Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

What length for dreads

Thundersquall
@thundersquall
14 years ago
235 posts
So i am debating whether or not to throw away my hair pic yet. My hair currently reaches from the top of my scalp to the tip of my nose, so not long but some length, and its taken me since february to get it that length. Reason i started this discussion, is because i have heard that when your hair begins to dread, your hair shrinks in length somewhat. But yet i have also heard that starting dreads when your hair is shorter, can be beneficial and produce strong dreads in the end. Is there any validity to those statements? Thats the only reason i havent let my hair do its thing cause...i dont wanna ruin what length i have grown, ya dig? For me, the impatience hasnt been in waiting for dreads to come, given my ancestry, but for the length.
updated by @thundersquall: 01/13/15 08:48:09PM
Zen Rasta
@zen-rasta
14 years ago
19 posts
Stop combing whenever you're ready. It makes no difference. Either way there will be shrinkage for quite a while, that's basically how locks form. They shrink in a bit and tighten for a while then they get longer. For us nappy haired folk, we can start whenever. Some people start from bald, some start from a 6 inch afro. Either wasy we'll see results because that's just what our hair does (and what most hair does after a longer period of time).I stop picking mine at about an inch 3 weeks ago. I use BS/ACV wash with some essential oils twice a week and i leave in a sea salt water spray once a week for an hour. Simple.Enjoy the journey
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yea what he saidsyour hair will dread short as hell the longer it gets the more it shgrinks too so throw away the pick and dread it up

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Thundersquall
@thundersquall
14 years ago
235 posts
haha hey simply put but well said fellas. Zen did you put yours into sections when you started? Reason i ask is cause if i did that now i might save myself the trouble later of "ripping" them into sections. Either way, thanks.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
u wil have to rip no matter what u doand not sectioning will give u more natural sections

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Thundersquall
@thundersquall
14 years ago
235 posts
You know eagle, if what you just said is true it makes me wonder why some create sections in the first place, if you later on will still have to rip em. Im not worried about different sized dreads so maybe sectioning is..pointless?
Zen Rasta
@zen-rasta
14 years ago
19 posts
Nope. No sections. Nature will section it for me. You can twist some stands of hair to help section it off but preferably under 2 conditions:1) You section them kinda randomly (no exact pattern, vary the size of each section a bit) unless you want uniform locks (boring!!)2) Dont over twist!! As in dont twist too tight and dont twist too often. Twist them loosely once and leave em. Maybe twist them again ONE more time a few weeks later if some sections really fall out. But dont get into a habit of needing them to be frequently twisted and neat.It generally should be a natural process for our type of hair so no need to fuss. Either way later on you may or may not want to (or believe you need to) separate some locks. Only real reason to separate is if you dont want certain locks to become too big (called a Congo). Could cause some issues with drying time, comfort and aesthetic appeal (for yourself and maybe to others) but at the end of the day, who cares? Theyre your locks, let them be like you. Free, simple and happy.Im nearing my 1 month pick-free mark on November 1st. My hair is napping and tightening up pretty nicely. I should post a pic on my page soon. Add me as a friend if you like.Peace and love.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form