Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Starting over(kind of)

Honeybee
@honeybee
14 years ago
21 posts
Before I found this site I had read about the backcombing and wax method that is plastered all over the web and honestly didn't know that all I had to do to get dreads was to stop combing my hair. Fortunately the idea of putting wax in my hair sounded horrible so I never took it that far but I did section and backcomb, anyways, I really started to dislike the way that my hair looked on the top with its little perfectly square sections so last night I combed out all of the dreads that were on the top of my head(took a few hours) and am going to just let them do their thing. So I was just curious if anyone else has ever done this. And thank you to everyone for all of your love,support and knowledge. This site rocks!! :)
updated by @honeybee: 01/13/15 08:34:58PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yea alot of people have started over most because of wax but a good number cause they regretted backcombing and wanted to go naturalhow far were u along when u decided to start over?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Honeybee
@honeybee
14 years ago
21 posts
I started them around St. Pattys Day so only about a month and a half. There were a few that took alot of effort to get out but I feel really good about my decision. Now I have no idea what to expect since I backcombed before so I'm pretty excited to see what happens:) soaringeagle said:
yea alot of people have started over most because of wax but a good number cause they regretted backcombing and wanted to go natural
how far were u along when u decided to start over?
Honeybee
@honeybee
14 years ago
21 posts
Thanks for the info :) I'll post new pics whenever I start to see progress. My hair has always been tangly so I'm figuring it won't take too long. I just wish I would've known better to begin with. I didn't mind the backcombing but the unnatural sectioning was really bugging me. But its all good now. And so the patience begins :Djust Knottysleeves said:
Hi Honeybee! If you comb out the backcombing, it's just like starting over from scratch on those sections, so no worries. Some (or a lot) of the backcombing will unravel during the first few months anyway, so your "patience" sections should blend in nicely once you have a few knots going. Can't wait to see how they turn out!

For my current set, I started most of them by backcombing but used twist & rip on the nape dreads just out of curiousity. The T&R ones took longer to knot up (though that's probably also because the nape hair is so soft & fine). I'm at 2 years now and they've all developed pretty much the same way... you can't tell which were backcombed and which were T&R'ed.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form