Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Another Example of Dread Discrimination

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
Thought I would share this with you...what are your thoughts? http://www.examiner.com/humanist-in-portland/segregation-isolation-for-dreadlocks-virgina-state-prison If this fails to load...the gist is: Associated Press reports that atleast 48 inmates in Virginia jails are in isolation because they refuse to cut their hair. More than a dozen of these are Rastafarians who grow their hair as part of their religion. Ten of these inmates have been in isolation for more than a decade. Civil Rights groups are outraged. Virginia is amoung a dozen states, mostly in the South, who limit the length of inmates hair and beards.
updated by @panterra-caraway: 01/13/15 08:48:01PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
not loading for me can u edit the 1st post and copy/paste the whole thing or the relevany parts at least

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kaitelyn
@kaitelyn
14 years ago
17 posts
Segregation, isolation for dreadlocks in Virgina state prisonAssociated Press reports at least 48 inmates in Virginia jails are being kept in isolation because they refuse to cut their hair. More than a dozen of those inmates are Rastafarians, who grow their hair long as part of their religion.About 10 of those Rastafarians have been held in isolation for a decade.Inmates are being punished for failing to comply with prison rules. Virginias grooming policy requires inmates to keep their hair above the shirt collar and prohibits beards.Civil rights activists are demanding action, claiming that the policy violates the prisoners freedom to worship.Secretary of Public Safety Marla Decker recently ordered a count of inmates being held in isolation because of the hair policy, but officials say that doesnt mean the policy will changeIn addition to the Rastafarians, it is likely that Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Sikhs, Native Americans and others whose religious beliefs call for them not to cut their hair account for many of the inmates being segregated.AP reports Virginia is among only about a dozen states, mostly in the South, that limit the length of inmates' hair and beards, according to the American Correctional Chaplains Association. A handful of those allow religious accommodations for those whose religious beliefs prohibit cutting their hair. There is no hair policy for federal prisoners.
Dazed Yeti
@dazed-yeti
14 years ago
1 posts
The report doesnt give any details but from the Virgina prison and rasta references I realized I just watched a documentary on the guy behind all this a couple weeks ago. The guys name is Mumia Abu-Jamal and the documentary was In Prison My Whole Life. Heres a wiki link for him http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumia_Abu-Jamal . To sum it up he was a black panther back in the 70's, was driving down the street and saw his little brother getting beaten on the sidewalk by a cop with a billy club so he ran over and shot him dead. He's been in prison for 30 years. Now cop or not if I saw my little brother getting beaten on the ground with a club, you just forfeited your life. I highly reccomend that movie, the court coverups, cops dropping a bomb on a house with women and children in it etc.etc. And to top it off he's got some amazing dreads.Oh and this is my first post so howdy everyone
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts

Thanks for that Kaitelyn! Couldn't get my computer to copy and paste this...you rock :)
Kaitelyn said:
Segregation, isolation for dreadlocks in Virgina state prison

Associated Press reports at least 48 inmates in Virginia jails are being kept in isolation because they refuse to cut their hair. More than a dozen of those inmates are Rastafarians, who grow their hair long as part of their religion.

About 10 of those Rastafarians have been held in isolation for a decade.

Inmates are being punished for failing to comply with prison rules. Virginias grooming policy requires inmates to keep their hair above the shirt collar and prohibits beards.

Civil rights activists are demanding action, claiming that the policy violates the prisoners freedom to worship.

Secretary of Public Safety Marla Decker recently ordered a count of inmates being held in isolation because of the hair policy, but officials say that doesnt mean the policy will change

In addition to the Rastafarians, it is likely that Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Sikhs, Native Americans and others whose religious beliefs call for them not to cut their hair account for many of the inmates being segregated.

AP reports Virginia is among only about a dozen states, mostly in the South, that limit the length of inmates' hair and beards, according to the American Correctional Chaplains Association. A handful of those allow religious accommodations for those whose religious beliefs prohibit cutting their hair. There is no hair policy for federal prisoners.
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts

Thanks for the Wiki info! And welcome to the site :)
Dazed Yeti said:
The report doesnt give any details but from the Virgina prison and rasta references I realized I just watched a documentary on the guy behind all this a couple weeks ago. The guys name is Mumia Abu-Jamal and the documentary was In Prison My Whole Life. Heres a wiki link for him http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumia_Abu-Jamal . To sum it up he was a black panther back in the 70's, was driving down the street and saw his little brother getting beaten on the sidewalk by a cop with a billy club so he ran over and shot him dead. He's been in prison for 30 years. Now cop or not if I saw my little brother getting beaten on the ground with a club, you just forfeited your life. I highly reccomend that movie, the court coverups, cops dropping a bomb on a house with women and children in it etc.etc. And to top it off he's got some amazing dreads.

Oh and this is my first post so howdy everyone
Kaitelyn
@kaitelyn
14 years ago
17 posts
of course, just happy to help..and Dazed Yeti, thanks for posting, i definitely want to check out that documentary.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form