Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

If this is it, I am tempted to comb out!!!

MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
O.K., I have searched the forums for subjects on stiff dreads. None of them seemed to apply to my situation. So, checking to see if anyone else has this issue - or if it even is an issue.Plain and simple, my dreads are stiff. They are not fluffy, they are not soft and they hang like lifeless, hard ropes on my head. I did not use wax, I did not crochet and I do no maintenance except wash, seperate and a few aloe treatments. I have soft water and alternate between Bronners REALLY diluted, a teatree shampoo and BS/ACV to wash.I am afraid this is due to the texture of my hair and I am REALLY not liking it. I see pictures of people with locks on here and most of them look incredibly soft, flowy and fluffy. What is up with mine????? I have been dreading for about 8-9 months now so they are not really "newbies" anymore. They are a little wider than a pencil and are really tightening up. They are loopy and kinky, but incrediby hard. When I squeeze one, it does not give very much - it is not "spongy". Up near the roots they are, but they are not very tight there. Could it be because they are not very thick?I hate the thought of combing them out and giving up. But, I don't want a bunch of "Johnny Clean" looking dreads on my head that never move and hang there like a dead squid (sorry Johnny if you read this, I really don't intend to be mean). I would rather be dreadless.Anyone else have locks like this??? Help????
updated by @midread: 02/14/15 03:31:31AM
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
I have three or four at the nape of my neck that are kinda like this. These were actually from speedily t&r'ing (we were going out to eat, and I'd been at it all day) that mostly fell out... they were the worry of my life for a few months, then became rock solid and now remain some of my most impressive locks. It's helped for me to wait it out and gain a bit more length for them to start loosening up a bit but these dreads have always been pretty tight and well formed. I just rolled with it, but if you're unhappy then you've gotta do what you've gotta do! Have you tried a really strong acv rinse? That helped mine to loosen up quite a bit; made them springy!
Mikey Mikez
@mikey-mikez
14 years ago
90 posts
i dont know how stiff it could be...dreads are tight and hair is generally not very soft.. what u r writing seems like my dreads, growing out of scalp as hair and tightening as they grow...and later they are quite stiff and really tight... like a rope, but i ve never thought that might be a problem...(?)dreads are dreads and i love that they are different than hair... like ropes... i love it, dont u? r u looking for an 'afro' feeling? i really dont know, ...if they were soft they would fall out, wouldnt they?have you tried to touch somebodys elses dreads?
Jdwood
@jdwood
14 years ago
275 posts
Reading one of SE topics he was mentioning that he was become addicted to soft dreads I'll put in the quote of what it does nor soft dreads."i'm addicted to making my dreadlocks super soft. to make my dreadlocks sofdt as can be i've been adding alot of oils to mt baking soda acv wash.typically , 1 dropperful of rosemary, a full dropper thats a mix of teatree pepermingt and lavander, 2 squirts of the body splash, and then for the extra extra softness 1/2 to a full dropper full of jojoba, and a squirt of africas best hair oils. yea it sounds like alot and sorta is (i follow with maylees garden bar to remove oiliness from the roots)
Jim the Kraken
@jim-the-kraken
14 years ago
81 posts
a spray with some tea tree and vitamin e oil helped me out on my last set. i let the spray sit for about 15-20 min. before a wash.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
do they feel dry are u useing the acv after bstry adding any of theresea lil jojobas oilaloecocia buttervitamin eafricas best oilseven a tiny bit of olive oilthey'll soften right upif u use too much oil follow with bronnners or maylees to remove exvccess

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
oh no! it might be because you have such coarse hair. i would try the oils before trying to comb them out. maybe they'll soften up as they get longer.
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
I have never felt anyone else's locks because I don't know anyone who has them - I am in this all by myself here!!! Maybe they are supposed to feel like this????? It just seems like they look and feel REALLY stiff to me. They are not quite shoulder length though. Maybe they need to lengthen and thicken up a little and they won't seem so stiff.I have jojoba oil that I use on them but maybe I should put it in my rinse instead of using it after my hair is dry to tame frizzies. I use a little aloe on them too - straight out of the plant, so it can't be from any chemicals. I know they are supposed to be like ropes, but mine feel more like twine!!!! I filled the sink with cool water today and dumped a bunch of ACV in it and just dunked my head in and let my hair soak for a while. It seemed to soften them up a little, but they are still kind of stiff.My hair does not feel very soft now because I have not used any heavy conditioners for months. My hair is generally course and slightly dry because it is really curly. I was not aware that newly formed dreads would loosen up any with time. Maybe it is just that they are still under a year old "teenagers" and they will thicken and loosen a little. I really don't want to comb them out. But like I said, I don't want a head full of big 'ole stiff dreads either.I will investigate the body splash. I have seen threads about it, but have no idea what it is. Maybe I will just try the BS/ACV washes with some oils exclusively for a while and see if that helps loosen them up and condition them a little. Maybe the teatree shampoo is making them super tight. I do notice that my hair seems to really be tight after I wash with that.Its really hard when you have never seen anyone with dreads up close or know anyone with dreads so that you can kind of "feel 'em up" so to speak LOL! Even all of you guys appear to have really soft looking dreads from your pictures. Mine feel like they could poke somebody's eye out!!! I will investigate all the suggestions and see if anything helps. Otherwise, I guess I have to learn to love my funky, stiff dreads!!! Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
maybe lay off the aloe?and add jojoba to the rinceand stop trying to controll frizzthe aloe might be sicking everything in making it too tight might even be building up i diunnoand jojoba will help more in ther rinse when it can penetrate not just sit on the surfacenot sure thats right but thats what mu instincts say u should try

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
O.K. - was being a "little" bit of a drama queen. I don't really want to comb them out. I'll try the jojoba IN the rinse instead of after they dry. I don't use that much aloe at all. Not even every few days. I really don't do that much with them except wash, split and go. That is why I can't understand why they seem stiff, except that maybe they are really tight. Like I said, I think I will lay off the teatree shampoo too and just try the BS/ACV for a while and maybe they will soften up. Maybe this is just the way they are supposed to be??? I need to find somebody in this two horse town with some dreadies!!!!Thanks for the help!
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form