Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

If this is it, I am tempted to comb out!!!

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
From my experience with non-dreaded hair..I would say that the problem is the teatree. I have VERY, coarse, dry hair and I find for myself (and some clients!) that teatree is waaaaaayyyyyyyy too drying and it made me hair feel like a stiff bristled paint brush. I loved how it helped my scalp but with steady use I felt like my hair was turning into a hedgehog!! I would quit the teatree and the aloe vera and try just the BS/ACV for awhile. I 'll bet your hair will feel better pretty quick...if it still is alittle rough, try a small bit of oil as suggested. Good luck sweetie and keep us posted :)
updated by @panterra-caraway: 07/23/15 03:41:08PM
Jack Roth
@jack-roth
14 years ago
298 posts
Do u mean like rock hard ???? take some pictures so we can get an idea of the texture cause atm im imagine rock hard dreads which imo would also be brittle??
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts

Yep! I soak in baking soda for a little, then drain, refill the sink with fresh water - add ACV and then soak and rinse with a little fresh water. I know its not rocket science - maybe I just have crappy hair, which I knew BEFORE I had dreads. rawsum said:
just to be sure.. you do the BS rinse and the ACV rinse separately correct? .. with fresh water rinses in between the BS and the ACV and then after the ACV with cold water ?

MiDread said:
O.K. - was being a "little" bit of a drama queen. I don't really want to comb them out. I'll try the jojoba IN the rinse instead of after they dry. I don't use that much aloe at all. Not even every few days. I really don't do that much with them except wash, split and go. That is why I can't understand why they seem stiff, except that maybe they are really tight. Like I said, I think I will lay off the teatree shampoo too and just try the BS/ACV for a while and maybe they will soften up. Maybe this is just the way they are supposed to be??? I need to find somebody in this two horse town with some dreadies!!!!

Thanks for the help!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
wait that sounds like your doing baking soda then u use new water with acv..but are niot rinsing betweeenu know baking soda reacts with vinager causes heat and foam that creates a seperate chemicalthats probly the issuewhy are u doing it in a sink not the shower?try thisin the shower pour the baking soda over your head..wait 10 minutes then rinse it out wellafter u rinse the baking soda pour ion the acv..wait 3 min then rinseif your dunkingh in the acv while bs is stull in your hair your gonna cause that reaction that creates an acid that can probably dry the hair like crazy

MiDread said:

Yep! I soak in baking soda for a little, then drain, refill the sink with fresh water - add ACV and then soak and rinse with a little fresh water. I know its not rocket science - maybe I just have crappy hair, which I knew BEFORE I had dreads.
rawsum said:
just to be sure.. you do the BS rinse and the ACV rinse separately correct? .. with fresh water rinses in between the BS and the ACV and then after the ACV with cold water ?

MiDread said:
O.K. - was being a "little" bit of a drama queen. I don't really want to comb them out. I'll try the jojoba IN the rinse instead of after they dry. I don't use that much aloe at all. Not even every few days. I really don't do that much with them except wash, split and go. That is why I can't understand why they seem stiff, except that maybe they are really tight. Like I said, I think I will lay off the teatree shampoo too and just try the BS/ACV for a while and maybe they will soften up. Maybe this is just the way they are supposed to be??? I need to find somebody in this two horse town with some dreadies!!!!

Thanks for the help!

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts

Yeah, I guess I did make it sound like I didn't rinse out the baking soda. And maybe a couple of times I didn't. But, if I wash it in the shower (which I do) then the baking soda gets rinsed out. Sometimes I just feel like I need a really good deep clean and I soak in the sink for a few minutes - it's not an all the time deal. Last week I dumped it over my head in the shower. I actually can't remember if I rinsed out the BS before I used the ACV last time I dunked. Maybe it's more rocket science than I thought LOL! I will make a mental note to be sure to rinse out the BS before the ACV rinse. Half the time, I am so distracted when I am doing anything because I have a five year old, a teenager or a dog screaming at me for something or scratching at the bathroom door - or running through the bathroom when I am just trying to have 5 minutes to myself for some personal grooming!! There is a distinct possibility that I have not rinsed between several times. I know that sounds kind of idiotic to not be able to remember, but even as I type my posts on here, my five year old is just jabbering away at me constantly and the dog is trying to sit in my lap!
soaringeagle said:
wait that sounds like your doing baking soda then u use new water with acv..but are niot rinsing betweeen
u know baking soda reacts with vinager causes heat and foam that creates a seperate chemical
thats probly the issue

why are u doing it in a sink not the shower?

try this
in the shower pour the baking soda over your head..wait 10 minutes then rinse it out well

after u rinse the baking soda pour ion the acv..wait 3 min then rinse

if your dunkingh in the acv while bs is stull in your hair your gonna cause that reaction that creates an acid that can probably dry the hair like crazy

MiDread said:

Yep! I soak in baking soda for a little, then drain, refill the sink with fresh water - add ACV and then soak and rinse with a little fresh water. I know its not rocket science - maybe I just have crappy hair, which I knew BEFORE I had dreads.
rawsum said:

MiDread said:

Thanks for the help!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
haha i know how it is my 2 and 5 yewar old nephews live wityh me and drive me crazy i got no sleep last night cause they decided to play piano and drums when i was just getting to sleep..oh but you'll get a kick out of thyis the 1 came in and says i want to show u a picture ..they were suposed tpoo draw a picture for school and had a bunch of options well they had a outline picture to start with the 1 he chose was a picture of jesus and he scribbled all over jesus then drew a scribble above his head.. and i asked whats that suposed to be and he says..its a penis..lol so i asked why he drew it and he says ..cause he needed 1his teacher liked thye picture but luckily nhe never told her about the penis ..lllcrazy kids...

MiDread said:

Yeah, I guess I did make it sound like I didn't rinse out the baking soda. And maybe a couple of times I didn't. But, if I wash it in the shower (which I do) then the baking soda gets rinsed out. Sometimes I just feel like I need a really good deep clean and I soak in the sink for a few minutes - it's not an all the time deal. Last week I dumped it over my head in the shower. I actually can't remember if I rinsed out the BS before I used the ACV last time I dunked. Maybe it's more rocket science than I thought LOL! I will make a mental note to be sure to rinse out the BS before the ACV rinse. Half the time, I am so distracted when I am doing anything because I have a five year old, a teenager or a dog screaming at me for something or scratching at the bathroom door - or running through the bathroom when I am just trying to have 5 minutes to myself for some personal grooming!! There is a distinct possibility that I have not rinsed between several times. I know that sounds kind of idiotic to not be able to remember, but even as I type my posts on here, my five year old is just jabbering away at me constantly and the dog is trying to sit in my lap!
soaringeagle said:
wait that sounds like your doing baking soda then u use new water with acv..but are niot rinsing betweeen
u know baking soda reacts with vinager causes heat and foam that creates a seperate chemical
thats probly the issue

why are u doing it in a sink not the shower?

try this
in the shower pour the baking soda over your head..wait 10 minutes then rinse it out well

after u rinse the baking soda pour ion the acv..wait 3 min then rinse

if your dunkingh in the acv while bs is stull in your hair your gonna cause that reaction that creates an acid that can probably dry the hair like crazy

MiDread said:

rawsum said:

MiDread said:

Thanks for the help!

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
Now THAT is too hysterical!!!
tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
14 years ago
145 posts
I have a few that are stiff as well, and it's just because they locked up super super super tight. I was concerned about one of them cuz it got all short fat and stiff, so I soaked it in jojoba oil and worked it in there, and since it was so tight it didn't untangle but it did get a little floppier (if that makes any sense). It is still stiffer than the others, and it shrank up a lot so I think it's because it got so tight.I bought that bodysplash oil that rawsum used to get rid of his wax not because I had wax to get rid of (I didn't use wax) but because it makes my nails super strong. It's quite conditioning as well so I occasionally put it in my hair, now that it's tight enough that I'm not worried about losing knots.My smaller ones are stiffer where they are tight, so maybe because they don't have as much hair they tighten up more or something? I'm not sure, but conditioning helped for the ones that bugged me the most, and I like you didn't want to look like johnny clean.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form