dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Very thin and very tight baby dread??

WillowBaby
@willowbaby
11 years ago
2 posts

HI THERE!!!!!

So I've been wanting and loving dreads for almost five years now. In a few days I will dread everything but my bangs! How exciting!!! My only dilemma now is how big I want them. I made a few medium sized ones and one thin one with the twist and rip method. I have very straight hair by the way. My medium sized dreads don't seem very well made and want to loosen up quite a bit. I feel like it might be because of my hair type becauseI did it very tight to begin. But my tiny thin dread is very very tight! I like it but im wondering if I even did it well since it has a whole bunch of single strands every where poking out and making little loops. My question is did I make it too tight and will it eventually smooth out? Idk tell me what you guys think please!! Im not sure if im just worrying too much either..... I see everyone elses new dread photos and they are always so fluffy and then they get tighter over time but idk if its because this is a really thin dread? Will my dread thicken up over time? Here aretwo pictures:

Thanks much!!

WillowBaby

updated by @willowbaby: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

they are suposed to loosen up but yea they will thicken up

make em too tiggt and they take longer to dread too loose and they fall apart and dread naturaly if u tnr u shouldnt try to do it super tight

how big are the sections at the scalp and how big well stop combing today let them section themselves the way they want

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

A great idea when you T&R is to let your hair naturally separate into sections first. That way the hair tells you where it wants to go. In regards to size, as Soaring Eagle said, they size of the mature dread will be the size of where that section meets the scalp. It will not be the size of what you see right now, it changes, loops, shrinks and thickens up. Whether you let your hair sections naturally, or whether you make the sections yourself, unless you want fat dreads, make the sections 1 inch or smaller at the scalp. This is the ideal size that allows mature dreads to naturally dry within 24 hours. Any fatter than 1 inch can take 2 or 3 days (depending on the size) to fully dry within the center of the dread.

When you do T&R, here is a tip: instead of going Twist Rip Twist Rip etc.....go Twist Rip Rip Rip Twist Rip Rip Rip Rip Twist etc. This way you will not get a braided look at first. Other than that, don't do it really tight.....If you have any questions about T&R, just ask....peace

WillowBaby
@willowbaby
11 years ago
2 posts

About how long does it take normally for the hair to section off naturally?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

varies alot

hours days..90% or more tho in a week or 2 or less

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form