 1 day after u get oily to wash

try to slowly extend this to 1-2 times a week withoit abny oiliness till the dat b4 u wash

ad sea salt to the bs mix (bout same anmmount as bs)

use a hot wassh to remove oils let the micxture soak in your hair 10 min or longer

then ruinse..and finnish off with a freeeeezing cold rinse ..hot water removes oils iopens pores and cuticles (the cuticles that still function all the backcimbing u did mangles the cuticles so tyhey no longer function they should open to alow moisture in then close to seal it in) the cold water shpuld close cuticles and pores moisturized hair wont teigger oil production itf its sealed in but your cuticles are permenantly ripped open but cold also seals the pores so less oils pumped out

in bout 2 weeks u should be leess oily

now u need 6 inches to dread naturaly.. 5 tio backcomb or tnr (tnr would be a way better option)

now that u backcomb or tnr 1 time onlty u never ever ever repeat it even if they fall apart completely

u do not backcvomb roots u do not put on elastics u do not fix loops u dont palm roll or dread ball or anything..u keep your hands off

then they dread

stop trying to force it and let it happen

your preventig it by messing with them too much

adding beads is the 1 thing u did do right

but u need more length to dread right so stop messing with them let it grow and dread as it grows

the only thing u neeed to do is adjust the oiliness of your scalp by washing lesss often and do the hot cold thing bs to make it more alkaline and thyme to help it produce less oils over time

you should not even own a comb or a mirror

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Curtis Tyler Cohen
@curtis-tyler-cohen
13 years ago
8 posts

Alternatives like, aloe instead of wax. That's what I was talking about. And no, I specifically said in this that I don't want to let them split. I tried leaving them alone after they split, they just keep growing in two different directions. And Yes I do have to re-backcombed because again I have tried leaving them alone, one of them got bad enough to where it was just normal hair, completely undid itself. I use the baking soda mixture and I use aloe and thyme tea. The only thing I've done that's not natural is backcomb and use residue free shampoo. My hair is not mangled, it's just as oily as it was before, that's what I said originally, that my hair is naturally oily. It works knots out by itself, which is why I'm having trouble. When I left them alone for more than a week they became unknotted.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

let themn the "manglesd" is on a microscopic level all hairs arecovered by scale like cuticles that open allowing moisture in then close to make the hair smooth again backcombing sg=reads the cuticles so they cannot close anynmore and this let the hair be far more easily dammaged by chemicals heat and other damages

u never ever rebackcomb even iff they fall completely apart u leave them aalone they will indeed dread

most backcombed dreads fall apart but they still dread

u got to stop everythung your doing

look in the saved dreads section theres a discussion calked more progreewss in 1 week then the entire previos year

that girl rebackcombed constantly..for a whole year and thwey never dreaded

she stopped for 1 week and finaly it started to dread

u must stop what your doing

let them fall apart then they will dread

if any are apart now tnr them..one time..then leave em alone

backcomb sucks anyway tnr will work better

and toss a bead e]in them then do not touch them at all in any way except to wash and seperate that is all

--
Curtis Tyler Cohen
@curtis-tyler-cohen
13 years ago
8 posts

Also I read that you want the cuticles flared a bit. Regardless of hot or cold water the ph of the baking soda, lemon juice and just about everything recommended on here throws the ph of the hair toward the acidic side, which flairs the cuticles.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

not true whered u read that acv is acidic whic closes the cuticles bs is alkaline wich opens them

hot open cold closed wet open dry closed ..if the cuticles wiork but after u backcimb they cannot iopen or close they sare damaged pried permenantly open and not just open but riped open way farther then they open normaly

btw acidic hair ..too acidic tendzas to be oily thats why u wabnt no acv no lemon nothing acidic the bs will make it alkaline and slowly less oily but u do want to do hot wash cold rinse

unfortunatly the mangled cuticles muight just make it harder to become leesss oily because they cant close normalt

im not certain but i believe it might tho i think u still can get it less oily slowly

if u use lemon in the sea salt..stop

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

yup u use lemon thats why your still so oily

normal hairs 5.0-5.5 oily hairs closer to 4.0-4.5 nutral 7.0

bs i thinks about 8.3 -8.9 somewhere in there

sea salt im not sure about

but u want to get the hair towards alkaline rtill its dry oce it startes to be too dry you start the acv to swing it back towards a healthy 5

--
Curtis Tyler Cohen
@curtis-tyler-cohen
13 years ago
8 posts

Ok, thanks. So on alternatives I was asking natural, healthy alternatives like you recommend like different oils and such and what each does. Also can you explain how the process works? I don't understand how not doing anything other than washing with bs can dread up the loose hairs. So if you can just list out different oils and such and other ingerdients and what they help with, and also how often should I wash with BS, and should I scrub it through rinse it out or just leave it or what? How often should I use the salt water and such? And with natural dreads can I keep them in solid dreads without them branching off? Oh, and what is acv?

Curtis Tyler Cohen
@curtis-tyler-cohen
13 years ago
8 posts

Curtis Tyler Cohen said:

Ok, thanks. So on alternatives I was asking natural, healthy alternatives like you recommend like different oils and such and what each does. Also can you explain how the process works? I don't understand how not doing anything other than washing with bs can dread up the loose hairs. So if you can just list out different oils and such and other ingerdients and what they help with, and also how often should I wash with BS, and should I scrub it through rinse it out or just leave it or what? How often should I use the salt water and such? And with natural dreads can I keep them in solid dreads without them branching off? Oh, and what is acv? and How do you correctly tnr, know any videos?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

acv apple cider vinager u dont wasnt it till your hairs dry u dont want aloe as its conditioning dreads dont "branch off" they congo to prevent vcongoes seperate them thats all any dreads will confgo if iu let them they combine at the rooyts

bs wash 1-2 tablespoons bs per cup samed sea salt

pour on no touching leave em soak 110 min or longer rinse no scrubbing at all

oils a couple drops per cup

thyme reduces oil prodyuction

teatree treats dandruff (bacterial causes) and prevents lice

rosemary treats dandruff

pepermint calms itches (might help danfdryuff sunno)

lavander prevents mold

for u start with thyme add the rest as needed

how they dread hair tangles tangles pile up becomming dreads its not mystical its just what happens naturally

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form