Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

A month in with questions

kookla
@kookla
14 years ago
13 posts
Hi! I'm about a month in, and I feel like I have so many questions!I backcombed, no wax or products.One person did my first dread, to show us how. That one is tight, did not come undone at all, and is the thickest. The rest were done by another person. They are substantially looser, and not nearly as thick. At this point they kind of look like strands of hair stuck together. They are not visibly knotted, but stuck together about 1/4" or so and very wavy.Is this normal? :) I know from reading so much of it is just waiting..How often should I be ripping them apart? Because they are going craaaaazy up there. I could probably rip them apart 3 times a day to keep them separated. Will there come a point in a few months (I hope!) where I don't have to worry about this?And, what on earth do I do with the massive amounts of loose hair. I have a lot that doesn't seem to have any desire to find a home. There are parts of my head that look like normal straight hair, there is so much that is loose.Also, (last one!) I wear it up almost every day. It just gets to hot at work. I try to keep it in a pretty loose ponytail. Sometimes higher, sometimes low so it is not always in the same spot. Is that going to be ok?Thanks so much!amy
updated by @kookla: 01/13/15 08:44:24PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
wellwhen u seperate being that u seperate alot are u pulling apart dreads that want to be dreads? or just seperating 1 dread from anothercause u are saying 2 diferent things1 its not dreDing and 2 i need to seperate cause its overdreadingpics would help but in getting the feeling your undoing progresscan u slip a bead on the sections to keep em defines so u know what belongs where and not tear em apart?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
meg ☮
@meg
14 years ago
92 posts
I have the wavy bits too, don't worry about it. besides, it looks awesome :) I try to do some separating around the sides of my head, because that's where I sleep, but I'm not sure if I should be doing this or not. Just know that the backcombing will fall out and your hair will knot up again (I backcombed too). My backcombing is pretty much all gone now, and I've got a LOT of knots.and loose hair is just fine! I have a lot of it too. don't worry, it'll find a home, or make one for itself in the form of a baby dread.
kookla
@kookla
14 years ago
13 posts
Ok, I finally got to upload some pictures! Sorry for the delay.Hopefully, this shows what I am talking about? These were taken last week. First pic is the first dread that is the thickest and tightest. Remaining pics are the current state of my hair with an amazing amount of loose hair.I think if I could get some of this loose hair into a home I would feel better...
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
looks like your mostly goin natural so add some beads to help define sections and reduce ripping and let em do what thewy want

--
Jake Holland
@jake-holland
14 years ago
203 posts
I agree and if you continue the natural route then they are lookin good for it :) soaringeagle said:
looks like your mostly goin natural so add some beads to help define sections and reduce ripping and let em do what thewy want
kookla
@kookla
14 years ago
13 posts
Thanks! I did not intend to go natural. They were sectioned and backcombed, but most of that came out, save the first one put in. That one actually looks like a dread. :)Glad they are going ok.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
backcombing almost always falls apart its a wasted step usualytwist n rips way more effectiveand lass damaging but your dreading naturaly now so just go with it

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form