Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums
Storm
@storm
14 years ago
36 posts
I've been thinking about dreadlocking my hair for a long time. I have attempted singles before, just one here or there, and used the back-combing with Knotty Boy wax, but they wouldn't lock up and after a couple weeks would comb them out after putting up with my mother's complaining and threatening to cut them off. When I did those my hair was about shoulder length an straight (I have caucasian hair). Right now it is permed into a loose white-fro which is roughly 4-5 in long when straightened. The perm is grow out about a half an inch or so and I have henna color grown out about 2 in. I'm dyeing it black with natural dyes then going over it with natural red dyes to highlight it in the next couple days (my natural color is dark brown). I would very much like to attempt to dreadlock my entire head, and I think having the curly perm will help it to lock up instead of trying with straightened hair. I want to grow my hair out very badly and I think having dreadlocks will help keep me from growing bored and chopping it all off to a pixie cut I tend towards, but I'm afraid when I grow out my hair with dreads I'll have to cut them short anyway to take them out. Tips, tricks, advice, experiences, and warnings are greatly appreciated!
)O(
Aileen

updated by @storm: 02/14/15 06:26:51AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
1st never use wax!!n wax does not help dreads in fact it destroys dreads2 backcombings a poor method either natural or twist n rip is better3 u can take them out with damage but u shouldnt ever want to.. if u want to dread u should want to dread for life..losing your dreads can be very depressing..devastating even..they grow in your soul ass much as your headsince sdreads are an extention of your soul not just a style ..u want to be pure and natural as can be when growing or creatting and maintaining themgrowing natural dreads is like a meditation a dedication to your soulbut not everyones able to take that roure so twist and rip doesnt do the damage of backcombing, doesnt go againsty religios texts commanding no comb shall touvch the hair (although doesnt follow the full neglect philosophy either)twist n rip looks way better from the start and tends to usualy hold together better then backcombbut keep in mind wether u do alot or nothing at all to get started...all dreading must happen naturaly..all actual dreading that is ..crochetted dreads are woven not dreadeddreading is a natural process its your hair returning to its natural stateyou can kick start it but in the end u still must let nature do what nature does or you;;ll be constantly forcing them into fake dreads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Storm
@storm
14 years ago
36 posts
Thank you for your advice. Could you direct me towards some information on how to do the t&r method?I'm wanting to be able to grow out my hair very long to be able to have it loose and wavy or braided (many braids) but I've always wanted to try dreadlocks.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

Find more videos like this on dreadlock forums
real easy real fast and gentledont try to get it too tight or too loose some looseness is good to alow it to move rearage and become dreads..exrtememly loose and they'll fall apart unless u add beads

--
Storm
@storm
14 years ago
36 posts
Ok thank you. The method I had used before involved this. You alternate between backcombing and t&r then coat with a very light layer of wax and palm roll occasionally to help them lock up.I'll try this after I dye my hair perhaps. Is it relatively time consuming? Would it go faster with a friend?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yea never use wax ever wax ids dread deathtwist n rips fairly fast compared to backcombing u may want a freind to help with the backpalm rollings useless unless your just gluing it all into waxy candlesill say it a few times to stress how important it isnever use wax never use wax never ever ever use wax..oki think u know now wax is bad

--
Storm
@storm
14 years ago
36 posts
How am I killing my hair? CBD Makarov said:
No offense but I feel sad for your hair. You're killing it.
Storm
@storm
14 years ago
36 posts
Yes I am using natural plant-based dyes. (i.e. henna, indigo) CBD Makarov said:
lol. At least she is going to use natural dyes...I hope.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
backcombing ..rolling rubbing but backcombing your hair is covererd in scale like citicles that lay flat from normal combing but backcombing lifts those up ripping them off and shreading the hairpalm rolling does nothing at all unless your all full of waxor unless u palm roll so obsessivly you do friction damage Aileen "The Gypsy" said:
How am I killing my hair?

CBD Makarov said:
No offense but I feel sad for your hair. You're killing it.

--
Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
14 years ago
85 posts
Hey Aileen,I imagine it depends on what kind of hair you have, but T&R does take a fair amount of time. I spent about 2 weeks doing my own. I got better at it as I went, so the front half took the most time.I tried getting my girlfriend to help, but I wasn't satisfied with the way the dreads she did came out. I ended up undoing hers and going it alone.If you're going to T&R, be careful that you "twist" enough randomness into the bunches. If you keep separating the same bunches, you end up with locks that look braided.Also, most of my T&R fell out. Only the last inch of knotting stayed, and then real dreading started beneath that. If you're going to go this route, understand that the purpose is to create an environment in which hair dreads easily, not to MAKE dreads. This album represents my 14 weeks of dreading, started with T&R. Aileen "The Gypsy" said:
Ok thank you. The method I had used before involved this. You alternate between backcombing and t&r then coat with a very light layer of wax and palm roll occasionally to help them lock up.

I'll try this after I dye my hair perhaps. Is it relatively time consuming? Would it go faster with a friend?
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form