Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreads long term...

Kev
@kev
14 years ago
17 posts
Quick questions for those with older dreadheadshow thick were they when they startedand how thick are they now?i know they get thicker just wondering how differnt it is for others
updated by @kev: 01/13/15 08:39:57PM
Kev
@kev
14 years ago
17 posts
really i was hopping mines would get thickker :( is it diffent for others Melanie Leontine said:
My dreadlocks (and others I have done) have tightened and became thinner (not in a bad way) over time. I have found about 50% tightness occurs after a year, sometimes longer for others.

My dreads...

Day1: http://www.dreadlockssite.com/photo/after-9-hours-of-dreading?conte...

Now: http://www.dreadlockssite.com/photo/hittin-the-town?context=user#ax...
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
mine started out very thin and i kept em thin for tears then let them congo out of control last 2 years

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
backcombed tend tto be puffy sausages that get thinner crochet forceds them to be too thint&r and natural and backckcomb thats not all puffy get thicker as they shrinkmost thicken somewhatt&r yends to start off thinner then normalo and thicken as they matureit varies but most do thicken Kev said:
really i was hopping mines would get thickker :( is it diffent for others

Melanie Leontine said:
My dreadlocks (and others I have done) have tightened and became thinner (not in a bad way) over time. I have found about 50% tightness occurs after a year, sometimes longer for others.

My dreads...

Day1: http://www.dreadlockssite.com/photo/after-9-hours-of-dreading?conte...

Now: http://www.dreadlockssite.com/photo/hittin-the-town?context=user#ax...

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
I don't know if I really qualify, as my dreads aren't a year old yet, but mine have thickened up from how thin they were originally. Even in keeping the original sections from congoing (save for in two dreads... they were a bit too small for my liking) they have all bulked up quite a bit.
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
the mass added is the hairs that are shed. They stay inside the dreads and the new growth goes inaswell. Also for some time in the year they get shorter as they tighten(which is what makes the loops and kinks), this also makes them thicker Melanie Leontine said:
I am curious how dreads thicken over time? To create mass you have to add mass? and hair doesn't create mass down the shaft as it grows from the scalp. Is it lint, fluff etc that makes the dreadlocks thicken?
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
You're right, as I typed I started thinking more and how little it made sence xDThe thickening must come from the tightening. As it gets shorter it has to get thicker. Mine are quite young(1 month) but when I first did my twist and rips they were very thin with only a few big knots, now they are more even and thicker, but a little shorter Melanie Leontine said:
Hair doesn't grow inside the dreadlock though... it is dead hair, only growth come from under the the scalp lining. I can see how hair that sheds could fall down the outer shaft and latch onto the dreadlock, but I wouldn't imagine it is enough to thicken a dread considerably.

Had anyone got some before and after shots of then they first got their dreads and how their dreads look now after a few years showing an obvious thickening?
Earthstudios
@earthstudios
14 years ago
108 posts
Is your hair in good shape now or in bad shape, I have hair 2 feet long and it was hammered. My hair got way way thinner the closer you got to the ends, I'd say my end at 24 inches was only 25% thickness from the section at the root. So for me, my dreads are going to seem larger as time goes on. I wont be losing hair to breakage, it'll be staying in the dread.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form