Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

no dread products are as good as no dreadlocks products

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
the title says it all with a few exceptions which i'll explain below as well as covering a few of the common products.african hair tends to require some moisturizing more often then other hair types, so using aloe vera is recommended more often. the common lock twist gels are aloe with "flavors" added typicaly mango and lime, they are ok for african hair even useful, but overpriced versions of stuff you can grow/make at home.sea salt, this is benificial to all hair types but african hair types trypicaly dry oit too easy so know your hair if your always fighting dryness dont use sea salt. this is commonly sold as "accelerator" but as a very expensive version. the ammount of accelerator you can make for 2 dollars by buying sea salt you can make 375 bottles the size dread companies charge 190 dollars for. 375 times more for 1/5 the price if you make your own sounds good dont it?baking soda acv wash this is the absolute best clean you can get soak your head in a baking soda solution 10 min then follow with a apple cider vinager after rince..very cheap to make, very easy to customize with herbs for scalp conditions very easy to alter for dryness oiliness conditions and through trial and error you can make a specific recipe thats custom made just for you.it cleans what soaps leave behind, often people who wash regularly with soap then use baking soda mix will find the rince waters brown from dirt left behind by dread shampoos.but what about dread wax and dread wax alternatives?the idea that dread wax helps dreads in any way is a mythbut it can glue in loose hairs somewhat so ill only address its usefullness in conditioning and holding in hairsto hold baby dreads together use beads not wax beads do no harm they alow movement and dreading without buildupto control frizz use aloe vera it washes right out with even cold waterto condition use aloe or use the vitamin e added to wax to make it conditionor use shae butter cocoa butter jojoba oil (best) even olive oilthe best dread products are home made or home grown.and dreads dread best with the absence of all productsproducts even home made ones (except for those used to wash) should be resserved for treatting conditions like drynesswhen using products to tidy up, use them only when you really must (formals hot dates whatever not daily or weekly use at all) tidy up products can slow progress if over used (well in african hair it can help to use aloe more often)on the other hand products like sea salt used to rush progress can cause dryness leading to having to use conditioners so with all products even the safest most natural its best to use less or none at all when you can get away with itwhen i started my dreads i used nothing but soap, and not even a good soap and dreaded really really fast (naturaly) faster then ive ever seen dreads dread when loaded down with 100 dollars worth of products.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 01/13/15 08:35:19PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
it shouldnt be hard more gel like u scrape iot out and it thins as its scraped but u can mix with water to make a spray too

--
Sammy Seven
@sammy-seven
14 years ago
19 posts
Thanks, S.E. this really helped. I was visiting my grandmother today and an african woman noticed i was locking my hair, and said they looked really good. I told her i was gonna start using sea salt, and she said it does work really well. She also said i should try using some of the gels you mentioned early in this post. She uses gels about every 2 months, no more than 1 month at a time. Should i try this?P.S. i hope to have new pics up soooon!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
african hair tends to be cvery dry so the gels are extra important for them the same gels in your hair would reduce dreading because your hair has a tendency towards the oposite using gels like aloe in your hair will be conditioning ..on a rare ocasion when your real dery its great..or when u must be tidy for a formal it will do the trick but too often will slow even reverse progress but once mature aloe or other conditioners can be useds more regularly as neededits all a matter of feel knowing your hhair knowing what its craving and what will help it lockafrican hair craves moisture and soaks it up like a sponge so gel will be sucked in making the hair healthy and happycaucausian hair with the same gell would be slimy slippert and resistent to knottingonce mature u only need to condition if they feel dryu wont need sea salt at all (altho a dip in the ocean will make em feel tighter)you'll get a feel for whst your dreads are craving but in general; youd want to avoid using anything except to correct a condition like drynessproducts even home made healythy ones shouldnt be used to help dreads dread as much as they should be used sparingly to keep dreads healthy and happy

--
That_Irie_Guy
@that-irie-guy
14 years ago
64 posts
What about gels. My momz picked this up for me not knowing anything just tryin to help me out lol. Bless her heart she had the best of intentions. It does have fragrance (parfume) in it.but it was on sell for a dolla ha
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
Oh ya my daughters hair gets super crispy if I don't keep up on moisturizer.I was using aloe but found it really dried her hair out too.Looks great and healthy and shiny for the day but then its super dry the next day.Then i switched to raw Shea which seems better but I saw some conditioner at the health store with NO chemicals in it and think I might splurge and buy that so I can condition once a week and then use Shea in between.We swim almost everyday in the Ocean in the summer so her hair is sooooo dry.A dread BROKE OFF!We were pretty sad about that :(So ya keep African hair types WELL moisturized.
savage
@savage
14 years ago
90 posts
umm...that aint a natural gel.lol it just has a natural name.it might slow down locking.petrolatum That_Irie_Guy said:
What about gels. My momz picked this up for me not knowing anything just tryin to help me out lol. Bless her heart she had the best of intentions. It does have fragrance (parfume) in it.but it was on sell for a dolla ha
savage
@savage
14 years ago
90 posts
but erie_guy its some stuff called loc n twist gel.but even thats not all natural.but its more natural then that.i kno from experience savage said:
umm...that aint a natural gel.lol it just has a natural name.it might slow down locking.petrolatum

That_Irie_Guy said:
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
the locking gels ok but not great..igf u have african hair if not ..wouldnt touch it savage said:
umm...that aint a natural gel.lol it just has a natural name.it might slow down locking.petrolatum

That_Irie_Guy said:
e locking gels are ok but not great..if u have african hair if not i wouldnt touch it

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form