Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Starting Dreadlocks....Very Confused

Cj Edmond
@cj-edmond
14 years ago
6 posts
Soo I moved out and I've been growing my hair for 4 months. Treating my scalp with ACV rinse and aloe vera to get rid of my little dry scalp issue. Now I'm ready to start something I've wanted to do since I was a child. Dreadlocks.In my 5 months I've been doing alot of research on and off. It has only led to my current confusion, now that Im actually ready to start. I want to do a two strand twist to start my dreads of but Im confused on which product/natural substance to use. I have read alot to NEVER add wax due to residue buildup and the fact that is non-soluble doesn't seem to go well with washing it out. But what should be added when starting dreads, everything I read is mixed. One site says one thing another one says something that goes against it. I know I should just learn as I go, but I really don't want to have to start over. I've seen the Knatty Dread Cream but there are really no reviews on that product.So my basic question is; What do I use to start off my dreadlocks other then wax, to keep it somewhat tidy and tight for growth and maturing??Sorry if this has been asked but, I've done alot of reading and I'm still confused. Thanks in advance for the help. Maybe a picture of my hair length will help?
updated by @cj-edmond: 01/13/15 08:49:01PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
nothing is best or aloe very gell or any moisturizing gel or cream since your black and your hair gets dry easirershae butter worksbut u dont wabnt to use anything to help the dreads only to treat dryness

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Cj Edmond
@cj-edmond
14 years ago
6 posts
Thanks, I did alot of reading but I'll trust an actual person's words before any company site. I have a few aloe vera plants around the house. So if I decide to use this, is there any way to make it smell better? Or should I just buy extract in a bottle
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
the smell vannishes very fast and be absolutely sure its aloe vera not another aloe varietyu can add mango and lime or any oil u want ..lemongrasass lemon balm rosemary whateveror mix with cocoa butteror coconut oilu can get those mango and lime lockimg gels thewyre overpriced but are fine ..they should be used tho just to keep them from getting too drynot as a locking agent ot holding gelyou really need nothing at all to help em lock only to keep em from getting brittle

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
some people use the mango & lime locking gel for twisting african textured hair. I personally think no products is the best way but it's your choice what's best for you. These are the ingredients:Deionized Water (Aqua), Polyquaternium 37, Vp Dmapa/Acrylate Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum). I have no idea what most of those are but I don't see mango or lime anywhere! lol! Aloe is probably your best bet but you need to get all the facts/opinions you can and make your own informed choice of what feels right or you will just remain confused! Many Blessings
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
does anyone know what propylparaben is? Is it some form of wax????
Pathargic
@patrick2
14 years ago
61 posts
It's a crystalline preservative. Judging from this page, it doesn't seem to beneficial. Actually, it's a bit dangerous.
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=705335
Cj Edmond
@cj-edmond
14 years ago
6 posts
Yea from my reading here I'm leaning to the more natural side and to just let it do its thing. But I'm the tidy button up sweater vest type of guy. So I'm attempting to find some type of gel to use to start of with and use sparingly so I don't have omega frizzies. I saw the dread butter recipe on here but I think thats for mature dreads and not new ones. I found gel from Organic Root Stimulator, but I think i'll stick to the aloe and natural creams and butters. Natural has never done any harm. http://www.agrlcanmac.com/2010/07/product-review-organic-root-stimulator.html
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
that's a pretty scary/crazy list of ingredients! IMHO not worth the risk. You got the right idea CJ, you can't go wrong with natural!
Cj Edmond
@cj-edmond
14 years ago
6 posts
Haha yea. I just want to use something to tidy things up a bit. I don't want to go all pure neglect style, my hairs too short and curly for that. It'll just look all messy. I'll stick to the aloe and natural stuff though. These stories about the products are freaking me out. Thanks guys for all the help

NaturalWomyn said:
that's a pretty scary/crazy list of ingredients! IMHO not worth the risk. You got the right idea CJ, you can't go wrong with natural!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form