Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Which religions can I lie about belonging to to find a job?

Gabe McCoy
@gabe-mccoy
14 years ago
120 posts
So. Basically. I need to find a job, which religions can I say don't allow me to cut or brush my hair that I belong to? I only know rasta right now, I'm looking for others, cause I'm not convincingly rasta at all
updated by @gabe-mccoy: 01/13/15 08:52:23PM
taye
@taye
14 years ago
833 posts
hmmm lie about a religion....do you see something wrong with that?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
any but it dont gotta be a religion at all only a personal spiritual belief
\
but ok christian jew muslim buddhist hindu pagan rasta druid wican u name it
but really all u need to say is that youre spirituality prevents u from combing or cutting our hair from there u can explain it any way u want u believe humans should live naturally u believe hair especialy loccked hair beings iuu strength wisdonm and records all tyour lifes experiences and makes u more connected to the earth to spirit to life itself

the thing about religion and spirituality is no matter how organized the religion u belong to in the end your personal beliefs are still individual
so dont lie just be honnest but express your beliefs as beliefs and not just i want to be cool lol

dig deep and figure out your own personal reasons for never wanting to cut your dreads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Gabe McCoy
@gabe-mccoy
14 years ago
120 posts
Yea definitely,

soaringeagle said:
any but it dont gotta be a religion at all only a personal spiritual belief
\
but ok christian jew muslim buddhist hindu pagan rasta druid wican u name it
but really all u need to say is that youre spirituality prevents u from combing or cutting our hair from there u can explain it any way u want u believe humans should live naturally u believe hair especialy loccked hair beings iuu strength wisdonm and records all tyour lifes experiences and makes u more connected to the earth to spirit to life itself

the thing about religion and spirituality is no matter how organized the religion u belong to in the end your personal beliefs are still individual
so dont lie just be honnest but express your beliefs as beliefs and not just i want to be cool lol

dig deep and figure out your own personal reasons for never wanting to cut your dreads
Gabe McCoy
@gabe-mccoy
14 years ago
120 posts
Haha yea fair enough, but it isn't completely a lie, I think spirituality does have a role in my dreads, I definitely have a desire to be organic and let the human body be as it's supposed to. But yea it is an issue for some people cause I've already been turned down twice cause of my dreads :( one of which was for work at a carnival, it was such a bummer cause he said I have the job and then said "wait, but, are you willing to cut off your hair?" and I'm like "no, but I can put it up in a hat" and he's like "nope all my employees need to be clean cut" it was a bummer

Knottysleeves said:
I know you're worried about your job situation, but seriously, being manipulative and dishonest to potential employers is not a good idea. If you get the job, then you have to keep up the lie about your "religion", by telling even more lies... that's very draining on the soul. And if your bosses ever find out, the lie can follow you around and hurt your chances of getting other jobs, via poor references. Some people take religion very very seriously.

Don't make your dreads an issue, or even mention it unless the interviewer does. If they ask about your hair, be honest and say you're developing dreadlocks. Saying "my religion/spirituality forbids me from combing my hair" just makes you sound crazy. :-)

If your dreads are an issue, ask why. Is it a job where you'll be dealing with the public and have to look professional? Then you can tie them back and smooth them down, or wear a headband/wrap. Reassure the interviewer that you can do whatever styling measures are necessary while you're on the job. This shows you're willing to compromise, which is a VERY good quality for an employee to have. :-)
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form