Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Taking the first steps on this journey

alf
@alf
14 years ago
2 posts
Hi everyone!So, first let me tell you about me.I live in Costa Rica. I was born here. I love cold weather and I am usually very uncomfortable with the local sunny, hot, humid weather, I pretty much avoid spending time outdoors during daytime. If things go according to the plan next year I'll sell all my possessions that can't fit in my backpack and start a trip around the globe, not sure if I am bound to find my home for the rest of my life, or just wander aimlessly. I do see myself being a nomad, taking temporary jobs in exchange for a meal and room for sleeping.I have, for years, lived a very structured life, I have a car, a motorcycle, a house that could hold a whole family even though I live alone, a great job. I could have a partner, but I decided not to in the nick of time. And the more stuff I have, the more I realize that this is not really what life is about. There has to be something else.How far on this I am in?I have been weighing this optiong for over a year now. But just yesterday I crossed the point of no return and got most of my hair T&R'ed. I was an intense journey watching TV and losing sensitivity on my arms for holding them up for hours. The first lock took an hour and a half, by the end it was taking me 15 minutes each. I haven't counted them but they are several slim ones. My hair is well over ten inches long even after doing this.Why dreadlocks?I always get nice comments about my hair, it's silky, straight, I don't even need to comb or use fancy stuff, in fact I normally use a very rough dandruff shampoo (another downside of living in the hot humid weather). With dreadlocks it will not look bad, I'm sure, but most people has a 'OMG YOU WILL DO WHAT? NO WAY' reaction to my idea of doing this. I admit there is a morbid bliss in doing something to my hair, just because it's mine; despite of what anybody will say. It's an affirmation of freedom from imposed rules and opinions.No one expects this from me. I am the guy that wears black every day. I don't identify myself with what people identifies as related to dreadlocks (the wrong idea of them being just about rastafari, or jamaican, or reggae). No, I am an average white guy, rock-listener, meat-eater. Of course, those stereotypes about dreadlocks are all wrong historical and culturally, but are predominant in our society. There are also several stereotypes set on my profession, on my skin color, on my location. We humans have the horrible habit of attempting to classify everything others do and say and assume we can describe the big picture based on a single detail.Where will this journey take me?Well, hopefully we will find that out together. While I prepare to my geographical journey, I want to know more about myself, thus I have embarked on an inner journey this year.How come I am 28 and I don't know what am I here on Earth? What is my mission? When I was like 12 I realized life should be approached like a video game: learn the patterns, exploit the weaknesses of the system, figure out how to get the most points, and if possible, leave an awesome record so others will scratch their heads wondering how come you do so well. At that moment I could only figure that points in life weren't money, but happiness. And yes, I've done well. I am extremely happy. I fulfill my needs, I have a rewarding job and I have modeled everything in my life to satisfy me: I drive a nice old Mercedes (the car of my dreams when I was in the kinder garden), I have a big noisy chopper, I have my own house where I can seclude myself completely and avoid any and all human personal interactions for as long as I want. I love my life and what I've done with it and what I've achieved, and I cannot think of material possessions that I would prefer over the ones I have, It is all perfect if you observe the goals I had.I could play by these rules and live a great life by the measure of most. But something is still missing. Dreadlocks will change the way others see me. They will change my habits and my priorities. They are something new in a life that I have planned to be immune to surprises and lived by the script for over half my life.I don't know if I am making any sense. This post sure came out much longer than I initially expected, and I've sure opened myself more than I thought I would, but I have been stalking this site for a while, doing research and weighing my decision, and you guys seem to be a nice bunch, so I'm holding no secrets.If you have read this far, thanks!alf
updated by @alf: 01/13/15 08:46:47PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well great intro and definitely great to relieve yourself of possessions and go on the road awhileyou should go on the rainbow trail it will be a lifechanging experienceand when u can post a timeline with pics

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Emmy G
@emmy-g
14 years ago
16 posts
he tells everybody to go to rainbow. but regardless, you should try it.as far as your disillusionment, congrats. now you are coming to an important realization of facts I wish more people understood. Travel will prove that you need no possessions to achieve joy. Also, there is something about being in new places that awakens the senses. Keep your eyes open to the lessons the universe will show you! You will not regret!
Jon2
@jon2
14 years ago
25 posts
I could relate with quite a bit there, so what I think you're doing is awesome. Do what's best for ya, not what other people think is best for ya. I've been starting to do that slowly and it's such a great feeling.Good luck on your journey.
Naomi
@naomi
14 years ago
20 posts
You've pretty much outlined what nearly everyone dreams at some point in life. I hope you go through with it, you will enjoy it and be so much happier for oIt.
alf
@alf
14 years ago
2 posts
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

It has been interesting this week. My hair looks ridiculously primitive, as I knew it would and it will for a few months until it mats. Tomorrow I am visiting my parents, I look forward to seeing my mom's surprised face.

I have been wearing a hoodie most days at the office, and so far no one in upper management has an issue with it, so hopefully there won't be any issues with the vague dress code they have.

SE, I'll read more about the rainbow trail.

Bridget, that is a truly inspiring story. I googled it yesterday and spent a couple hours reading the wonderful things that guy is doing.

I should take a couple pictures of my hair a week to compare as time passes.

Thank you all for your support!

alf
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form