Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

upsetting news

amber.sweet
@ambersweet
13 years ago
12 posts
I was really looking forward to dreading my hair. I had a date set for my new transformation. I was filled with constant excitement while my head was spinning with the thought. Before I went ahead with it, I decided to be safe and ask my supervisors at work to see if it was acceptable. Unfortunately, it is not "professional". My heart was literally broken. I was set on this. There are several coworkers of mine that have their hair dyed with unnatural colors. Piercings are allowed, but of course with the retainer in place and tattoos are even allowed if a customer does not complain about their content. I'm sorry for this rant, but I can not help it. I hate being prevented in expressing myself.... I was even prevented to get my third eye pierced with a micro dermal. *sigh* but I need this job, so I must become their slave in order to survive.
updated by @ambersweet: 01/13/15 08:53:05PM
amber.sweet
@ambersweet
13 years ago
12 posts

it is a start. It may not be exactly what I wanted, but thank you for bringing that to my attention because I never thought of it. I could just "warm" them up to the idea of allowing dreadlocks in the facility..... which I know that other facilities allow them.... I work for a well known company that has devoured the world.
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts

I am sorry.

where do you work?

do you have a written copy of the dress code? What does it say about hair? anything specific?

If you start them out with neglect....they may not notice it happening.

Can you wear a tam or wrap your head in a scarf at work? You might be able to hide dreads for a while.

Or you can start looking for another job :)

If having dreads is important to you...I am sure you will find a way!

Good Luck!

amber.sweet
@ambersweet
13 years ago
12 posts
sadly, I work at walmart. I don't have a written copy of the dress code and the only way to access one is through the computers at the facility where I work. I'm going to do some research first and fight this. It's not fair in my opinion. I believe they are misjudging me and the idea behind dreads. It's "dirty". I will not be owned by a company. I will not be told what I can and can not do with my body because they feel money is more important. I've been needing a change in my life. I'm in the process of finding myself and when I looked up dreads something within me changed for the better. Maybe it is time to look for a new job.... one that is a little more accepting.
Jon2
@jon2
13 years ago
25 posts

I know for a fact that it's not the company. Maybe the manages, maybe the specific store, but not Walmart...well, if it is Walmart, then they have made exceptions. I live in Orlando and the super Walmart I go to has several people with dreads. If you talk to your superiors I would mention that there's dread-heads working at other Walmarts.

Good luck!

amber.sweet said:

sadly, I work at walmart. I don't have a written copy of the dress code and the only way to access one is through the computers at the facility where I work. I'm going to do some research first and fight this. It's not fair in my opinion. I believe they are misjudging me and the idea behind dreads. It's "dirty". I will not be owned by a company. I will not be told what I can and can not do with my body because they feel money is more important. I've been needing a change in my life. I'm in the process of finding myself and when I looked up dreads something within me changed for the better. Maybe it is time to look for a new job.... one that is a little more accepting.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

its not the job its the guy you asked others working at walmart have had no problems walmart customers themselves are a buncha freaks and unprofessional unconventional weirdos

if its not against company policy then its against personal discrimination and is not fair

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
13 years ago
184 posts

WHOAAA WHOAA.

I work at walmart and I have dreadlocks. Granted, I work in the back room unloading trucks, I sometimes stock shelves when the store is open and stuff. Definitely not against company policy. I'm not allowed to wear a hat on the floor, but I know a dude who wears a mohawk in the photo section too.

I know the piercings wouldn't be cool with them, but maybe you could just transfer to a third shift position or something. But yeah, none of the managers have said anything about my dreads. store #2261!

I'm almost positive it's just your store managers, and if you do just go natural and they start to notice, they can't really do anything. You can always just talk to someone higher up in the company if they give you a hard time about it anyway...

amber.sweet said:

amber.sweet
@ambersweet
13 years ago
12 posts

oh really? I believe it is the store manager. I've been debating all day if I should fight this. I think I might just have to.... or just go ahead and do it and if they say anything to me then, a fight it shall be.

Thank you all for the support. I'm going to try and go natural.... hopefully my hair will do it's thing... if not... it's off to tnr.
Brandon Arnold said:

WHOAAA WHOAA.

I work at walmart and I have dreadlocks. Granted, I work in the back room unloading trucks, I sometimes stock shelves when the store is open and stuff. Definitely not against company policy. I'm not allowed to wear a hat on the floor, but I know a dude who wears a mohawk in the photo section too.

I know the piercings wouldn't be cool with them, but maybe you could just transfer to a third shift position or something. But yeah, none of the managers have said anything about my dreads. store #2261!

I'm almost positive it's just your store managers, and if you do just go natural and they start to notice, they can't really do anything. You can always just talk to someone higher up in the company if they give you a hard time about it anyway...

amber.sweet said:

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form