Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Is it absolutely necessary to condition your hair?

Sarahface
@sarah16
11 years ago
108 posts

Hello everyone! I have been washing my hair mainly with baking soda since I started dreading 11 months ago. I have used Vicki's Shampoo off and on throughout my journey but with how expensive it is, I just can't afford to buy it often and although it smells amazing, I don't feel like it's something I MUST have when I have baking soda easily on hand.

I have never conditioned with apple cider vinegar after washing with baking soda. Never. And I am wondering if this might have some kind of long-term damaging effects on my hair. To me, my hair feels fine. I have absolutely no dandruff unless it has been too long without a wash, when my scalp starts itching. But that generally takes around four days. My husband also washes with only BS and he is not dreading, but he also hasn't had any dandruff or itchiness problems.

So what do you think? Anyone else wash only with baking soda? Is not conditioning going to make my hair fall out over time?

updated by @sarah16: 01/13/15 09:59:38PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

it is absolutely nesacary to use acv after bs except for a short period to correct an overly oiliness issue

you see hair is meant to be slightly acidic

baking soda is an alkaline

acv an acid

if the hairs ph is not in the corect range it wont be healthy

acv is nesacary to reset the ph ballance

get a ph tester run water through yoir hair and test the ph of the water that drips out to see how far off the ph ballance is

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sarahface
@sarah16
11 years ago
108 posts

where would I get a PH tester? And is it expensive? I'm extremely tight on cash so I'm not sure its even possible at the moment. D:

Thank you for replying, SE. I might just get over myself and do the vinegar step next hair-wash day. I want healthy hair! I'm just so incredibly lazy and the less steps I take in the shower, the better. :P

soaring eagle said:

it is absolutely nesacary to use acv after bs except for a short period to correct an overly oiliness issue

you see hair is meant to be slightly acidic

baking soda is an alkaline

acv an acid

if the hairs ph is not in the corect range it wont be healthy

acv is nesacary to reset the ph ballance

get a ph tester run water through yoir hair and test the ph of the water that drips out to see how far off the ph ballance is

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

no idea where to get it but cant imagine it costs much just basicly litumis paper and a comparison chart

but if u use the vinager regularly u shouldnt need to worry

its not a big extra step ..pour on and rinse (if under a year) or soak 3 min if over

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sarahface
@sarah16
11 years ago
108 posts

Alright, thank you! :) If i manage to find the PH tester I will give it a shot.

Bob Ngarly
@bob-ngarly
11 years ago
161 posts

I didnt use ACV very much when i first started washing with baking soda. Since my hair is locked up more now, i use it when i wash. I think it helps because i wash once a week lately and my scalp starts to itch as you mentioned. After a ACV rinse it doesnt itch.

ACV is really cheap if that is your concern... like $2.00 for a big jug of it.

But to answer your question no i don't think that it is necessary every time.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form