Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dying my dreadlocks a natural blonde?

Tessa Smith
@tessa-smith
13 years ago
59 posts

Not sure if this topic suits this category but I guess I'll give it a try!

My dreadlocks are a really dark brown and I think they are a nice color but I think people with natural blonde hair with dreadlocks look gorgeous! I was wondering if it was possible to get a natural blonde color to my dreads, not a bleach blonde, but more of like a dirty blonde I guess is what I'm looking for. Would going from such a dark color to such a light color totally burn off my dreadlocks? I suppose this is more of a hair dye question rather than a dreadlocks question, but I figured I'd trust your guy's answers more than people on the internet who have never had dreads before.

Thanks! :o)

updated by @tessa-smith: 01/13/15 09:02:09PM
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
13 years ago
393 posts

Sacha said it.

Just being outside during the day will make your dreadlocks lighter.

Tessa Smith
@tessa-smith
13 years ago
59 posts
okay thank you! :) i found this stuff called sun in and its a hair lightener that is lightened by heat or by the sun, I know I've tried it in the past and it works very well, but it does have some chemicals in it. So maybe I'll give the lemon juice a try first and see how that goes. Thank you. :)
Tessa Smith
@tessa-smith
13 years ago
59 posts
I can see where it wouldn't be good but I'm sure it's better then peroxide which is used in most hair dyes. I also noticed you had a very nice blonde color, I was wondering if you used anything in your hair or is that your natural color?
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
eek! do NOT use sun in!! It's garbage!!!!!!!! sun in will give you a very UN-Natural orange color. lemon juice is not a good choice either, not only is it extremely drying/damaging to the hair but it will do NOTHING to help dark hair become lighter! Talk to panterra i think you're only option is a typical dye job. Many Blessings

Tessa Smith said:
okay thank you! :) i found this stuff called sun in and its a hair lightener that is lightened by heat or by the sun, I know I've tried it in the past and it works very well, but it does have some chemicals in it. So maybe I'll give the lemon juice a try first and see how that goes. Thank you. :)
Tessa Smith
@tessa-smith
13 years ago
59 posts
Oh okay, thats the same boat I'm in lol, now I have these super light, almost blonde tips and all of this dark brown roots coming in. I guess I will talk to panterra about it and see what she thinks. Thank you guys. :)
Electric Mama
@electric-mama
13 years ago
80 posts
Hey there! I had my hair bleached by my friend that is a stylist and she has dyed dreads before. If you want to get the natural blonde look, she would suggest going to a beauty supply store and getting bleach and the blonde color you want. ( ask the sales lady about the stuff you need to mix it with, they are there to help! ) Go a shade lighter then you want it to turn out because if you bleach it 1st your hair will be porous and it will be darker then the color on the box. As far as bleaching or dying with dreads, don't be afraid! I had 16 dreads dyed before and I went to a beauty school to get that done. The teachers were very helpful in recommending the right mix for the thickness or thinness of the dreads. I love my blonde dreads!
Tessa Smith
@tessa-smith
13 years ago
59 posts

Hi! Well I ended up just getting a blonde box of hair dye that used hydrogen peroxide, rather than bleach. Don't do it lol. Panterra even told me to use bleach because of my tips being dyed already, hydrogen peroxide wouldn't work on it, only beach would. So only my roots were lightened and they turned this yellowish color and it looked really ugly but luckily now my roots have faded to like a golden brown kind of color which actually match my tips so I'm all one color again :D But I would definitely suggest bleaching your hair. What I'm actually thinking about trying next is bleaching my hair, then buying a box of dark blonde hair dye and going over the bleach blonde with that in hopes that it'll give me more of a natural blonde.

Also I have a picture on my page of what my hair looked like after I used the hydrogen peroxide if you want to see my results. It's the one with the sunglasses.

Let me know what you end up doing and if it works or not. Hope this helps ya. :)

Claire the bear said:

Hi Tessa, just wondering if you decided on what to do for that dirty blonde look. I want the same and am looking for advice! How'd it go and which way did you decide? THANKS

Tessa Smith said:

Oh okay, thats the same boat I'm in lol, now I have these super light, almost blonde tips and all of this dark brown roots coming in. I guess I will talk to panterra about it and see what she thinks. Thank you guys. :)
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form