Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Any tips?

Mary
@mary
14 years ago
140 posts
Hello all this is MJ,I am currently new to this support forum. I think locks are amazing and beautiful and as of Tuesday I will have them. I am a bit worried because I am in the dark. I did a ton of research a year ago but I managed to forget a lot of it. I was wondering, I am getting my dreads thin and with extensions to begin. What type of hair do I use? Human hair is too expensive and I currently am wearing Senegalese twists in my hair. Is it okay to use Afro Kinky synthetic hair?
updated by @mary: 02/14/15 10:58:52AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
what do u mean "getting them" and why are u goind with extentionsdreads should be freeu grow them not get themjust stop combing and dreads happen but u can assist them along the way by doing twists just do it yourself!dont go to a salonand i wouldnt do extentions at least not untill the dreads are dreadedyoud only end up cutting off the extentions when they start to grow anyway

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mary
@mary
14 years ago
140 posts
Well it takes over a year for locks to "happen" and then it comes out in this very varied size style. I would prefer to go to a professional I trust. I am aware that extensions have to come out as your hair grow. If you do not have the name of the extensions that I should use then please do not send me these rude replies. soaringeagle said:
what do u mean "getting them" and why are u goind with extentions
dreads should be free
u grow them not get them
just stop combing and dreads happen but u can assist them along the way by doing twists just do it yourself!
dont go to a salon
and i wouldnt do extentions at least not untill the dreads are dreaded
youd only end up cutting off the extentions when they start to grow anyway
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
who told you that???? thats a lie to scare u into going to a salon that will screw up ypur dreads and rip u off..guaranteed salon dreads are always a disasternow take some good advicenatural dreads take weeks or a month or 2 usualy with african hair its fasteryou can control the size easily just seperate into the section sizes you want..but even if u dont go natural your best bet is to do it yourself (and save an average of 600 bucks too)\iys so easy to do yourself with a freind helping do the backif african do twists comb twists or 2 strand twistsif not twist and rip..thats ita salon will wax your head or crochet will do dread perms or interlock will use glue on extentions will tell you not to even wet your hait for a month to a year! a salon will tell u to rewax weekly and come back to them every week for more work at 120 bucks a week in a month you spent over 1000 on aa mess which will never dread because of all the waxif your smart youll take advice and not just assume u know it all salons are a disaster every time MJ said:
Well it takes over a year for locks to "happen" and then it comes out in this very varied size style. I would prefer to go to a professional I trust. I am aware that extensions have to come out as your hair grow. If you do not have the name of the extensions that I should use then please do not send me these rude replies.

soaringeagle said:
dreads should be free
u grow them not get them
just stop combing and dreads happen but u can assist them along the way by doing twists just do it yourself!
dont go to a salon

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mary
@mary
14 years ago
140 posts
Thank you for your advice but the hair stylist is licensed and has been a friend of my family since I was a child. She is so nice she squeezed me into her busy schedule and is only charging me fifty dollars with the guarantee that if they fall out I will be reimbursed. Although it seems easy to place them in I am very bad at attempting to create my own dreads. soaringeagle said:
who told you that???? thats a lie to scare u into going to a salon that will screw up ypur dreads and rip u off..guaranteed salon dreads are always a disaster
now take some good advice

natural dreads take weeks or a month or 2 usualy with african hair its faster

you can control the size easily just seperate into the section sizes you want..

but even if u dont go natural your best bet is to do it yourself (and save an average of 600 bucks too)

\iys so easy to do yourself with a freind helping do the back
if african do twists comb twists or 2 strand twists
if not twist and rip..thats it
a salon will wax your head or crochet will do dread perms or interlock will use glue on extentions will tell you not to even wet your hait for a month to a year! a salon will tell u to rewax weekly and come back to them every week for more work at 120 bucks a week in a month you spent over 1000 on aa mess which will never dread because of all the wax

if your smart youll take advice and not just assume u know it all salons are a disaster every time

MJ said:
Well it takes over a year for locks to "happen" and then it comes out in this very varied size style. I would prefer to go to a professional I trust. I am aware that extensions have to come out as your hair grow. If you do not have the name of the extensions that I should use then please do not send me these rude replies.

soaringeagle said:
dreads should be free
u grow them not get them
dont go to a salon
Mary
@mary
14 years ago
140 posts
Thank you very much! I guess I am going to have to pick up a few more packages on my way home tomorrow. Netty Mey said:
i used that afro kinky one. the hair is pretty cheap. and you can get some pretty awesome colors. i think i got like 6 packs for like $25. before i started the natural ones i had tried dread extensions. i loved em but the lady who did mine started to freak me out cuz my scalp was a bit swollen and then went on this whole thing about tension alopecia. so i took em out like that evening lol. i know that your set on doing em and i respect ur wishes.. I'm Mexican AMerican and it did nothing to help the process for me. I back combed and i thought it made em look pretty good for starting off. Anyhow I'm sure whatever u choose will look awesome. Good luck!! :)
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
I don't know much about fake hair,never having used it but i have heard many people on here unhappy after going to a salon. I am also pretty sure that you're not supposed to put extensions in dreads that are not mature. SE wasn't being rude he was being honest. There is quite a lot of good info on this site if you read around. Good Luck and Many Blessings
Mary
@mary
14 years ago
140 posts
I think I may just talk the stylist into not adding extensions. As lovely as they look I do not want to have any problems NaturalWomyn said:
I don't know much about fake hair,never having used it but i have heard many people on here unhappy after going to a salon. I am also pretty sure that you're not supposed to put extensions in dreads that are not mature. SE wasn't being rude he was being honest. There is quite a lot of good info on this site if you read around. Good Luck and Many Blessings
neil coe
@neil-coe
14 years ago
361 posts
yea for sure se really knows his stuff and i would take his advice almost every time.... and hes right thats a scare tactic........ a year and a half to dread,,, ha ha ha i been going natural and within six days seen results and im 5 week in now and really starting to dread up..... and like SE said your black, so your hair will knot up way faster. well hope iif you still go to your family friend that you dont regret it and love you locks, good luck
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
Sounds pretty smart to me, I guess if you wanted to you could always add them later (not that i'm recommending it), but you'll probably fall in love with your natural locks anyway and will have avoided any possible problems. MJ said:
I think I may just talk the stylist into not adding extensions. As lovely as they look I do not want to have any problems

NaturalWomyn said:
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form