Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Will super straight, fine hair lock up by itself?

Michaelllllll
@michaelllllll
14 years ago
9 posts
Hey :)I'm michael, and i just started my dreadlocks about a week ago using the backcomb/crochet method. Before that, i hadn't brushed my hair for over a year and all i had were two tiny knotted sections of hair lol... i have really fine and straight asian hair.Now i have pretty long, pinky-thick dreadlocks and i love them! My question is though, since my hair is so fine and straight.. will they ever lock up? Its been a week and their still pretty tight, but some of them are starting to get REALLY soft, is this normal?Oh and i barely do any maintenance, aside from the occasional palm rolling and counter-clockwise rubbing with natural lock powder. Ive only showered once so far and its been with a clay-based dread soap bar.Is there anything i should be doing maintenance-wise or cleaning wise?Thanks for your help! :DMichael
updated by @michaelllllll: 01/13/15 08:48:26PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yes it willand u shouldnt be rolling rubbing or useing the powders throw away the powders and the crochet hookcrochet is a terible thing to do to dreadsu should be glad they are softening upcrochet ruins dreads u need em to loosen and softenalso your hair was dreading it just might have taken longer then a year but u were 1/2 way therenow u want to wash dreads and umm unless thats that i forget what the clays called but u do not want to use any kind of clay unless its that 1 specific kind..and if the soaps for dreads theres a good chance its crap wash your haor more it will help em dread but 1st u gotta recover from the crochet mistake

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
14 years ago
145 posts
Mine did, and I didn't do any of the "maintenance" you do. I backcombed loosely to start them (very loosely because I was being lazy) and then I just ignored them. No rolling, no products not even salt water, washing with bs and eventually bs/acv, and mine are at 5 months. I did swim a lot when I first started (first month and a half) and I used to put a few beads in my hair till they got too thick to fit all the beads I have. Here's a pic I just took about 30 minutes ago. My hair was fine, straight and thin when I started (and also way longer).
Michaelllllll
@michaelllllll
14 years ago
9 posts
thanks so much!is there any shampoo/soap you guys recommend for my dreads?
tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
14 years ago
145 posts
I just use baking soda rinse followed by a water rinse then diluted vinegar rinse then water again. It wont leave any residue in your hair and it cleans your hair very well. The vinegar part smells, I am not a fan of the smell of vinegar, but after you let it go through your hair and you rinse it you wont smell it any more.

Michael Yang said:
thanks so much!
is there any shampoo/soap you guys recommend for my dreads?
tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
14 years ago
145 posts
I'll try to get some better pictures in good lighting with higher resolution sometime and post them up. At least with the contrasting colors in my hair you can see that there's a lot going on. LOL

rawsum said:
wow tatyananashi.. that shrinkage is astounding ! I would SO like to see a focused high res photo of your dreads... very cool ! !

Tom Twedd
@tom-twedd
14 years ago
28 posts
Just leave your hair alone, it will dread!All hair dreads, just with time. In fact, forget time. Forget dreads and forget you have hair. Dont brush, only wash, no conditioner, two or three times a week. Want to accelerate the locking? Go for a swim in the sea, sea salt is amazing. Thats it.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form