Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

'Ello beautiful people! New here and new to dreading as well, advice? :)

Sarah Belle
@sarah-belle
14 years ago
3 posts

I just started dreading today buuut before I keep going, I would love some advice!

First off, I'm not sure how togo about sectioning.I started my first one in a one inch section and just backcombed and palm rolled it and it looks *great* but after looking at pictures of sectioned dreads, I'm thinkin I don't like the way the roots look whenthey're allperfect like that. =/ So I'm wondering, whats a better looking way to do it so they end up looking more natural and random? Is there a certain shape I should section in or would it be best to grab random bits? Any shapes to avoid?

And what do I do about my part? I don't know if I should just work aroundit or if I should say fuck it and go wherever I feel like. Hmm.

Also: Whatsa goodsoap to use to keep them clean and beautiful?

And: The best method to keep the roots tight?

Thanks for any help you can give me, I appreciate it greatly. Love to you all! :)

updated by @sarah-belle: 01/13/15 08:52:02PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

ok 1st off

the hair will section itself if u let it 1 inch squares is silly

if u dont want to let it section itself then random sizes and shapes just be careful to not have hairs from 1 dread going into another section

the best wash is baking soda and acv

do nothing at all to the roots the roots need to be left alone only seperate id they grow together

twist and rip works better then backcomb usualy

umm dont bother palm rolling it does niothing at all

and no products whatsoever

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Chels ;)
@chels
14 years ago
37 posts

i twisted and ripped my hair..i am very pleased eith them so far. i think its a good way to go. back combing not so much..you dont want to cause alot of breakage. i also wouldnt be worried to much about your roots. you need to make them strog and by tightining your dreads at the root they can cause alot of pressure on roots that arent used to carrying that much weight. i def wouldnt recommend parting your hair right in the middle..on some people it looks pretty goofy lol. also remember that your mature locks are going to be as big as your sections. i really wouldnt worry about making the sections perfect just go with the way your hair lies

much luck darlin!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

your part will disapear anyway so might as well get rid of it now

--
Sarah Belle
@sarah-belle
14 years ago
3 posts

right on, thanks! I have yet another question:I did a few more dreads using the twist and rip method. I just grabbed chunks of hair but after finishing them and looking at them in a mirror the sections are totally random shaped. The dreads look fine to me, but will the shape of the section matter when they grow and mature?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

not a bit

mine are all natural so all sections are random

--
Valerie
@valerie
14 years ago
39 posts

uh just use random chunks of hair that feel like they belong together. i wouldnt say my sectioning was the best.. but i have some pictures on my profile of the top of my head and my part and stuff to give ya an idea. just remember that they will thicken up to be almost the same as your section at the roots. i also think its best to vary your sizes :)

Sarah Belle
@sarah-belle
14 years ago
3 posts

Yeah, I'm diggin' the varied thickness look a lot better than"uniform" so I'm gonna go for that. Your dreadsturned out beautifully!

Valerie said:

uh just use random chunks of hair that feel like they belong together. i wouldnt say my sectioning was the best.. but i have some pictures on my profile of the top of my head and my part and stuff to give ya an idea. just remember that they will thicken up to be almost the same as your section at the roots. i also think its best to vary your sizes :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form