Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hey everyone..

locdout
@locdout
6 years ago
31 posts

So of course I found this forum after I did my locs. I've been reading about all the different methods and my loctician seemed to have used a combination of 3 different methods. She back combed..then did some TnR, then a bit of crotchet (not much). She used a teeny, tiny amount of wax (like literally maybe half a dime size worth for my whole head). Then at the end she flipped and tucked them threw at the root (I think she did this twice and called it boxing them?). They look good and I'm happy with them, but now I'm wondering the best way to go about maintenance. I am suppose to go back in 3 months. My son had his hair done too. This is both of our first times. She told us to palm roll when we can, but it's not totally necessary. Just to make sure they stay separated. I've been reading on here about aloe vera gel. I have a plant, should I just use that when we palm roll? Oh, and she said do not wash for 3 weeks. Then sold me a bar of knotty boy starter soap to use after that.

updated by @locdout: 10/03/18 08:10:11AM
FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
6 years ago
414 posts
First off welcome to the forum. You're definitely not the first to not find this site until after you've had your hair done and you won't be the last (myself included)

To make it easier to read I'm going to tell you what's what in bullet points and then you can question any of them afterwards.

Your hair is not ruined in any way so don't panic.

Don't go back to her. You don't need to. She is taking money from you for nothing.

You definitely do need to wash your hair just not as regularly. The minimum is once per week but most people wash more often. Personally I wash mine 3 times a week.

Palm rolling does nothing. It might make some loose hairs look like they have tucked into the dread but by the next morning they will be back where they were. Over time they will slowly pull themselves in and become part of the dread.

As for separating the easiest way is to do it after you wash when your hair is still damp. Just grab 2 dreads that are next to each other and pull them in opposite directions. Do this all over.

As your hair grows you will find that the roots will get quite long without locking but don't worry they will lock in their own time. You will hear different ways to get them to lock up like "clockwise rubbing" but all this really does is damage the hair and scalp.

Lastly this is just an observation from your first pic but you will find the roots will lock up quicker if they are free to move. If you tie your hair up a lot you are keeping them restricted and it will take a lot longer. Just try not to keep them tied up too often.

That's all I can think of for now. Like I said if you've got any questions feel free to ask. There will always be someone around to answer.

--
I'm on Twitter @FemalePheromone
and Instagram @FemalePheromones
Bazooka Guru
@bazooka-guru
6 years ago
204 posts
The wax was a bad idea. You may need to use a product to remove it, as wax can cause your locks to hold water, which can cause mildew. Palm rolling really accomplishes nothing. And wait 3 weeks to wash?! 😲 I'm not sure how to address all of these things. I guess going forward, I would just wash every couple days and separate them when they try to eat each other. Idk that I would wait 3 weeks for the first wash...

I'm sure other members here can address these things better than I can.
FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
6 years ago
414 posts
Bazooka I beat you by 11 seconds!

--
Bazooka Guru
@bazooka-guru
6 years ago
204 posts
Haha @femalepheromones wr posted at the same time.😂 I'm glad you're here!
locdout
@locdout
6 years ago
31 posts

Thanks so much for the responses. I have been worried about where to go from this point on. I can't even tell there is wax in them. Do you think I can just not worry about removing it? Or do it later down the road if I notice it causing problems? She seriously used the smallest amount. I am definitely going to follow all of the advice given. Wash regularly, and hope it all just sorts itself out naturally. Should I use my aloe plant? I will have to appear neat and tidy for my job. My boss is very conservative...although I'm sure the dogs and cats don't care (vet assistant).

Bazooka Guru
@bazooka-guru
6 years ago
204 posts
You could tie half of them back, or tie all of them up with a scarf, or tuck them all into a dread sock (like a really wide headband). I've never used aloe, but when I had court I used flaxseed gel on a few and it helped tame the frizz a bit.
FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
6 years ago
414 posts

I keep mine tied up at work but just make sure I only use loose hairbands so it just holds the hair together rather than pulling it tight so the hair is still loose at the roots.

As far as wax goes I have no idea what sort of wax they use. Is it the sort of wax you would style your hair with if it was short or is it like candle wax? If it's the former have a bath and really soak them in hot water and it should just wash out really easily.

@bazooka-guru it's quite a shock. I hardly ever seem to be online at the same time as anyone else.

--

updated by @femalepheromones: 08/20/18 02:26:04PM
locdout
@locdout
6 years ago
31 posts

It was this wax (light one, not dark)....and a super small amount. I can't tell that any is even in there and I saw how much was used out of the teeny tiny container. It's literally like just a tiny dab for my whole head. It does contain beeswax though :( 

https://www.knottyboy.com/shop/product/dread_wax/

updated by @locdout: 08/20/18 02:32:32PM
locdout
@locdout
6 years ago
31 posts

The description says "naturally breaks down and washes out gradually with every hot, steamy shower when not reapplied"

Ingredients are:  Beeswax, Castor Seed Oil, Shea Butter, Hemp Seed Oil, Avocado Oil, Kukui Seed Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil, Vitamin E

/ 8

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form