Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dyeing baby dreads?

asalaam
@asalaam
13 years ago
14 posts

My hair is pretty dark, not jet-black, but dark enough for my dreads to look almost like regular hair when it's tied back. I want to lighten my hair a shade or 3. My tnr dreads are fairly new, 3 and a half months old. They hold together fine when I wash them, but I do notice they get signifigantly softer afterwards, which is scary but I guess a part of life when you have smooth straight asian hair. I have a bleached section in my head from before i started dreading.

Has anyone had any experience dyeing dreads at this stage? ALSO I live in the fog, and there's rarely sun. When there is sun, I rarely can go play in it because that's my life. So I don't foresee using lemon juice or anything like that working fantastically well for my lifestyle. So, does anyone have a suggestion for lightening it (if it's safe to do so now without destroying any progresson the contrary, i've also had someone tell me that after they bleached & died their dreads, they locked up faster, but they had aftrican american hair, so i dont know if that would work the same on my straight smooth hair.)? MY plan would basically be to bleach and then dye. I guess.

.....feedback please! and photos/links thereof, if at all possible.

updated by @asalaam: 01/13/15 08:56:24PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

wouldnt do a thing they look great just as they are

but lemon and peroxide react to heat from bloeww dryers just as well as to sun

i

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
asalaam
@asalaam
13 years ago
14 posts

thanks!I keep gettin attracted by all these pretty bright dreads :P

we'll see where they take me.

and I didn't know that, for some reason I thought it was the light and not the heat. Good to know.

Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts
you can bleach and dye, if that's your desire. Bleaching does sometimes have the effect of tightening because it's damaging your hair. I'm actually getting ready to bleach and dye mine a bright green for st. patty's and have been doing a lot of research. If you are aware that it's going to damage your hair and are willing for that, then by all means do it, there is a link (i have it saved but have not recovered it on my new pc yet) for the "dying dread bible" if you will. Essentually be as gentle as you can, mainly cover the outsides of the dreads, no need to scrunch it in them, bleaching might be a best idea to do a couple sessions of 20 min bleaching rather than the whole 40 mins (never exceed 40 mins there will be no more bleaching just damaging after said time) generally if you can handle washing them and they don't fall apart, i'd say you're good just be gentle and make sure you rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse!!! good luck in what you choose :)
asalaam
@asalaam
13 years ago
14 posts
ah thanks! I'd like to see these green dreads haha. Let me know if you ever find that bible- I guess till then i'll try google.
Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts
well the green wasn't able to be found around here in time for st patty's so I've decided to do purple >.< i bleached it yesterday and did one bottle of purple, waiting to do the second till this weekend to give my hair some rest from getting wet so much but some of my dreads actually tightened up more tho i think i lost some progress on the under layers cause i wasn't too gentle my hands got tired >.<
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
lemon juice tends to turn darker hair more of an orange color than anything else. Talk to knottysleeves she has the link for the dread dying bible. Good Luck!
Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts
yeah I thought it was her who had it but i didn't wanna say so and then be wrong >.<
Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts

here is the link knottysleeves put in another discussion

http://www.compunction.org/dyeing.txt

it's what i went by too!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form