dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

starting dreads advice?

caitlin
@caitlin
13 years ago
26 posts

Hello lovelies!

so i have finally caved and decided to grow my dreads back in. I havent brushed my hair in about 4 months. i do have a few self given little guys in which (don't hate me) but i crochet a few and twist ripped the other few. the rest of them (notice my gleaming face) are starting all on their own!! what?!?! heck yes im stoked. anyway. i have a few questions. considering the last time i did them i did them...the absolute (in my opinion) no no way..a little bit of wax and a ton of back combing. i HAVE to wash my hair ever day. if i don't..well no..there is no question i have to or i feel gross and it will wight my mind down all day. all i use is dr bronners magic liquid soap.. it is working wonderfully. im just asking anyone who reads this for any extra advice. maybe to quicken the process a little bit or something that i should be doing.

my other question is!!! now id like to dye my hair. ive deicded im not going todye it all just yet but just the front (in which is already blonde) and i would really like to dye the dreads i already have. im pondering if i should really do this or not because im really nervous of it loosening my hair up. yes dye is damaging and considering id have to bleach some parts of my hair beforehand...its going to make it a little gummy feeling. now i am a hair stylist...and do work hand in hand with a salon and i don't trust themm enough to do it..nor do i trust myself. any advice would be very much appreciated. if i have to wait then of course i will wait but.. im in need for a change!!

thank you much!!!

=D

updated by @caitlin: 01/13/15 08:56:50PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

if u can wait do try to use naturakl dyes theres a dying guide with natural dyes and stuff

id be careful with chemical dyes

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts
i just dyed mine, after bleaching it and i LOVE it my dreads are so much more define, not sure if its just my imagination cause i love it so much or what but they def feel more tight after the bleaching but then the dye i used was kinda conditioning so they don't feel all scratchy and brillowy but more tight! Other than that a wool tam, and enjoy!!!
caitlin
@caitlin
13 years ago
26 posts
well i mean.. the the thing is. is i don't yet have dreads. im in the process of starting them. again i gave myself a few little ones in which im going to bleach and dye possibly. BUT the front of my hair is not dreaded.. which is where i want to dye. the thing im worried about is because it isn't dreaded and i havent brushed it or anything. im afraid my hair is going to loosen up. which is why i was asking for advice. lol. ive had dreads in the past and bleached, dyed them and i never had a problem so that im not worried about. i do hair, so i know that bleaching and dying sometimes softens the hair and loosens it. which is why im a bit worried. but i also know that my hair is already dry considering i havent used conditioner or brushed it almost 4 months sooo. it may even dry my hair out a bit more. lol see this is very confusing. i mean...i don't even trust MYSELF to do my own hair and this is what i do with my life!!! lol. i think im probably going to just chance it and hope for the best. im just going to be extra extra careful and take my time. =]
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

or why not just leave it alone if your so worried add color with wraps or beads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sheresa
@sheresa
13 years ago
41 posts
Well if you really have your heart set on dying/bleaching your hair just do it. It's your hair right?? I bleached the SH*T out of mine right before I back combed just to get it closer to my natural color (it was a dark brown almost black and my hair is naturally dirty blonde) and it helped my usually super straight soft hair dread a little on its own. The only problem would be the horrible damage it did too. I would think though if you dyed your hair you probably wouldn't want to use the conditioner afterwards because THAT would losen em. If you bleach or dye it it will dry it out ALOT and will either help your hair dread or make it look terrible with dead and split ends. Your odds are 50/50. Good luck!
caitlin
@caitlin
13 years ago
26 posts
yeah so i did it. it did loosen it a bit but not tooooo to much. i like it and im very happy with the results. =]
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form