Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help on starting dreads

Leo
@leo
14 years ago
18 posts
I want to put dreads back in with no wax and i was wondering what the best methid wasmy hair is curly/straigt/wavyim whitemy hair is 9 to 12 inchesi have basketball practice everyday which causes sweat(sometimes alot)I was thinkinggoing to get it 1 by 1 inch sectionsthen backcombingthanks:)
updated by @leo: 01/13/15 08:48:48PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
why would u7 do thatthe best way isnt to put them in but allow them to9 formif you dont go natural then twist and rip but dont do silly 1 inch squaresstop brushing for 2 weeks and let the hair section itself then either let it dread from there by doing nothing or twist and rip using the natural sections as a guide

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Leo
@leo
14 years ago
18 posts
What r the dangers of sectioning?

soaringeagle said:
why would u7 do that the best way isnt to put them in but allow them to9 formif you dont go natural then twist and rip but dont do silly 1 inch squaresstop brushing for 2 weeks and let the hair section itself then either let it dread from there by doing nothing or twist and rip using the natural sections as a guide
Leo
@leo
14 years ago
18 posts
What size sections would yu recomend?Ps my hairs not that curly

Knottysleeves said:
1-inch sections sound a bit big. Keep in mind that dreads tend to get thicker with time, so it's better to start them a little smaller than you'd like them to be at maturity.I'm a fan of backcombing, but curly hair often doesn't need much encouragement to start dreading. Does your hair tangle easily? If so, backcombing would probably be wasted effort.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
dangers of sectioning in squares they look silly fake too uniform all identical boringthey dont need to be that curly to go naturaland let your hair decide the size it wants the sections to be but, set limits dont let them get thicker then u want an inch is the largest u will wantany larger and the mold risk goes way upstart off going natural u can always twist and rip anytime down the road but if u jump in to twist and rip or backcomb then wissh u went natural u cant go back without starting over(and seems like nowadays everyone who backcombed twist and ripped or crocheted still likes to claim to have natural dreads anyways)so really theres no danger in sectioning except for the fake forced lookits a harsher look when they section themselves its a more blended look with thin and thick and medium all blending together perfectlyplus your hair knows where it wants to section itselfu wont be getting dreads trying to split in 2 cause u forced 2 dreads to be 1 or anything

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Pathargic
@patrick2
14 years ago
61 posts
Your hair's already a decent length. Backcombing all that could lead to a lot of damage. I'd suggest the neglect method. If you end up not liking the look, you could do twist and rip instead(just do it once, though). You may want to start with smaller sections as well. Having two smaller dreads congo into one is MUCH easier than separating one large dread into two(I've done that about 2 or 3 times). Even though they weren't completely mature, it still took a lot of effort.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form