Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I just finished having my dreads put in by my son, who has natural dreads...it tooks us about a week....my hair was down to my waist.

momma has dreads
@momma-has-dreads
14 years ago
159 posts
My dread are now a few inches shorter than that now. I had my son back comb/split/palm roll and back to back combing.....repeat. We could only do a few each day....talking about pain...wow.... I have wash them with the baking soda/H2O mix, rinsed with the vinegar/H2O and also did a salt water/H2O rinse. They dried out on the fuzzy side. I plan on using no wax. Will be using Aloe Vera gel (100%) and would like to hear from others as to what works for you on taming them a bit more. Will those wild loose ends find their way into the main body of the dread on their own in time? I plan not to use the crochet needle.....any thoughts on that would be helpful to me. I see that on the top of my head there are short loose wide hairs going no where.....will these hairs find their way into a dread on their own in time?
peace out

updated by @momma-has-dreads: 01/13/15 08:30:59PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
dreads dread, your sons got natural dreads that probly were your inspiration to dread, so you should already know if left to dread all things end up right with beautiful dreads, but both the pain and the worry are the backcombers m.o., you tink your creatting dreads instead of just backcombiung hair, so you start to worry when the backcokmbede hair doesnt look like perfect dreadsrelax.. your hair will dread just fineloose hair gets less but never really is goneundreaded sections will dread or join dreadesif u do nothing you get dreads, teres nothing to worry aqbout cause its the natural progression..enjoy ot allow it and stop worrying bout itpatience

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
momma has dreads
@momma-has-dreads
14 years ago
159 posts
Got it. Thanks. I fell I will need to do a little to tame the frizzy...I work with the public and do not want to scare my customers....not to badly at first any way. peace and thank for your input. soaringeagle said:
dreads dread, your sons got natural dreads that probly were your inspiration to dread, so you should already know if left to dread all things end up right with beautiful dreads, but both the pain and the worry are the backcombers m.o., you tink your creatting dreads instead of just backcombiung hair, so you start to worry when the backcokmbede hair doesnt look like perfect dreads

relax.. your hair will dread just fine
loose hair gets less but never really is gone
undreaded sections will dread or join dreades
if u do nothing you get dreads, teres nothing to worry aqbout cause its the natural progression..enjoy ot allow it and stop worrying bout it
patience
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
use lil aloe wen u need to but too much can slow progression making te frizziness last longer so use only as needed, best way to be pressentable just tie em back

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
theres a group on here "the dread quest is a family quest" or something like that both for parents with dreads who let theyre kids dread and for kids wit dreads who influence theyre parents to dread\this sites got some unique groups like tat tat ive never seen anywhere else

--
hippie mama
@hippie-mama
14 years ago
154 posts
the site that se was talkin about is called the dread quest is a family one and we would love to have u apart of it. my hubby and i both have backcombed dreads and now our son has dreads but we decided to do his naturally/neglect method. very simular to your stroy just a little backwards. lol. i mean now my hair has matured backcombed dreads then i have these little new baby dreads that i decided to let them go dready themselve and i have an addiction to clockwise rubbing so i still do that to the newbys but im sure your looseys will dread on there own lady. and the only bad part about backcombing besides the breakage is that its really a method that u need to keep up with. when i did mine for example i back combed repeatedly soon they would loosen but it does help if u keep ur hair up or wear a tam. the up side is the more u backcomb the less sensitive ur scap get so eventually it just wont hurt no more really but that takes alot of time. but good luck on your and your sons journey and hopefully we might see u in the group. i would love to learn more about u and ur families dread journey.
Vinny
@vinny
14 years ago
82 posts
I really really don't think it's supposed to hurt in the first place, mild discomfort maybe but definitely no pain. When I backcombed my hair the only thing that hurt were my arms because of all the combing and combing. And even though i wasn't hurting myself i still managed to do an super awesomely tight job and never had to backcomb again. I think most people do it too aggressive and too fast, or something, and end up with a "shabby" backcombing job. That's kinda just speculation on my part though. hippie mama said:
... the more u backcomb the less sensitive ur scap get so eventually it just wont hurt no more really but that takes alot of time.
momma has dreads
@momma-has-dreads
14 years ago
159 posts
I just read your response to my son...he says yeh he was a little rough. Like yeh he was....I now know and lived through a aggressive back comber.....Thanks for your insight. LOL too.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
when you backcomb yourself you feel pain so dont pull so hard, wen someone backcombs for you tey cant feel wat you feel so pull and are extra agressiveive heard a moter of 4 say its worse ten giving birthte pain and dammage can be extreme , ripping air out at the roots, shreading the hair shaftsi would never recomend rebackcombing, once does enough dammage, repeatting it tears hair uphair safts are covered with scale like cuticles, combing flattens them, but backcombing makes them stand out like barbs, or rips them off exposing the weaker shaft beneath, this can lead to split ends (in 80's style backcimbing just to add volume) in agressive backcombing to maje dreads it can break hair shafts in many places and rip em out at te roots, often u migt see te ezxposed roots (looks like a skin tag) on te outside of te dread

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form