Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

crochet dreads way too huge what should i do?

bailey lockhart.
@bailey-lockhart
13 years ago
6 posts

i have two huge dreads that i would like to split to make smaller ones. i started them a month ago and rounded my tips. any suggestions on how to split my dreads?

edit be se:

her dreads see her profile are huge and were crochetted (which makes them thinner then they should be) and are only a month old (so havent started thickening yet)

we need more ppl's opinions on what she shpuld do she has only 13 dreads

updated by @bailey-lockhart: 02/14/15 07:44:24AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
how did u start em and howed u round the tips u know rounding the tips is a bad idea and if theyre huge at a month they will be massive in 8 months your better off starting em over at a month but u can seperate from the root to tip but its better to comb out and then twist and rip into 4 dreads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ok 2 things

u started by braiding.. not a great way to start slower then neglect in fact

then you crochetted that breaks a ton of hairs

so also takes 6 months to recover from b4 they start to dread right

combing out crochetted dreads u will lose a ton of hair

also if theyre too thick when criocghetted they are gonna be massive when u recover from crochet since crochet maked them 1/3 the thickness of a heaklthy dread

lets see pictures

--
bailey lockhart.
@bailey-lockhart
13 years ago
6 posts

well i didn't compleatly know how to start them off when i decided to get them.

i watched a youtube video about how to twist then part your hair. so i decided that would be a easier way of getting them started then just "teasing" them.

when i started them off i honestly didn't know what i was doing. not many people in redmond have dreads. at the moment i have a total of 13 dreads. at least four of them are extremly massive.

so when i went to school this girl came up to me and asked if she could work on my dreads for me. she told me to get the smallest crochet hook i could find. i did so and she taught me how to tighten them and round the ends.she told me to work on them every night and i have been doing so.

i had no clue that it was that bad for your hair.what do you mean by they take six months to recover. should i not split my dreads now?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

13? they all must be massive if u crochetted i would honnestly start over and try for 40-50 id use twist and rip and nothing else u are in the best place to learn now so thats good youtubes full of bad advice

what work on them every night? omg that girl screwed u u will be lucfky if u have any hair left to dread after u start over

ok look around for how rto comb them out then condition them good give em a good 2 weeeks to recover

i would very very highly recomend u go natural/neglect and do nothing just let them dread your hairs already very massivlty damaged by all that crochet

if not then twist and rip into 40-60 dreads and not too hard

then never do nothing that u dont see recvomended ion this site ppl will aleways tell you to do harmful crap to "fix" your dreads

u do not want to work on them u want to leave thwm alone to dread

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
pictures plz

--
bailey lockhart.
@bailey-lockhart
13 years ago
6 posts
so you think i should take them out? i'd rather not to be honest i'v but alot of effort into them. and they alright for the most part. is there anyway i can save them with out taking them out? and i'll try as soon as possible.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

you put way way way way too much effort into them thats the problem u never should have

but ok ignore the dread sizes instead examine the root section sizes that is the size the dreads will be when u leave em alone to dread they will be huuuuuge..too big.. 13 well thats less then anyone i know who isnt at least 3/4 bald or just has a unidread

the fattest dreads on here are chevies at 18 or matteddews and i dunno id guess hes got 16 too

if you dont take em out since u crochetted daily u will have over a year to recover

the recovery will be like this

extreme frizz..loiose hairs pippping out all over

very gradual loosening and softening

thickenning to 3 times the size they are now

in a year or so yu will go into the stage u should be in at 1-3 months

looping

tightening (real dreading not weaving)

shrinking

the brillow feeling may never go away (i dunno)

the squeeky feeling when u squeeze em (broken hairs grinding on eachother pribly will be permenant)

unless u want really fat dreads your gonna want twice as many as u got or more

if u want em the size they are 3 times as many

if u want em thinner..4 times as many

i would start over

and u do not not not not want to put so much effort into em

thats another thing starting over will free u from all that effort

wouldnt it be nice to be able to do absolutely nothing and just let em dreasd?

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ctuaaly counting matted dews dreads hes got at least 12...on 1 side of his head his are huge and hes got at least twice as many

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ok shes got 12 or 13

but theyre congos started as twice as many then combined

actualy several look like 4 or 5 combined

--

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM