Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Sea salt sprays

Sean Ford
@sean-ford
11 years ago
2 posts

This is just my own experience. I just used my first sea salt and lime juice spray. I mixed 3 table spoons of sea salt to 1 cup of boiling water and the juice from half of a lime. I used a spray bottle with a fine mist and gave my dreads a generous soaking. I then stepped into the Florida sun for some vitamin D and heat as I heard it was also good for the progress of locking up. The results were almost immediate. My dreads seemed to dry out quite fast and hold/form their shape very nicely. I was wondering how long I should let the sea salt and lime juice stay in my hair. Will the lime juice eventually get funky? Is leaving sea salt in my hair for an extended period of time harmful to the hair itself? I wash my hair once a week with Dr. Bronner's and tea tree oil and haven't yet this week because I wanted to try out the sea salt spray. Should I have washed my dreads before using the spray? Anyone with answers or a similar story and how you use or don't use sea salt sprays would be supper helpful.

updated by @sean-ford: 01/13/15 09:59:31PM
taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

Lemon/lime juice has a low ph level. That means that it is acidic and not good for your hair. It will make it brittle. Brittle means breakage down the line. It might not show damage for a while but if you want to keep your dreads healthy and happy for years to come....don't use it.

Sea salt is wonderful to help get knots started...but then again your hair can become too dry and cause breakage. A little is helpful too much is bad. Don't leave it in for long periods of time. It is best to spray your hair with it about 2 hours before you wash it. Any longer can be too drying.

I know that in the first year it is hard to be patient with dreads but if you want to keep them healthy for many years it is best to just let them be. I know lots of people who have had dreads for 3 months that say it does no harm and then 3 years later their dreads are breaking and they say I wish I had not done that.

Your mixture also contains way too much salt. I would not use over a tablespoon full in 32 oz of water

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

never use lemon or lime juice the citrus and heat/sun sill bleach the hair but citrus left in will weaken anddamage the hair

use sea salt before washing 2 hoiurs b4 always rinse it out after no more then 2 hours

heat has nothing to do with it the only thing heat does is interact with the lemon/lime and cause it to bleach

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

3 tablespoons o a cups wayyyyyy too much

proper mixes

\

• 1 1/2 tsp per 8 oz (1 cup) water
  • 1 TBSP per 16 oz (1 pint)
  • 2 TBSP per 32 oz (1 quart)
  • 4 TBSP per 64 oz (1/2 gallon)
  • 8 TBSP per 128 oz (1 gallon)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sean Ford
@sean-ford
11 years ago
2 posts

Thank you Taye and SE for the much need help. I have washed it out and will use proper measures in the future. On another note... What are your thoughts on Dr. Bronner's shampoo?

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

I have used Dr, Bronners on my body for almost 30 years. I love it!! I even wash my dogs in it. But I don't like to wash my hair with it. It just does not rinse out well and leaves my dreads feeling dirty. It needs to really really be diluted to use. Lots of people swear by it for dreads. There is nothing wrong with it...I just prefer other shampoos.

I use Kiss my Face brand "Whenever" shampoo a lot. It has a nice clean citrus smell. It leaves my hair feeling really clean. I also use Vicki's dread soap. I love the Dragon's Blood one!! It smells wonderful.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form