Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums
Christian
@christian
14 years ago
7 posts
I'm Christian and I'm new to this site. I've been wanting dreads for a few weeks now and I'm wondering still whether I should get them or not. Or which way I should. I have really straight hair, I'm asian. I guess that's why, Lol. I was wondering how to maintain it, If I do start off with neglect. And the same question if I were to crochet it. Thanks!
updated by @christian: 02/14/15 07:51:35AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
welcome asiain and straight hair dreads just fine so u can go natural or twist and rip easilyti hust wouldnt crochet like so many asians do its so bad for dreads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
ferry
@ferry
14 years ago
5 posts
im asian too lol.so im in the same boat as you. im around 2 months natural and you can definitely see progress. 2 months may seem like a long time but it feels like i just started yesterday haha. cant wait till im at the 6 month mark. welcome to the site. hope you have a wonderful dreading experience dude.
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Crochet can be really damaging...and once you start maintaining with crochet you never stop crocheting cus there will always be something to "fix"I would suggest neglect--no maintenance except for washing and separating congos. As long as you ignore the calendar or the mirror you will be fine :)
Christian
@christian
14 years ago
7 posts
I'm thinking about backcombing it once it's long enough, because I don't think I'd start off on neglect just yet. I don't want to start off with neglect because of school, and I sort of want a job.Would the length of my hair have to be the same? Because the top part is slightly shorter than the back, so it's in somewhat of a mullet. Eh, it doesn't have to be, but it could be.But thanks for the help! :) I really want them!
Christian
@christian
14 years ago
7 posts
Heck yeah man, thanks bro. I'll look into that. Thanks for all the help man! :D
Michaelllllll
@michaelllllll
14 years ago
9 posts
Hey!ahh yes... asian hair and dreads :(damn our super straight and fine hair haha...I know many people on this site disapprove of the backcombing than crocheting technique because it is "damaging" but to be quite honest, with our asian hair, the neglect method takes a ridiculously long time. If it even works in the end... i just didnt brush or condition my hair for about a year and half (not with the intention of getting dreads though) and all i had were a few tiny knots in the back.I did start my dreads using the crochet method, and it seems like its working. my dreads look extremely mature for only one week, and they seem to be doing alright. (ill attach a pic)all in all, i would not push you to try the crochet method, but i feel that for hair types like ours, its the best way. nothing else would make as tight, safe, and beautiful locks short of wax (ughhh), but i would not recommend a crocheting maitenance as it can be damaging.but good luck with your dreads! im in the same boat :P
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
my sis's ex was japanese with hair to his waist hed wake up every morn with 3-5 gigantic dreads if he didnt braid it b4 bedit dreaded naturaly overnightso your totaly wrong about asain hair not dreading naturaly however if its oily or dirty or could be slow also the shampoo you used although u skipped conditioners could be conditioning on its own

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
14 years ago
184 posts
Definitely try the twist and rip method. Should give your hair a kick start to dreading. Although every method you choose will have them looking like crap for a few months, they will lock up!I keep having to tear my month old dreads apart from each other. they love to congo!Big help: Sleeping on a wool blanket/scarf or something wool. Locks them up sooo much faster. Whenever I can, I wrap my head in a wool blanket and walk around my house. I look like a fool, but I can tell it works.
ferry
@ferry
14 years ago
5 posts
im going natural and my hair has been sectioning quite well. just let it do its thing.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form