Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New! Questions about Method, Maintenance, & dreads in the workplace.

Storm Duncan
@storm-duncan
10 years ago
1 posts
I want to have some control over how my dreads look, how they're sectioned, etc. So I am considering TnR. I've heard they fall out. Why? How do I prevent/fix that? Am I reeeeally going to have any control over how they turn out?I'd really love open ends and un locked roots. Is this possible? If so, how would I achieve this?What in store brand of soap/shampoo would you reccomend? Something I can get at walmart.Lastly, will putting them in a bun for work hinder the process? If so, how can I 'hide' them?
updated by @storm-duncan: 01/13/15 10:01:54PM
taye
@taye
10 years ago
833 posts

Welcome to the site Storm,

TnR is a starting method. A starting method is like an outline for a book. The basic shape is there but, all the context is missing. With TnR you do section, which will give you some control over the size of your dreads. It is important to remember that you base your sections on the scalp grid and not on the amount of hair. Your hair will knot up, shrink and thicken. Typically a 1 inch square will become a one inch dread. (If your hair is very thin, it may not be quite an inch).

TnR will loosen up in order to form these knots. The locks that I used TnR on did not fully fall out but I know other people whose did. Hair can not knot unless it moves. Hair has to tangle around on itself. It takes time. At least a year in fact. Knots are tangles. Tangles are messy. Be prepared for it.

I also like the look of unlocked tips. My hair does not want to do that though. My ends knot up first, form balls and then round out. That is just the way my hair wants to be. So you really don't have much of a choice....your hair will decide for you. With roots, It is normal and healthy to have an inch (or less when mature) of unlocked hair. In the early stages of knotting...you will probably have even more.

Putting your hair in a bun for work will hinder the progress. Hair needs to be moving in order to knot. I understand that you may need to look "professional." The way to deal with that is to leave your hair down the rest of the time. ONLY wear it up at work and that is only if you have to.

It is important to use a non residue shampoo. Walmart does not usually offer very good shampoos for anybody dreads or no dreads. But some carry a brand called "Kiss My Face". Their " Whenever" shampoo is non residue and has a pleasant citrus smell. Your local health food store should carry it if Walmart does not. It is the best, cheapest store-bought shampoo that I have found

I hope that helped. :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

walmart carries baking soda and acv wich is 1 option..and dr bronners (not in the shampoo isl) wich can work if you dont have hard water

id also like to state that legally you have 1 legal deffence in the workplace.. dreadlocks are spiritual or religious

but spititual dreades have to be natural

do not try to hide them

why would ypu? your proud of them and who you are

just try to make them presentable by tying back looselu

wearing a scarg or tam..on the really messy days.the restof the time leave em down

do an up do when you really have to look your best

but

its a job..unless your a model or actress how you look should make no diference to your job

remember 1/2 the ppl in the world arent that good looking many are kinda ugly..yet they work thier jobs just fine without having to look good to do it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form