Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

A Little Concerned I Went a Bit Too Thin

Rob3
@rob3
14 years ago
14 posts
Now, i fully understand that dreads thicken with time, but i am a little concerned that i went a little too thin on the sectioning. I am really hoping that some people would be kind enough and willing to take a photo of their thinnest dread focusing on the root and the final thickness of the dread to ease my mind a little.I really loved the first set that KnottySleeves had and would love to know how big the sections were.... My main concern is that mine thicken just a little at the front mainly to reduce any visible scalp.I am also thinking that TNR on such thin dreads has been a little counter productive, as towards the ends it was more like tying tiny little knots in the ends, subsequently restricting any movement in the rest of the hair above it. I have since combed out the tiny knots at the end to free up movement a little...At the moment they are approx 2/3rds the size of a pencil, and am hoping the will thicken up to around the size of a pencil each which would be perfect.. I know not everyones a fan of thin dreads, but thats what i was after.
updated by @rob3: 01/13/15 08:50:59PM
Natty Dave
@natty-dave
14 years ago
56 posts
i think your worring to much for real. they sound like some skinnies but if that's what you wanted than your set. if your really concerned that they are too small you can let them congo, maybe bead them together to promote their growing together and give it some time.tnr works best for smaller dreads in my experience, the ends i used to pull on separated into 2 or more smaller dreads instead of holding together as one. i prefer a good combination for both tnr and backcombing that worked really well on my current set, manly using tnr to knot up loose ends.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
my thinnest was about the thickness of a coin and that was a congo of 2 togethercount emim betting u have about 200?lets put it this way sisterlocks makes microdreads and they average 400-800 dreads a headif u have 100-200 you'll be thin but not micro

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Bene
@bene
14 years ago
35 posts
this is pretty much the thinnest i could find on my head

i dontt think it is a problem but depending on the type of hair you have it can take way longer to mature for the thinner dreadshope this helps you
updated by @bene: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
JESSICA EVA (Eva Lovelocks)
@jessica-eva-eva-lovelocks
14 years ago
217 posts
this is my thinnest. it seems like people who make lots of tiny ones like this had a lot of dreads turn over on themselves and shrink up super fast and crazy. this one is progressing a lot slower than my other dreads and is finally getting loopy at 5 months.

updated by @jessica-eva-eva-lovelocks: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
14 years ago
184 posts
If you don't like 'em thin, let them congo as you go on with your journey.For real. It's actually reaaaally sick to watch a dreadlock morph into another one.I've got some real phatties growing lol only 2 months or something :P
Rob3
@rob3
14 years ago
14 posts

Eva Lovelocks said:
this is my thinnest.,,,,
Thanks for the photo, i would love to know how large the section size is thats supporting that one..
Rob3
@rob3
14 years ago
14 posts
Thanks for the comments and photos everyone..... Its only really the front ones i was worried about which have a lack of long hair due to constantly wearing a pony tail day an night for years and a touch of traction alopecia..... Also, i never noticed before but i lot a lot of hair when i combed out my waxed set about 18 months back..... So in each dread about half of the hair is only half the length of the rest.....But all in all just a bit of a wobbly day when im only 6 weeks in....I have now undone some of the super tight TNR which i really believe was too restrictive in such thin dreads and lightly backcombed instead which has almost doubled the width of each of them, as before they were no thicker than the straight hair that made them up......Also the roots have started to loosen up as well, as the were TNR relatively tight to the head, which in trun revelaed more scalp than i would have liked......I havent had an accurate count but i would say theres around 70-100 of them... As i said before i want them thin, and i do love them to bits.......What i love even more is that i work in a corporate enviroment as a web developer and i have had Zero negative comments.... actually ive really had no comments at all really... plain indifference mainly, just another hairstyle that doesnt warrant any real interest... My boss said,,... Dreads huh..... nice..
JESSICA EVA (Eva Lovelocks)
@jessica-eva-eva-lovelocks
14 years ago
217 posts
it's about the same size at the entire dread. the base isn't thicker or thinner than the rest of the dread on this one. i have a few other thin ones like this, and it's the same deal.i also worry about the dreads around the front of my hairline, especially around the temples and the corners of my forehead because hair is naturally more sparse there. a lot of those dreads have gotten pretty fat and i wonder if the roots will be able to hold them, but they do! i try not to tie the rest of my dreads up with them though. i have in the mid 60's, but most of them are index finger or thumb thickness. my roots got pretty loose for a while and i had about 3 inches or undreaded hair before they started to dread upwards and figure out what they were supposed to do. sounds liek you're on the right track :)

Rob said:

Eva Lovelocks said:
this is my thinnest.,,,,
Thanks for the photo, i would love to know how large the section size is thats supporting that one..
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form