Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Most dreads migrated to one side of my head

Smxke
@smxke
6 years ago
17 posts

When starting my dreads they were all sectioned (one inch blocks, staggered), and they were pretty even on each side. However now they're about 4 months old and I have 7 dreads on the right side of my head and 20+ on the left side. I've been trying to do 3-4 hour sessions of separating the roots every day or every other day (my girlfriend does it so it depends when she has school and work) and it just seems to do absolutely nothing, the left side is matted like crazy at the roots and i don't know how I'm supposed to get them separated cause after separating for 2 hours she's only able to get like one or two dreads free and by the time she does 3 or 4 more dreads over the next few days, the ones she did first just go right back to how they were. I also only have 2 dreads on the back of my head and originally there were atleast 6 (I don't remember how many I had total at the start) so it seems like most of them moved to favor the left side of my head, which makes showering hell because of how heavy just the left side of my head is. When separating she does it carefully to try not to break as many hairs as possible too. Anyone have any ideas on how to get them where they're supposed to be? I'm out of ideas and it seems like every day they look worse. 

Bazooka Guru
@bazooka-guru
6 years ago
204 posts
Have you been separating them from the start? I separate a little but every day, and I do ALL OF THEM after every single wash while my hair is still wet.

If they're so matted at the roots you may be forced to comb out and start over. I hope someone else here has some better advice for you.😊
Smxke
@smxke
6 years ago
17 posts
In the first 2 months I didn't separate every day, I did it like once a week because I had just graduated hs and was being kicked out of my house so I had to find a place to live and couldn't properly care for them, along with moving and packing and all that crap. In September I started separating every day/every other day but not for very long sessions, and last month I started doing 2-3 hour sessions of separating. I tried to separate after showering when they were wet but it sounded and felt like a lot more hairs were breaking when it was wet and my girlfriend said it was harder to separate them wet, so we stopped that. I really don't want to comb them out as most of my dreads have a lot of progress, it's just the roots that are super screwed up. For all I know they could not be dreading and i just think they are, cause they feel like dreads in most areas texture wise, but they look like what a mad scientist would that got struck by lightning (like in cartoons and movies) if that made any sense.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

you have to break the hairs connecting the dreads it will sound like a ripping sound if you wait too long beween separating

it sounds like you aren't really separating at all

post pictures if they are to huge they may need to be started over

normally you separate when wet, and so few hairs need to be broken you hear and feel nothing

if they dread too fast or you wait too long there will be a ripping sound.. thats them separating if they are connected and you don't hearthat then you have not separated them at all

don't be timid,n grab em and pull them the dreads themselves can support about 1000 pounds they can take all the pulling youcan possibly do, its the connected hairs between them that need to disconnct and yes that takes breaking a few hairs.. but between dreads not inside dreads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Smxke
@smxke
6 years ago
17 posts
☮ soaring eagle ॐ:

its the connected hairs between them that need to disconnct and yes that takes breaking a few hairs.. but between dreads not inside dreads

Sorry I just saw your response now, didn't get an email for it like usual. So when hairs break its okay if it's between the dreads as long as it's not inside the dreads themselves?
We have been trying to separate them for a while, but every 3-4 hour session of separating only frees one or two dreads cause my girlfriend tries to be careful and not break any hairs. I have tried to get pictures of it but my hair color is super dark at the roots and with my texture of hair I can't even see to the roots below the dreads cause I don't have very good lighting. I'm gonna try messing with my light's setting since I do use smart lights, and see if I can get them bright enough to see anything.
Smxke
@smxke
6 years ago
17 posts
The best picture I could get of the matting is the back of my head where it's pretty much just pushed all the dreads to the left side/top of my head. We've been trying to start at the front as we just can't find a place to start separating in the back cause we don't actually know what goes where anymore.
20181111_173019~2.jpg
20181111_173019~2.jpg  •  663KB

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

geez yea you let that go way too long i don't think that can be separated without starting it over

you should have come on here long before it got to this stage

or you can go on and accept having massive dreads..

that seems to be 1 dread for the entire back of our head?

i would consider combing it out and when its dreading again make sure that section stays as probably 15 dreds not 1

--
Smxke
@smxke
6 years ago
17 posts
☮ soaring eagle ॐ:

that seems to be 1 dread for the entire back of our head?

i would consider combing it out and when its dreading again make sure that section stays as probably 15 dreds not 1

It seems like my email decided these reply notifications were spam so I haven't seen it, oops. Anyway

I can still feel that there are individual dreads back there, but they're matted together, we're gonna try to keep separating them but if they are too far gone like you say (they've been like that about a month) then I'm gonna get the rest on the top fixed and go for a high top fade and get rid of the dreads on the sides and back, i didn't do that originally cause of the maintenence of getting the sides and back trimmed like every 2 weeks (my hair grows fast and when I was young and had it short, my parents said that's how often they'd take me for haircuts, so I'm basing it off that). If I do get them cut is there anything I have to do to the top dreads to prepare for cutting the sides and back? Combing out and retrying is out of the question for me right now because if I didn't have the time to take care of them as much as they needed in the beginning before, I definitely won't have time for it now.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

u can trm the back and sides then let it grow and dread

--
FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
6 years ago
414 posts

Smxke: I'm gonna get the rest on the top fixed and go for a high top fade and get rid of the dreads on the sides and back, i didn't do that originally cause of the maintenence of getting the sides and back trimmed like every 2 weeks (my hair grows fast and when I was young and had it short, my parents said that's how often they'd take me for haircuts, so I'm basing it off that). 

Try twice a week.

--
I'm on Twitter @FemalePheromone
and Instagram @FemalePheromones
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form