Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Second thoughts intruding.....

MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
Hey everyone! Need some words of encouragement here!!! Since my hair is pretty much "dreaded" now, I am getting a lot of comments when I am out and about. One of the very first things people ask me is "Are you dreading your whole head?" The second thing (like clockwork) they ask me is "What are you going to do WHEN you HAVE to take them out????"I have had EVERY person who has commented on my hair ask me that second question. I have never given it much thought. I know why I would have to take them out - job issues, of course. But, I was hoping it would not be an issue. Now I am starting to doubt my decision to dread. There is this little creeping thought that keeps entering my head all the time now. What if I lose the part time job I have? What would I do with my hair? Will I lose all my months of dedication? Should I be doing this at my age if I "might" have to re-enter the corporate world? Doubt... doubt... doubt...I don't like all these negative feelings, but I am having a hard time pushing away all the "what if's!" Does anyone have any words of advice or encouragement? Could really use some!!!!
updated by @midread: 01/13/15 08:39:58PM
Heather Gamble
@heather-gamble
14 years ago
145 posts
you know i hear people ask this a lot and i often wonder how a job could force u to cut your hair? a lot of people dread for religious reasons (i know a few personally) and that was all they had to say at work .. and really if you think its the locks keeping you from landing a job and your hair isnt a religious thing u can always cut it ..... as for people asking i tell them i have no intention to ever cut my hair PERIOD therefore the dreads will always be there.i mean i understand your "wat if's" well sort of i personally have never given a piss about having a job .... i mean at first cause i was an anti work anarchist punk kid and now for the same reason and i have an army of children so i really cant....and btw im 32..... i mean maybe if you cant get past the wat if thing then dreads may not be for u but i think u can i think u just need to learn how to win people over i mean if u have good references and such no one should judge you for the hair when it comes to work...and u can always play the religion card if u need too.
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
I never really gave it much thought until I had all the "comments." I don't really "care" about having a job either. Actually, I would prefer not to. Unfortunately, our financial situation requires that I bring in "some" money, so it is a necessary evil at this point. I was just shocked that the question was asked every single time someone commented on my hair!!! It has caused me to give it some thought. And now, I have these nagging concerns that I really didn't worry about before LOL! In my opinion, I have done much more extreme things to my hair, like cutting it SUPER short (G.I. Jane short) and coloring it "eggplant" purple (with no adverse reactions from people or jobs), but for some reason, the fact that I am dreading my hair seems to bring out some kind of shocking reaction from people about what I will do when they have to come off! When they HAVE to come off. Like it is inevitable that I will have to shave my head at some point!
Heather Gamble
@heather-gamble
14 years ago
145 posts
nah ur just being noided they dont HAVE to come off ever.. i think people ask those things when they see dreads because of the permanence of it where shaved grows back purple can be dyed etc and most people cant commit to their hair remaining one way for many years...it takes commitment and most dont have that....trends change people change their hair so they dont get it....i think youll be fine seriously ....oh and at this point i think a job woulda been less work for me than 5 kids are lol especially when 2 of them are 5 months old ..... MiDread said:
I never really gave it much thought until I had all the "comments." I don't really "care" about having a job either. Actually, I would prefer not to. Unfortunately, our financial situation requires that I bring in "some" money, so it is a necessary evil at this point. I was just shocked that the question was asked every single time someone commented on my hair!!! It has caused me to give it some thought. And now, I have these nagging concerns that I really didn't worry about before LOL! In my opinion, I have done much more extreme things to my hair, like cutting it SUPER short (G.I. Jane short) and coloring it "eggplant" purple (with no adverse reactions from people or jobs), but for some reason, the fact that I am dreading my hair seems to bring out some kind of shocking reaction from people about what I will do when they have to come off! When they HAVE to come off. Like it is inevitable that I will have to shave my head at some point!
Adrienne
@adrienne
14 years ago
1 posts
Man it doesn't matter what you do to yourself, if it's a little bit different someone out there will make your life difficult because of it. But there is hope, the workforce is becoming a lot more acceptable of peoples individuality. You just have to deal with each battle as they come. Either you take them out or you come to some compromise or whatever, but surely tying your hair back should take care of any issues a future or current employer might have. Neat hair is usually the stat quo, unless youre a guy and they want it short....just be yourself man. Dreads are clean, dreads are cool. At the absolute worst, hair can be shaved, permed, coloured, cut, dried, shaped, worn up, worn down, short, long and dreaded - just to name a few. Enjoy your hair and all your 'do's'.
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
I get the same question often. Here's what I say : " If I lose my job because of my dreads, then first off, I'll be getting unemployment so there will still be some money coming in. Second, if I lose a job because of my hair, then it's obvious that that job wasn't meant for me and there's something better looming on the horizon. Until then, I'll lean on the unemployment and keep my eyes open." It tends to blow people's minds...Also, if a job even threatens to do anything over your hair, inform them that your hair is like that for religious reasons, doesn't violate any form of policy or procedure (make sure to check before blurting that one out... but it does hold a hell of a lot of weight), and that you know your rights inside the company and aren't afraid to take legal action if fired because of your hair. Tends to shut them up really quickly, but you have to keep your tail out of trouble... I mean squeaky clean out of trouble. Also, make sure not to volunteer any information in that kind of situation. Don't give out what religion, just say 'religious reasons' usually that's enough. Most of the time if you tell an employer that you know your rights, and your hair is like that because of your religion, then they'll back off. It works the same way with telling a male manager that you're calling in due to 'female issues' (lol).
Jack Roth
@jack-roth
14 years ago
298 posts
i dont think about it, if they dont like me fuck them i dont like them :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
we live in a virtual world now if you really had to you could create a virtual business and a virtual persona of the perfect business woman (or man) and run a virtual business online hell you could have a cartoon rabit be your business representative and the face you put forwarddo yopu think the head of geico has green skin? but u better believe hes making millions in anominity noone knows what he looks like do you?why should it matter?if u lose a job create a job hell make dreading your job u work part time now what do u male WHAT IF U HAD ! CLIENT A DAY U HELPED TO START DREADS (t&r the gentlest way) it could be a raise hell maybe u should plan on losing your job fade it outstart spreading the word your starting your own thing then when its gioung well quiti was tal;ko=ing to my bro in law yesterday about how on the new site www.greentechnologyforums.com there was a blog posted about make your own solar panels that cost 200 not 3000maybe u could build solar panels for 200 sell for 800youd be reducing the ciost of going solar and making a nice proffit.just an idea we were thinking abouttheres many others u can trynobody really needs a job if thery just work for themselves

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Heather Gamble
@heather-gamble
14 years ago
145 posts
touche soaringeagle said:
we live in a virtual world now if you really had to you could create a virtual business and a virtual persona of the perfect business woman (or man) and run a virtual business online hell you could have a cartoon rabit be your business representative and the face you put forward
do yopu think the head of geico has green skin? but u better believe hes making millions in anominity noone knows what he looks like do you?

why should it matter?

if u lose a job create a job hell make dreading your job u work part time now what do u male WHAT IF U HAD ! CLIENT A DAY U HELPED TO START DREADS (t&r the gentlest way) it could be a raise hell maybe u should plan on losing your job fade it out
start spreading the word your starting your own thing then when its gioung well quit

i was tal;ko=ing to my bro in law yesterday about how on the new site www.greentechnologyforums.com there was a blog posted about make your own solar panels that cost 200 not 3000
maybe u could build solar panels for 200 sell for 800
youd be reducing the ciost of going solar and making a nice proffit.

just an idea we were thinking about
theres many others u can try

nobody really needs a job if thery just work for themselves

updated by @heather-gamble: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
Your happiness should come before any silly job. Like SE said, make a job work for you. Don't work for a job.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form