Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I'm going to start my dreading journey soon :)

olduser
@old-user
15 years ago
15 posts
Hi all!I haven't started my dreading yet. I started really wanting them sometimes around April. I haven't actually combed my hair (but once or twice very recently) since January. It just kinda sat there and did nothing :-pSo I finally was able to buy a metal tooth comb the other day. A friend owes me a few dollars and when I get that back I'll be buying some Dr Bronner's. And then I'll start locking! I'm going to try to tie down one of my friends to help. She's had locks before so hopefully she knows what she's doing :)I am slightly worried about the locks needing a lot of maintenance. I am the worse kind of flaky/forgetful. But I'm pretty sure I'll do fine.
updated by @old-user: 02/14/15 09:38:22AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
how longs your hairusually if its longer it will lock naturaly fairly fastbut not always and short hairs harderif u backcomb with her help make damn sure thats all she doues and doesnt add ant crapno wax no gell nothingdreads are as low maintenance as u want them to be..or if your addicted to maintanance u canh make them high maintenance

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
olduser
@old-user
15 years ago
15 posts
Heya!I'm not putting any products in whatsoever. I've read the horrors of wax and such. I've also read the horrors of backcombing but I think it might be the best choice for my hair type. Its thin and slippery as hell. I can't usually have headbands or barrets or anything in because they slip out easily. Also, a hair dresser told me once that I have a -lot- of hair, its just really thin.My hair is sort of a medium length. Barely enough to put in a ponytail, bangs almost long enough to get in on the action. I thought maybe length had to do with why it wasn't ratting up. I remember getting some nasty tangles when it was long (I've had it about to my boobs before).Anyway, thanks for the reply. :)
olduser
@old-user
15 years ago
15 posts
angela englund said:
Heya!

I'm not putting any products in whatsoever. I've read the horrors of wax and such. I've also read the horrors of backcombing but I think it might be the best choice for my hair type. Its thin and slippery as hell. I can't usually have headbands or barrets or anything in because they slip out easily. Also, a hair dresser told me once that I have a -lot- of hair, its just really thin.

My hair is sort of a medium length. Barely enough to put in a ponytail, bangs almost long enough to get in on the action. I thought maybe length had to do with why it wasn't ratting up. I remember getting some nasty tangles when it was long (I've had it about to my boobs before).
*eta* I'm a very low maintenance gal. It makes me happy to hear that I don't have to be high maintenance :)
Anyway, thanks for the reply. :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
before u backcomb lets try some things1 wash with nutragena daily clsruifying to remove residues2 spray with sea salt and thyme teato reducve oiliness3 wear a wool hatif u dont get any profgress in a few weeks ..try twist n rip b4 backcomb

--
Alden
@alden
15 years ago
303 posts
angela englund said:
(I've had it about to my boobs before).
Haha..... you said 'boobs'.....I'm really glad to hear that you aren't using any product, that's your first step to great dreads!!! I can tell that yours are going to be beautiful!!! Can't wait to see pictures!!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
oh geez why ya get so excited over a word for a body part if she said ankle would u have mentioned it?theyre just boobsi cant think of a single girl i know who doesnt have themi think by now you'd be usede to them and the word wouldnt get ya all giggly and excitedboobs are everywherewhats the big deal?theyre just boobsnow i said boobs like 8 timesdoes that excite you?(just messin with u )

--
Alden
@alden
15 years ago
303 posts
Actually I'm cheesing and giggly just like a little girl, kinda embarrassing, but.... lol.... you said boobs like 8 times!!! lolBut onto the subject, I forgot to mention this in my post earlier, you won't have to worry about dreads being high maintenance, because if they are high maintenance then you're not doing something right! :-)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
yea the high maintanance only comes from over maintaining them to begin withfor exampleif u crochette them to maintain every tiny hair then you will end up recrochetting every week for life most likelyif u palmroll all the time you will feel the need to palm rioll all the time for yearssame with twisting root rubbing and everythingbut..u can let go and make your maintanance next to nothingbare minumum washingmaybe seperating oncfe a month and thats italotta ppl spend 4 hours a dayi might spend 15 minutes a year

--
HealingAmungTheTrees
@healingamungthetrees
15 years ago
93 posts
Hey angela, sounds like we have the same kind of hair. Mine is medium length and I can go ages without combing and not find a tangle. I did a minimum amount of back coming and twisting to get the process started and that worked great. Oh and I did not bother with a special comb. I bought a pack of cheap combs and it worked fine since I was not being too hard on my hair.Good luck!
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form