Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

partial dreads from full dreads

Lis  Will
@lis-will
14 years ago
1 posts
Hello! I've had dreads for about 4 years. I have straight hair, and my dread roots are about 1 inch from my scalp. My dreads are over 10 inches long.I'd like to make my dreadlocks looser at the roots, creating a more "partial" dread look. Basically, I'd like my hair to be straight out from the roots for about 4-5 inches, and then the rest be dreads.Any ideas on how i can create this look? Is there a way to loosen already locked roots (i know everyone is concerned with tightening them!). Is there a way to keep new growth from locking up?Thank you!LIsa W.
updated by @lis-will: 01/13/15 08:34:51PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
lots of conditioning and comb the roots as they grow?that would be my guessi dont think youd be able to loosen whats already dreaded at the rootsalso you should be lil careful how u do it as it grows so u dont pull out hairs and compact them into the dreaded parts just go easy on it dont rush it just do what u gotta to maintain the straight hair at the rootshope that helps..kinda an off question i hadnt heard before :)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lex
@lex
14 years ago
217 posts
I think I already posted this for you on another forum...but I think your easiest route (and the one that would require the least amount of fussing) would be to comb out a few dreads so that you have loose hair mixed with your dreadlocks. I honestly can not imagine what you would have to go through to find a way to pick apart your dreaded roots without damaging the structural integrity of your dreads.
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
i remember around the time I starting locking, I met an indian woman who had hers for (somewhere lke 7-10years) she had long ones down to her back,, but Also had about loose hair down to her shoulders, as in it was all locked down her back, but regular hair from her shoulders up,someone told me (oh thats what ur hair is gonna look like, so I was like no she musta done something to hers) so I went ahead an asked her, she said she just never let it lock up, and basically what everyone above said,it was still pretty bizarre to see, don't think I've seen anything else like that be4.
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
Really your idea sounds pretty cool, I personally like the look of longer, unknotted roots, but that really sounds like something that you'd have to plan for from the start. I'd worry that by doing a lot of work on the roots that I may break too many hairs and lose the whole dread. and combing it down sounds like it'd just compact at the 'top' of the dread and create a fat, firm nub that'd make the transition too obvious.I like the idea of using conditioner tho. That sounds like the least damaging theory thus far. Granted you'll have to let your hair grow more as you use this method, but what do you have dreads for if you're impatient? So I think you'll do just fine man.Good luck with your venture, hope you might post some pics as you go so we can see your progress. I've never heard of anyone being asked this question so I'm pretty interested in it.
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
I would think the conditioner or combing the roots AS they grow out would work like mentioned above rather than trying to unknot existing roots. Good luck keep us updated.
cass co
@cass-co
14 years ago
2 posts
I am also interested in doing this as well. I want to have some dreadlocks but don't want to have a full head. I feel it would be easier to keep my long hair if i want to cut them out. have you found out what the technique is to do this?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
simple dread the parts u want keep thye rest from dreadingu can add some beads and let em dread or twist n ripjust move the dreads outta the way to comb the rest cass co said:
I am also interested in doing this as well. I want to have some dreadlocks but don't want to have a full head. I feel it would be easier to keep my long hair if i want to cut them out. have you found out what the technique is to do this?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form