Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Getting dreads!

Joshua Frontin
@joshua-frontin
14 years ago
3 posts
Hey everyone! I'm looking to get dreads soon but I'm a little worries with my hair type. I'm white. My hair is very thin and very fine. I def want dreads, but are they going to look sparce with fine hair? Should i try smaller ones so they cover my whole head? My hair is 10in right now. What precautions should i take with fine, thin hair of this length?Also, I'm taking a trip to the virgin islands. I've read here and there that ocean water is good for dreads and helps the locking process. My brother is getting married and with the timing of other stuff, i'm looking to dread my hair the day before going to the islands. With my dreads only being a day old, will they unravel while swimming?Any advice would be appreciated! thanks!
updated by @joshua-frontin: 01/13/15 08:33:23PM
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
well I guess to start off, what method were you thinking about using? probably don't want a harsh method if your hair is thin, for the most part as time goes on thin hair hasn't really affected anyone that I've seen, there's alot of people with some nice mature locks even though they had thin hair.however you be4 starting you could just T&R one lock and see how you like it, or let your hair go natural till you go to the virgin islands and see if you get some "foundation" locks to start forming, because the ocean (salt water for that matter) is awesome for locking.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
with your hair at least begin natural ..let the hair section itself u can start that today then if u want continue natural or use the natural sections as a guide if u dread according to how your hair sections itself it will look the best it can

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Joshua Frontin
@joshua-frontin
14 years ago
3 posts
I've always looked at the backcombing method but now that i see so much about backcombing being bad i'm a little worried about it. I cant go completely natural cuz i'm the best man in my bro's wedding which just happens to be 4 days before i leave for the islands so i've only got about 4 days to let things go on their own. I'm looking more into the twist and rip method but i'm a little confused about how it works exactly. I can see how the backcomb method goes but i'm not so sure about twist and rip, like how they stay. Are there any good videos out there on twist and rip cuz i've been looking but cant find any. and on top of this, some people have said with thin straight hair washing your hair with bar soap helps dry it out and help lock better. good idea or no? they also say 1in squares for sectioning. Since my hair is thinner should i do smaller squares if i section myself? bigger?All advice and tips helpful! Keep them coming! Thanks so much!
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
you should just section it however you want, it doesn't affect anything, (thicker locks lock up faster) but it all works out in the end, did you check out any of the T&R videos on this site? worst case, you should practice it a bit, it's not too bad to learn how to do.some people like the bar soaps, personally never tried so can't comment on it, what do you wash with atm?
Joshua Frontin
@joshua-frontin
14 years ago
3 posts
I was looking at the T&R video on this site and i kinda see how it works but they look kinda loose. I understand no matter what i do, they will loosen up but as far as looking the best all around which is the best method? What is the difference in look between backcombing and T&R? What method did you use? Do you think its best to wait til after the wedding, rock it the natural way for a bit, then do the T&R or backcomb method on the starting dreads when i get back? which is the best method in your opinion?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
natural is best yes but t&r is acceptible too and easy being loose acrtualy helps if u ynr too tight it slows progressbackcomnb looks goofy for weeks tnr looks good from the startand does alot less damage Joshua Frontin said:
I was looking at the T&R video on this site and i kinda see how it works but they look kinda loose. I understand no matter what i do, they will loosen up but as far as looking the best all around which is the best method? What is the difference in look between backcombing and T&R? What method did you use? Do you think its best to wait til after the wedding, rock it the natural way for a bit, then do the T&R or backcomb method on the starting dreads when i get back? which is the best method in your opinion?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Reece Willmott - Rice
@reece-willmott-rice
14 years ago
5 posts
hey man, ive got thin hair, and i got my hair back combed into dreadlocks, before i found out about the damage it causes. on my head i dont have dread after dread after dread all perfectly lined up, but i still have 30 something dreadlocks, and they look good, but gaps are seem, mainly on the back of my head. but to be honest, im happy with my dreads, and i like how they look from what i can see in the mirror, so i have no complaints and no regrets. :)i wouldnt be able to advice u with technique, but i hope what ive said helps and all.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form