Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I got my first rude comment

HealingAmungTheTrees
@healingamungthetrees
15 years ago
93 posts
I was at my kids' homeschool group this week talking with my friend. Another mom came over and joined in talking. The conversation was on hair. They started talking about hair and how styling is a pain. I said that I no longer had styling issues. The other mom asked why. My friend said "because she is dreading her hair". The mother mom says"OH GROSS, DON'T DO THAT. WHEN I SEE PEOPLE LIKE THAT I GO TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STREET OR GET FAR AWAY BECAUSE I JUST KNOW THEIR HAIR BUGS ARE GOING TO GET ON ME"I got really defensive and asked her why she thought that. She said because people with dreads don't wash their hair. Ahhhhhhh! I told her that was a myth and anyone who cared about their dreads washed them. She made some other comment and I kind of snapped back that my hair was probably cleaner than most peoples.Now I am debating if I should apologize to her for snapping at her. At least if I apologize to her and explain why I snapped at her it will open the door for me to educate her a little more and let her know that my hair is important to me.Either way it was not fun.
updated by @healingamungthetrees: 02/14/15 07:56:32AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
id apologize and take the high road shes out of line you should come off as the reasonable 1 willing to reach out talk it over reasonably without judgment and explain the truth to her with kindnessthen tell her the people most likely to get bugs are not dreadheads...but ..moms of schiool aged kids..all moms cause the leading cause of bugs is kids in schoolsthen ask her howed she like it if everytime you saw her walking down the street with her kids you crossed the street to avoid her bugs..(ok thats not being kind maybe you can find a way to say that without seeming like ya are calliing her a bug infested narrow minded bitch

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
15 years ago
458 posts
She was deliberately being insulting, why would you feel the need to apologise? The least she could of done was keep her mouth shut. I'd say it's best to stay away from rude ignorant people because that type has the habbit of getting others caught up in their drama games.
Jayah O
@jayah-o
15 years ago
38 posts
I would have just laughed hysterically and asked her if she bumped her head that morning. Then I would have laced into her asking how ofter she washed her hair and did her kids get bugs?..I mean come on..I'm sorry I have no time for ignorance like that. I would surely not apologise and I would still tell her what I thought..but that's just my way..LOL I would have said as a parting comment though, that dirty, oily hair doesn't dread..and to have a ______ day....is that mean?... =P
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
^sounds good to me :)
Lonnie Berg
@lonnie-berg
15 years ago
219 posts
Personally, I feel one should always extend the hand of friendship, then you'll know you done what was right, whether she accepts or not is her problem, but plant the seed and it may grow.One Love Iain said:
^
sounds good to me :)
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
great adviceYour instinct to use your apology to open communication and educate this person is wondrful. Maybe it will be effective, maybe it wont. As long as you dont expect her to understand you will not be dissapointed and you can know you did the right thing by listening to your intuition. Lonnie Berg said:
Personally, I feel one should always extend the hand of friendship, then you'll know you done what was right, whether she accepts or not is her problem, but plant the seed and it may grow.
One Love

Iain said:
^
sounds good to me :)
Kellye
@kellye
15 years ago
91 posts
yea i've been hinking of apolgizing to my grandpa. the other day at dinner he called my hair a witches hair and said how i'd never get a job and ssaid he'll cut them ou himself and i got really offended a that and we got into a yelling match...so i left without finishing dinner. and i havent been back over their since...it was just so rude and at dinner to.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
ya shoulda said thanks grandpa witches are sexy and i dont want a job i want a lifebut if ya want to try cutting them you better be prepared to wrestle cause it will take at least 5 of you to hold me down if u have any hope to get near em with scissors

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kellye
@kellye
15 years ago
91 posts
:) ha i should of tha would of been funny. no i told him something how i'll cut them out when i he stops being old and someother dumb shit i was just really angry couldnt even think striaght.... soaringeagle said:
ya shoulda said thanks grandpa witches are sexy and i dont want a job i want a life
but if ya want to try cutting them you better be prepared to wrestle cause it will take at least 5 of you to hold me down if u have any hope to get near em with scissors
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form