Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

What to expect

The Rapture of Exile
@the-rapture-of-exile
14 years ago
33 posts
Hey everyone, so my hair is aboout 3 inches long now. I haven't combed it, only been washing it and letting it dry inn the sun or lightly hairdrying it. Ive noticed my hair doing some funky stuff lately (I am caucasian w/ wavy hair BTW), and am just hoping to get an idea of what to expect from someone further along the road than I. my hair is clumping up a bit into tiny baby dreads that don't seem to go away after I wash and dry (maybe just re-forming? idk). I'm wondering if hair knots at the end of these funky little dreadlets or what? Also, hair is starting to curl on edges and what not. Just curious of whats going to happen, not that I'm 'dreading' it or anything. *pun intended. Thanks all!
updated by @the-rapture-of-exile: 01/13/15 08:33:34PM
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
14 years ago
458 posts
They'll generally start knotting from the middle, eventually some of the tips may curl in on themselves and become blunt tips. At 3 inches they are probably just starting to clump together and create the sections themselves. You should be noticing pretty soon that the hair that falls out on your pillow and in the shower wont be coming out anymore. It just takes a few knots in each to start making more knots, before you know it they will be tight dreads. I always hear it takes about 5 or 6 inches of hair for dreads but it seems like when just growing out your hair into dreads by the time it hits 5 inches you wont see it because it'll already be into it's shrinking. The slow growth can be an irritation....Don't know what you mean by curl on edges....
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
3 inches is lil short still but u could get dreads although typicaly 6 inch is around when they formwell dont watch too closely just seperate clumps that try to join togethersounds like you'll dread fast especially when u gain more length

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
The Rapture of Exile
@the-rapture-of-exile
14 years ago
33 posts
my hair is curling up on the edges of my head, above the ears... kind of defying gravity, hahaha. hopefully i'll get a camera soon and show you guys whats going on. I can sort of deduce where the first dreads are going to start-on the top of my head. It's cool to watch what's going on up there, like it has a life of its own! And yeah, you're right spider feet, it is just now starting to section itself, with a few intrepid loops poking out of the main section. Peace Spider Feet said:
They'll generally start knotting from the middle, eventually some of the tips may curl in on themselves and become blunt tips. At 3 inches they are probably just starting to clump together and create the sections themselves. You should be noticing pretty soon that the hair that falls out on your pillow and in the shower wont be coming out anymore. It just takes a few knots in each to start making more knots, before you know it they will be tight dreads. I always hear it takes about 5 or 6 inches of hair for dreads but it seems like when just growing out your hair into dreads by the time it hits 5 inches you wont see it because it'll already be into it's shrinking.

Don't know what you mean by curl on edges....
The Rapture of Exile
@the-rapture-of-exile
14 years ago
33 posts
that makes sense, when my hair was about 4 or 5 inches last year (before cutting, errrgh) i didn't do anything to it for like a week, and i tried to comb... HURT SO BAD, my scalp actually hurt after,lol. big old knot had formed in the middle. and i had been using conditioner and all that junk. This was before I learned about the neglect method, and thought a white persons hair wouldn't dread. . And when you say to seperate the clumps SE, is that to prevent congos? Great site by the way! soaringeagle said:
3 inches is lil short still but u could get dreads although typicaly 6 inch is around when they form

well dont watch too closely just seperate clumps that try to join together
sounds like you'll dread fast especially when u gain more length
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
14 years ago
458 posts
Kind of, more to give you a little more control in the size of each dread so that you don't end up having one huge dreadlock.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form