Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Just beginning.....

Elizabeth Starr
@elizabeth-starr
11 years ago
3 posts
So I'm just starting out on making my dreadlocks. I've had 1 for 2 1/2 months and the other for about a month. I started them both a little haphazardly. They are both at my neck. The first is about an inch & 1/2 at the root and the other takes up the rest of the bottom of my hair (if that makes sense?) so maybe 2 1/2 inches? This one is really loose at the root and a lot of loose hairs. I feel like I should take it out and make it into 2. Or should I just let it be and make the rest of my hair be in neat sections?
updated by @elizabeth-starr: 01/13/15 09:56:12PM
Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

I'd split the thicker one into two if I were you. You don't want very thick dreads, at least, not unless you know exactly what you're getting yourself into. The thicker the dread, the longer it takes to dry. And the longer it takes to dry, the higher the risk of getting mold if you're not very careful.

Why do you have just two dreads? Are you planning on dreading your whole head, or just those two?

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Elizabeth. Those are fat, really fat. Once they mature they will be huge and take two or three days to dry. If you are prepared for that, then go for the fat dreads. Otherwise, separate them into smaller sections, nothing larger than 1 inch. When dreads are starting, the roots are loose 3-4 inches, once they are mature, the roots are still loose, about 1 inch. This is so the section can move freely, not putting stress on the scalp. Dreads take 1-2 years to mature, whether it be neglect, twist & rip or back combing, so yeah, loose hairs will still be there. If you plan to do the rest of your hair in dreads, do it a favor and let it section naturally first. If you force it into sections, you might find some dividing at the root area because that is not where the hair wanted to go. It only takes a couple of weeks for sections to form, if any are too large, just divide them.....peace

Elizabeth Starr
@elizabeth-starr
11 years ago
3 posts
Thank you for the input! I am planning on doing the majority of my hair soon...maybe even this weekend! (going to leave a little on the top/front) I just started with 2 to see how it would be etc. So, I will separate the big one...should I take it out and redo it into 2? Or try to just separate it? I've read a little about that but not sure exactly what is involved. Thank again!
Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

Two if you want, but if you want natural sections, comb it out and then leave it alone and your hair will actually separate the combed out dread into sections itself, and then you'll be able to redo it in the sections it's already in :)

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi, you would have to take it out, being a twist & rip dreads you would not be able to separate it as the hairs are all intertwined to each other. The only time you can separate is if it is neglect just starting out, or if it is two or more dreads joined together. You can T&R them right away again if you want, you can get 2-4 sections out of that large dreads, just depends what size you want. Once you take it apart, feel around that section of hair, chances are you might be able to feel where it wants to separate naturally, if so, then use those. Don't forget, if you want to T&R the rest, let it section naturally first. So you can even wait to do the one you take apart if you are doing the rest of your head. Give it a couple of weeks and let your hair do its thing, you'll be amazed what it does simply by not brushing!...If you go fully neglect, then yep, just comb out that section and let it be.....hope this helps..........pleace

Elizabeth Starr
@elizabeth-starr
11 years ago
3 posts
Thank you so much! Yes that helps a lot. I will let it start sectioning on its own :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

u should take both out right away and let em sextion themselves but none over an inch

u will have a beavertail in no time the way your going now the 2 1/2 inch 1 will be the thickness of your arm the other almost wrist size and they are very likely to combine into 1 dread the size of your leg

those 2 should be 5 or more well 6 or more

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form