Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Rip and Tear method maintenance

Lexz Luv
@lexz-luv
13 years ago
74 posts

My girl Jessica Eva Just dreaded my entire head using the rip and tear method. Should i do anything to keep these dreads tight? Besides separating the ones that tangle together. Should i palm roll them at all or just let them be?? Any other advice for me? Thanks

XOXO Lexz

updated by @lexz-luv: 01/13/15 08:59:31PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

just wash and seperate nothin else needed

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lexz Luv
@lexz-luv
13 years ago
74 posts
Thxs! You guys rock!!! I love this forum!!
Beje
@beje
13 years ago
7 posts

@Lexz: there's also the most difficult part: DON'T PANIC!!! They will start getting fluffier, they will get looser and some of them will fall appart (especially if your hair is short). Just wait: T&R is not an "instant dreads" method but more a "let's prepare separation and some basic knots so dreads can start forming a little faster"

@Ivan, this video shows the proccess really clear:

though I would skip the rubber bands part because it might create a weak spot (it's not a bad idea to have a more clear idea on how to section the hair, or if several people are working on the same head but remove immediatly after you're finished)

Palm rolling is also a not-so-good idea inherithed from wax users that need to stick everything together with the gunk because waxed hair barely dreads by itself. At best it won't do nothing in natural dreads, and at worst it might put pressure and stress in your scalp, maybe breaking some hairs.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

Ivan, it's almost like a dirty looking braid. You take a section of hair that you want to lock up, and tangle it, take one part in each hand and pull it apart till it's tight around your scalp. Tangle it again and repeat. You just repeat until it's tight town to the tip. I like to think of it as a dirty braid, cause you treat it like you're making a braid but just really messy and tighter that normal. They'll come out as you shower and time goes on. You could keep it up as you need, but it's not necessary. They'll tighten up as time goes

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form