Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Real hair extensions for dreads or not?

Mark Fry
@mark-fry
14 years ago
39 posts

So I have fairly short dreads, my front dreads can't quite reach behind my ears and it's very annoying to have them in my face all day. I also cannot put my hair up in a hair tie, which I'm dying to do.

What do we all think about getting human hair extensions? There is a place in Brisbane Australia that will do the extensions and dread them for $27.50 each dread. This seems so expensive. I have 33 dreads so I'd be looking at over $900.

I'm just wondering whether it's worth it, and whether there is any negatives to having extensions??

Thanks guys

Frysy

updated by @mark-fry: 02/14/15 06:39:06AM
Lacey Koll
@lacey-koll
14 years ago
14 posts

whoa!!! i ordered mine off ebay.....i have a LOT of hair. i got two orders of them, 22" long and only spent about $70. i just had to dread them up myself and i used a crochet hook to put them in. so yeah..definitely look on ebay first!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

screw that just grow your hair it will get there why waste so much money?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

m ine started at 2 inches sticking up all over so what u can do fun things with short dreads too but they will get longer and longer and longer why make em long now and just wanna cut off the extentions in a year

just let em grow

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

i just took 1 of the dreads gathered up maybe 8 of the dreads in the front and wrapped the 1 around so the rest formed a fountain u define your funky style it can look crazyu and cool at the same time dont be afraid of looking whacky its fun

--
Mark Fry
@mark-fry
14 years ago
39 posts

Thanks for all the hints and tips guys. I'm glad I didn't go out and spend 900 big ones to be laughed at once I walked out of the store haha. That is a crazy price when you can buy them off ebay for one tenth of the price.

I think I will let them grow out myself. Knottysleeves, I like your idea of head bands.... I'm going to pick some up. That site you linked as well is very good.

Thanks everyone!

Andelynn
@andelynn
14 years ago
50 posts

My dreads are also short and the front ones don't fit behind my ears either. I have put a number of beads in around my face to keep the dreads (and loose hair) off my face and it is much less annoying! Also I wear a loose cloth wrap around them - like a very wide hair-band during the day to keep everything off my face while I'm at work. I've been having good luck with this, my only complaint is that I have a whole lot of loose hairs around my hair line around my face - but I've seen on here that the hair around your hair line is typically the last to dread, so I just keep putting them back into their beads and wearing my wrap-thing.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

yea especialy since u should never get dread extentions till theyre 8 months old....and 8 months old is when they start to grow anyways

--
Mark Fry
@mark-fry
14 years ago
39 posts

Hmmm, it seems as if patience is the key to good dreads. Hair band shopping is a must. I'm just about to aloe my hair for the first time. Wish me luck

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

dont use too much just a lil

Hmmm, it seems as if patience is the key to good dreads. Hair band shopping is a must. I'm just about to aloe my hair for the first time. Wish me luck

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form