Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

twist and rip vs backcomb

annalise
@annalise
13 years ago
11 posts

my friend wants me to dread his hair and im pretty sure im going to twist and rip it, but do twist and rip dreads come really loose like backcomb dreads do? a couple of my backcombed dreads came completely undone so i redid them twist and rip style, but ive only had them a few days so i dont know how much they loosen up yet. i really like the way they look when theyre first done tho, i think they look less like matted pieces of hair.

updated by @annalise: 01/13/15 09:01:53PM
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
yes twist & rip has the potential to come undone just like backcombing does. It depends upon the hair, some peoples never come undone and some come undone completely. If they do loosen they should be left alone to dread. repeating starter methods is damaging and counter productive. I'm not sure what you mean about the "matted pieces of hair" that's what dreads are...
annalise
@annalise
13 years ago
11 posts
..i know that dreads are matted pieces of hair in a way but in my opiniontwist and rip dreadsstart off looking more mature. i just like the way twist and rip dreads look better than backcombed ones do at first, i think they look less poofy. i just didn't know if they had a tendency to come loose more than backcombed ones do. i dont want my friend to get discouraged and resort to wax or just give up and take them out
annalise
@annalise
13 years ago
11 posts
k thanks :) i think he really wants dreads but he just doesnt know that much about them so its up to me to educate him lol. im pretty positive im going twist and rip because it is less damaging. i love my dreads and i wouldnt take them out and redo them but some of them were already completey undone so i thought id do an experiment and put some tnr in to see how they do
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

either can fall out but tnr seems to hold together better backcomb tends to fall apart more

tnr definatel looks better and is less damaging

definately the better option

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
annalise
@annalise
13 years ago
11 posts
yea thats what i was thinking, thanks :)
Choppah
@choppah
13 years ago
20 posts
tnr holds better looks better, dmges less and takes half the time to make ;p atleast in my case..
Tim4
@tim4
13 years ago
1 posts

I started mine with backcombing that I got a friend to do, the only ones that didn't fall out were the first couple she did for me. I find that the process is so tedious for the person doing the dreads for you that they start to put less effort in as time goes on (they get over it and just want it finished) and so the majority of them fall out.

I've been playing around with various methods ever since. I tried to just wait for the dreads to occur naturally after that, but saw little progress over the month and a half that I waited, so I started playing around with twist and rip and found it held better than backcombing.

I've actually done the majority of them by myself whilst sitting on the couch watching tv. I'll do one like every few nights. The sectioning is a bit harder by yourself, so maybe the best way would be to section off the hair by starting with twist and rip and do maybe about an inch and then leave him to do the rest of the length of each dread himself?

I still have a fair bit of loose hair which I'm going to let go natural, but overall, there is a dreaded appearance based mostly on twist and rip and I'm much happier that I did them myself.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form